•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

My first try in winter

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Szumi

Szumi

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: NLP, Michigan

Posted 16 December 2018 - 05:43 PM

I had two back to back clear nights in Northern Michigan.  I passed on the first night since I was going Christmas shopping with my sister in the morning and the next night looked to be better. 

I rigged up my mount and all the support items in the living room the evening before.  I image with a Canon 7DII and a camera lens.  I decided to use my EF 200 F2.8 instead of my EF 100-400 F4.5-5.6 II as I wanted to test out the new gear I purchased.

Since the last time in fall, I've added dew heaters for my camera lens and my guide scope and a Canon ac adapter for my camera.  Both were handy as my lens were frost free and my camera went 5 hours while I was figuring things out w/o a battery change.  The Lapdome kept my laptop warm. 

I got hung up for a long time trying to polar align.  I was sure I pointed the mount in the right place.  My view of the north star is limited by tall trees.  Usually Sharpcap gets me polar aligned easy peasy.  Eventually I figured out that my guide scope that is mounted crosswise on a Losmandy rail with my dslr had been knocked off perpendicular.  I probably killed 2 hours figuring that out.

Once I figured that out, I polar aligned quickly.  M81/82 were in view.  I should have changed to my 100-400 but at this point I wanted to capture something.  Hopefully I get another try while I'm on Christmas vacation.

Not a great image but it made my night as it was something I haven't imaged and I know I can improve on it. 

m81_200mm.jpg

Edited by Szumi, 16 December 2018 - 05:44 PM.

• Stelios, zjc26138, Starman27 and 10 others like this

#2 Astroman007

Astroman007

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northern Ontario, Canada

Posted 16 December 2018 - 06:44 PM

Very nice!

#3 ginjaninjaa

ginjaninjaa

Explorer 1

• Loc: Westminster, CO

Posted 17 December 2018 - 12:01 PM

Wow you got that with a 200mm? Get's me excited to try it out with my 400mm and I thought I would need much longer. Great image!

#4 Szumi

Szumi

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: NLP, Michigan

Posted 17 December 2018 - 05:46 PM

Wow you got that with a 200mm? Get's me excited to try it out with my 400mm and I thought I would need much longer. Great image!

Have you tried your Sigma at 600 for AP?  Just curious. 

#5 ginjaninjaa

ginjaninjaa

Explorer 1

• Loc: Westminster, CO

Posted 18 December 2018 - 12:51 PM

Have you tried your Sigma at 600 for AP?  Just curious. 

Not yet, I've been mainly using my AT65EDQ. Still learning how to get decent data messing around with my mount. The next thing I'll experiment with will be using the Sigma lens or my 5SE. 

#6 fishonkevin

fishonkevin

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Michigan

Posted 18 December 2018 - 02:33 PM

Nice one Szumi.  Is that the 200 L lens?  I have that one too.  Check my  Flickr acct. in my signature for some deep sky objects that frame up well with it.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics