•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Which camera for my gear

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 xumaxer

xumaxer

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: 39º 45' N, 8º 48' W

Posted 16 December 2018 - 06:06 PM

Hi

getting back to planetary imaging after a few years out ...
Still have my C11, barlows (1.5x, 2x, 3x), LRGB filters & FW) and a DMK21 (icx618) but would lixe to get a new camera that suits best my gear.
any help will be much appreciated

#2 james7ca

james7ca

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 16 December 2018 - 06:40 PM

If you'd be happy to be imaging at near to your critical sampling on most occasions and if you also want to photograph the moon then Sony's IMX178 would be a reasonable choice (either the ZWO ASI178 or the QHY5III-178). It's available in both mono and color, but with small 2.4um pixels it reaches critical sampling at about f/12 (maybe a little higher with one-shot-color). Of course, you could always resample the pixels down if you wanted a little less scale.

Other than that, the IMX290 with 2.9 micron pixels is a good planetary camera but with many fewer pixels than the IMX178 (critical sampling with the IMX290 is about f/15, maybe a better choice for your C11).

That said, if you are interested in the moon then the larger IMX178 might be a better choice (it would give you a wider field on the moon). I've used my IMX178 cameras for planetary work with my 9.25" EdgeHD and they both work well on that scope. In fact, you can even do DSO work with the IMX178 (as well as with the IMX290).

Now, if you want to spend a little more money and you are really interested in lunar imaging then you could go for the Sony IMX183, about twice the size of the IMX178 but with the same pixel size. Tom Glenn here on CN has done a lot of nice lunar work with his ASI183MM and a 9.25" EdgeHD. You might, however, need to check and see if your C11 could cover a sensor as large as the IMX183.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics