•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Lunt LS50 DS vs. Quark

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Cometeer

Cometeer

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: SF Bay Area, California or Illinois

Posted 16 December 2018 - 04:45 PM

So I've recently been thinking about purchasing a quark. I already have a Lunt LS50 double stacked, but would like to get some views at higher magnifications. I was thinking of the Quark Chromosphere to use with my f/7 AT102ed.

I'm spoiled with the views of the double stacked LS50, so I was wondering how the contrast of the Quark would compare. If the Quark is more comparable to a single stacked LS50, then I'd like to avoid it.

#2 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Aurora

• Loc: Florida

Posted 16 December 2018 - 05:00 PM

Heya,

Depends on the Quark. If you want even more contrast, a longer focal-ratio would help there (F10+ would be gnarly high contrast perhaps, if the Quark is a good sample). Expect contrast higher than just the Lunt 50 in single stack mode, maybe similar a little less than a double stack. But, the difference in aperture will be significant. You will see details that you didn't see in that 50mm. I highly recommend you break out your binoviewers. A larger aperture, Quark and binoviewers are a totally different experience especially with a big prominence or an active region.

Very best,

Edited by MalVeauX, 16 December 2018 - 05:01 PM.

• MAURITS, RickV and PETER DREW like this

#3 petert913

petert913

Vanguard

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 18 December 2018 - 07:44 PM

I think the Quark requires an external power source.  Just mentioning if from the point of convenience.

#4 Cometeer

Cometeer

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: SF Bay Area, California or Illinois

Posted 19 December 2018 - 08:05 AM

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. 

Heya,

Depends on the Quark. If you want even more contrast, a longer focal-ratio would help there (F10+ would be gnarly high contrast perhaps, if the Quark is a good sample). Expect contrast higher than just the Lunt 50 in single stack mode, maybe similar a little less than a double stack. But, the difference in aperture will be significant. You will see details that you didn't see in that 50mm. I highly recommend you break out your binoviewers. A larger aperture, Quark and binoviewers are a totally different experience especially with a big prominence or an active region.

Very best,

That's pretty much what I've been thinking. What eyepiece would work best with the binoviewers? 32mm plossls?

My concern is that the Quark might deteriorate after a few years due to the mica heating element losing its thermal properties. Is that a valid concern?

I think the Quark requires an external power source.  Just mentioning if from the point of convenience.

I'm not concerned about the use of a power source. I have a Talentcell 6000mah battery pack I use to supply 12V to my mount. It also has a 5V usb that can supply 2A max - Quark only draws 1.5A. The advantage of the Talencell is that it doesn't have an auto shut off feature when it detects a low current draw, so the Quark does turn off. Would be very convenient to use a single power source for both my mount and the quark.  

Edited by Cometeer, 19 December 2018 - 09:56 AM.

#5 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Aurora

• Loc: Florida

Posted 19 December 2018 - 05:41 PM

Heya,

I can't answer for the Quark in terms of longevity. It has electronics, so there's always that issue. I don't think there's validated data out there that shows Quarks fail based on X, Y & Z. Just anecdotal stuff which is always the negative experiences, just like any product out there. It's an entry product and it's certainly not built for research abuse.

So what eyepieces you use depends on the effective focal length. The Quark and a 400mm scope will give you full disc FOV with 25mm eyepieces. But if you're using a really long scope and you're at something like, say, 5040mm effective focal length you will likely want longer eyepieces to keep it bright and to give you a relaxing exit pupil size and not too tight on the FOV so you can find features you want to see. I would plug in the numbers in a calculator and just look at the degree FOV to give you an idea.

Very best,

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics