•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron Nexstar Evo 8 Tripod

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Craig Smith

Craig Smith

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: Utah

Posted 16 December 2018 - 06:03 PM

This past summer I was looking at the Evo 8, but one of the complaints was that the tripod was a little weak.  I sent an email to Celestron suggesting they consider a better tripod, and also update their website specs; they were very incomplete.  Not sure if I had anything to do with it, but I see now that they list OTA, mount, and tripod weights individually, as well as mount capacity.  There are a few numbers that don't add up but overall I'm pretty impressed.  But one thing stood out -- instead of the previous 13 lb tripod, they now show a 22 lb tripod.  That's the same weight as the CPC tripod.  Can anyone confirm that they are shipping with the beefier tripod now?

FWIW I also suggested they offer an Edge version without the StarSense, but don't see that yet.  Maybe they don't want to steal too much business from Meade.

Edited by Craig Smith, 16 December 2018 - 06:06 PM.

#2 Migwan

Migwan

Viking 1

• Loc: Meeechigan

Posted 16 December 2018 - 06:46 PM

The Celestron site is not showing a heavy duty tripod in the EVO pics.   That weight seems a bit heavy for the tripod shown.  I am doubtful that they have changed the tripod.  jd

• jallbery likes this

#3 chuckscap

chuckscap

Apollo

• Loc: Colorado Springs, CO USA

Posted 16 December 2018 - 10:31 PM

My Evo 9.25 tripod weighs that much.  I wonder if they just quit offering the lighter one on the smaller scopes.

#4 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 17 December 2018 - 08:29 AM

Two different tripods have been part of the Evolution product line from the beginning. The 6 and 8" models have the lighter model, the C925 based Evo uses a minor variation of the heavier CPC tripod.

If you have a 6 or 8" Evo (or SE) and want to improve the stability adding weight to the spreader bar is the easiest change but if you want to go further then finding a heavier tripod from another Celestron Alt Az goto scope (NexStar GPS, Ultima, etc.) makes a nice upgrade. These tripods all use the same 3 bolt pattern to attach them to the base of the scope and the same size bolts (3/8" x 16) but you do have to watch the length of the threads especially with the SE scopes.

Edited by mclewis1, 17 December 2018 - 08:35 AM.

• Craig Smith and Noah4x4 like this

#5 jallbery

jallbery

Vanguard

• Loc: Southeast Michigan

Posted 17 December 2018 - 09:04 AM

.  That's the same weight as the CPC tripod.  

Except if you look at Celestron's Evo 9.25 page, they say that THAT tripod (which is the heavier CPC tripod) weighs 28 pounds.  But if you look at the CPC scopes, their tripods weigh 19 pounds.    

These weights make no sense at all-- there is no way that the Evo 6 is going to come with a heavier tripod than the CPC 1100.

It can't be the tripod+mount weight, because then the Evo 6/8 tripod would need to weigh in at only 6 pounds. So I can't make any sense of it.  Maybe someone left a C6 and a 23mm Luminos sitting on the scale the day they weighed the Evo tripods.

However these numbers got published, I would not put any faith in them, and I certainly would not assume that all Evos now the heavier tripod.

I, for one, am quite happy with the original Evo tripod with a C8 OTA.  I've never once felt the urge to get out my AVX instead...

Edited by jallbery, 17 December 2018 - 08:40 PM.

#6 AlienRatDog

AlienRatDog

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Ann Arbor

Posted 17 December 2018 - 04:49 PM

I second my experience with the tripod, it is not as stable as the CPC variant but good enough where I do not miss the CPC tripod, I valued the portability more (I carry mine out in one trip).

#7 mark379

mark379

Apollo

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 17 December 2018 - 04:54 PM

My evo 9.25 comes with the HD CPC tripod, but its less portable due to that. If you can find a CPC tripod, that will sure things up, or even an old ULTIMA tripod could do the trick.

This past summer I was looking at the Evo 8, but one of the complaints was that the tripod was a little weak.  I sent an email to Celestron suggesting they consider a better tripod, and also update their website specs; they were very incomplete.  Not sure if I had anything to do with it, but I see now that they list OTA, mount, and tripod weights individually, as well as mount capacity.  There are a few numbers that don't add up but overall I'm pretty impressed.  But one thing stood out -- instead of the previous 13 lb tripod, they now show a 22 lb tripod.  That's the same weight as the CPC tripod.  Can anyone confirm that they are shipping with the beefier tripod now?

FWIW I also suggested they offer an Edge version without the StarSense, but don't see that yet.  Maybe they don't want to steal too much business from Meade.

Attached Thumbnails

• c9.25evo.jpg

• Craig Smith likes this

#8 Craig Smith

Craig Smith

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 18 December 2018 - 12:52 AM

Not sure how I thought I saw the CPC tripod at 22 lbs but I do see that it's 19, which is the same as the Meade LX90/LX200.  I may email them for verification.  It seems like 19 would be a nice compromise between the 28 lbs of the Evo 9.25 and the 13 they had quoted before, although less portable for sure.  I don't know why they don't just use the CPC tripod for the 9.25, it's OTA/mount weight is 36 lbs, lighter than the CPC 800.

#9 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

Posted 18 December 2018 - 10:04 AM

AFAIK, there's been no change to the 8-inch tripod. The truth is, it's usable but hardly ideal. The larger tripod shipped with the 9.25 is usable on the 9.25, but, again, not ideal. The 9.25-inch tripod on the 8 is close to perfect--or as close to perfect you'll get with a single arm mount. 

Edited by rmollise, 18 December 2018 - 10:04 AM.

• mark379, WyattDavis and Waltski like this

#10 mark379

mark379

Apollo

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 18 December 2018 - 10:47 AM

Rod, I tend to agree for sure! My 9.25EVO is marginal, but when I put an 8" on it, its right at home, just a bit less portable than an SE with those HUGE CPC tripod legs!

So for portability, maybe put up with the EVO 8 legs, and just buy a CPC tripod when you want more stability. They are interchangeable!

BTW Rod, Ive got a question you may be able to help me with in my post here:

https://www.cloudyni...25-evo/?p=90164

AFAIK, there's been no change to the 8-inch tripod. The truth is, it's usable but hardly ideal. The larger tripod shipped with the 9.25 is usable on the 9.25, but, again, not ideal. The 9.25-inch tripod on the 8 is close to perfect--or as close to perfect you'll get with a single arm mount. 

Edited by mark379, 18 December 2018 - 10:47 AM.

#11 Jim4321

Jim4321

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Asheville

Posted 18 December 2018 - 12:30 PM

I made a few mods to my 9.25 Evo's tripod to make it better for transport, since I'm always doing 'mobile astronomy'.  I added a padded handle so I can carry it without grabbing one of the big cold tubes at the end of a chilly evening.  A also cut the lower threads off of the center shaft, since I remove the spreader tray to fold the legs fully together.  That lets me bungee it down on the rear couch in my little 19' RV. 

I've also got the 6-8 Evo tripod, and yes, it is significantly lighter.  Also bad for stability, it has to be extended slightly to put the EP at the same height; I use the 9.25 without any leg extension except for what's needed for initial leveling.

If I have to set up at a distance from my parking spot, I take the lighter tripod and either my C6 or C8, since I dislike lugging the heavier tripod and OTA.

Jim H. 

• Craig Smith, mark379 and Sky Surfer like this

#12 Peter B

Peter B

Viking 1

• Loc: Parker, Colorado

Posted 18 December 2018 - 01:29 PM

I started out with the Evo 8 with the lighter tripod and then I bought the heavier duty CPC tripod because I wanted to be able to put my C9.25 on my Evo mount also. The C9.25 and Evo combo on the CPC tripod was still a little dicey; it took awhile for the vibrations to settle down after focusing. Part of that could be the dovetail mounting for the C9.25. I am kind of disappointed in the CPC tripod because the last time I used it, it got really cold and when I went to spread out the legs in the morning so it would warm up two of the three clamps that hold the lower spreader/struts broke. They probably got torqued when the legs didn't pull out simultaneously, but really PLASTIC? Grrrrrr!

#13 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Vanguard

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 19 December 2018 - 04:01 PM

Two different tripods have been part of the Evolution product line from the beginning. The 6 and 8" models have the lighter model, the C925 based Evo uses a minor variation of the heavier CPC tripod.

If you have a 6 or 8" Evo (or SE) and want to improve the stability adding weight to the spreader bar is the easiest change but if you want to go further then finding a heavier tripod from another Celestron Alt Az goto scope (NexStar GPS, Ultima, etc.) makes a nice upgrade. These tripods all use the same 3 bolt pattern to attach them to the base of the scope and the same size bolts (3/8" x 16) but you do have to watch the length of the threads especially with the SE scopes.

I use my 8" Evolution for EAA. That requires a lot of peripheral devices (camera; battery; motor focusser; mini-computer etc.). Using my simple DIY device you can kill three objectives with one stone;

1.   Create a simple device for affixing such peripherals to the tripod. 

2.   Such peripherals/devices slide on/off the central tripod bar in less than a minute (easy for transport).

3.   Device directly adds weight to the spreader to enhance ANY Tripod's stability in a constructive manner. I hence agree with Mark that "weights" are helpful, but this route is perhaps more innovative than using a mere lump of metal. My device/peripherals combined total add around 3lb, but it would be easy to make this heavier if desired.

See...

https://www.cloudyni...ices/?p=8993092

Edited by Noah4x4, 19 December 2018 - 04:07 PM.

• Craig Smith likes this

#14 Craig Smith

Craig Smith

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 21 December 2018 - 10:51 AM

I heard back from Celestron and sure enough, it is a mistake and they are still shipping with the 13 lb tripod.  Bummer.

#15 K4PDM

K4PDM

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: East Kentucky USA

Posted 24 December 2018 - 07:37 AM

Let me make sure I understand this thread, please.

I have an 8SE and was thinking of upgrading to the Evo 8 or 9.25, due mainly to the shakiness of the mount with heavy eyepieces.

I see that the 9.25 definitely would have the same issue, but are you guys saying that the problem also exists with the standard Evo 8?

#16 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 24 December 2018 - 09:04 AM

The Evo 8 is more stable and less vibration prone than the 8SE. The tripod is better (heavier) and the mount is smoother.

The Evo 925 is a whole different animal. Yes it's at the top of the weight capability of the Evo mount (like the 8SE is at the max capability of the SE mount) but with that substantially bigger and heavier tripod under it the C925 Evo is not as vibration prone as the 8SE is.

Edited by mclewis1, 24 December 2018 - 09:05 AM.

• Jim4321 likes this

#17 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

Posted 24 December 2018 - 04:17 PM

Let me make sure I understand this thread, please.

I have an 8SE and was thinking of upgrading to the Evo 8 or 9.25, due mainly to the shakiness of the mount with heavy eyepieces.

I see that the 9.25 definitely would have the same issue, but are you guys saying that the problem also exists with the standard Evo 8?

Yes. The 8's tripod is undersized for it. And the 9.25's is undersized for it. The perfect combo--well, as perfect stability-wise as a light one arm bandit fork gets--is the 8 on the 9.25 tripod.

Now, "undersized" does not mean "unusable." The Evolution is mainly intended as a visual instrument, and does very well indeed in that role. A set of vibration suppression pads (from Celestron) can help the situation, as can a motofocus. While heavier tripods would be nice, they'd reduce the portability of an uber-portable system. During the time I tested the 9.25, I was amazed at how willing I was to set it up, even on marginal nights. No big battery to lug around, no hand control to hunt up, no giant tripod to drag into the yard. 

If I were in the market for a visual SCT, I would very seriously consider either. smile.gif

Edited by rmollise, 24 December 2018 - 04:18 PM.

• mark379 and Jim4321 like this

#18 WyattDavis

WyattDavis

Viking 1

• Loc: Rye, NH

Posted 24 December 2018 - 04:21 PM

I moved on from the Evo and kept the Edge HD 8 OTA and now have it on a CGEM tripod + SV M2 mount - big improvement in stability. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics