•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade 305 reloaded

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 AaronM

AaronM

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: NRW, Germany

Posted 14 December 2018 - 03:07 PM

Hi friends,

these days I bought a Meade 305 OTA for a very low price. OTA was full with scratches and chips, but optics are clear and superb, as a quick star test showed.wink.gif

In my last 20 years of collecting scopes, I have around 15 of these Towa 339 clones, and so i wonder, if this Meade modell will show really 80 mm free aperture ( the towas 339 I had, did ).

So I made the clear aperture test - and there was "only" 76 mm free aperturewink.gif

not really a problem, but I was mad enough to rhink again abaout an OTA extension ( made that a long time ago and showed it here on CN ), but : I was a bit lazy these day - again buying an alu-pipe, again starting the lathe, again painting, again drilling and cutting threads ??? Hm...I'm so tired....bigblush.gif

Well ...and as I taje a closer look to the Meade OAZ I saw that this is the type of OAZ that is screwed in the end-ring of the OTA ! In the past I have also Towa 330 clones that had the OAZ in one peace....but this one is screwable !

And as I look at the inner thread of the end.ring I wonder if its could be M68 ???? Trying to fit some M68 adaptors..and voila ! They fit !!!!

So it was a quick job for the OTA "extension" . I added 120 mm with M68 rings as shown in the pics, also cutting the inner fine-tube. Made new clear aperture test : and we have 80 mm free aperture !

Painting the OTA new ??? No...this time short ways and quick solutions : so I foiled the OTA with a nice white shining foil and it looks like new.

Meade 305 reloaded for quick-time moon-watchingwink.gif  I still like these old japanese guys ! Must be from around 1978 I guess, no spacers, but the "modern" PET distance ring between the lenses. Very sharp and nice optic !

Kind regards from good old germany, yours Michael Aaron

Attached Thumbnails

• meade305m68.JPG
  • meade305m68a.JPG

Edited by AaronM, 14 December 2018 - 03:16 PM.

• Bomber Bob and cookjaiii like this

#2 AaronM

AaronM

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 14 December 2018 - 03:11 PM

..more pics...what I special like on the Meade models is the fine little right-angle finder. That is never found on the Towa 339, the Tasco 10k and others....nice finder !

Attached Thumbnails

• meade305m68turret.JPG
  • meade305PASSED.JPG

Edited by AaronM, 14 December 2018 - 03:15 PM.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#3 AaronM

AaronM

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 14 December 2018 - 03:17 PM

poor mans "APO" lol.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• poormansapo2.JPG
  • meade305c.JPG

Edited by AaronM, 14 December 2018 - 03:39 PM.

• TAS, deepwoods1 and Bomber Bob like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics