•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Ioptron Cube G, No Text Hand Controller

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CableGuy

CableGuy

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 December 2018 - 04:09 PM

I cam across a really deal on a Ioptron Cube G that was supposedly used once, then set in a corner of a room for 4 years.

I threw batteries in it when I a got it home. The mount turns on, the hand controller backlight is on and I can slew the mount with the directional arrows on the controller. The problem is there is no menu system showing in the display of the hand controller even though it's backlit.

Ive tried several times to flash the hc with new firmware though it doesnt seem like this mounts drivers are compatible with windows 10. Im getting a error code 10 in device manager when attempting to connect the mount.

So out of ideas I figured Id run this buy you all.. Any suggestions, or known solutions?

If I don't get it fixed tonight Ill probably call Ioptron on Monday to see if they can help.

Thanks Jer

#2 biz

biz

Vendor

• ****-
  • Vendors
  • Loc: New Zealand

Posted 16 December 2018 - 07:11 PM

I cam across a really deal on a Ioptron Cube G that was supposedly used once, then set in a corner of a room for 4 years.

I threw batteries in it when I a got it home. The mount turns on, the hand controller backlight is on and I can slew the mount with the directional arrows on the controller. The problem is there is no menu system showing in the display of the hand controller even though it's backlit.

Ive tried several times to flash the hc with new firmware though it doesnt seem like this mounts drivers are compatible with windows 10. Im getting a error code 10 in device manager when attempting to connect the mount.

So out of ideas I figured Id run this buy you all.. Any suggestions, or known solutions?

If I don't get it fixed tonight Ill probably call Ioptron on Monday to see if they can help.

Thanks Jer

Hi,

Two things I can suggest you try..

Remove the back from the hand controller and reset the ribbon cable in its socket.. just slide the little levers each side of the socket and remove and refit the ribbon cable then slide back the levers. Make sure you push the ribbon cable right the way in.

While you have the back off the hand controller case replace the button cell battery as it will most likely be down on voltage.

Try that first and see what happens.

cheers

Graham

#3 CableGuy

CableGuy

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 December 2018 - 02:31 PM

i did try reseating the ribbon cable into it's socket, the ribbon itself looks damaged. It looks like a bad design. The back of the hand control has two corners  that push right down on the cable when assembled. The corners are molded plastic meant to reinforce the hanger bracket. From the looks of it there are two pin holes in the ribbon cable from that.

I dont see a button battery though, sure these little alt az hand controls have a battery?

Thanks Biz

#4 biz

biz

Vendor

• ****-
  • Vendors
  • Loc: New Zealand

Posted 17 December 2018 - 05:09 PM

i did try reseating the ribbon cable into it's socket, the ribbon itself looks damaged. It looks like a bad design. The back of the hand control has two corners  that push right down on the cable when assembled. The corners are molded plastic meant to reinforce the hanger bracket. From the looks of it there are two pin holes in the ribbon cable from that.

I dont see a button battery though, sure these little alt az hand controls have a battery?

Thanks Biz

What is the number of the hand controller ?   Like, is it an 8401?

Can you put up on here a photo of the insides?

cheers

Graham

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics