•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

So are we down to "one-machine only" License In PixInsight?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 RandallK

RandallK

Gemini

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Nanaimo, B. C. Canada

Posted 16 December 2018 - 11:51 PM

Today with great difficulty I downloaded the new version of Pix Insight V 1.08.06. Server was very busy. I finally "got in" to download, but as I was trying to install it on my laptop as well,

I saw this mentioned in the message with the download..." Please note that these activation codes can only be used once. After activating your license, you can make a backup copy of your license file to avoid having to repeat this procedure again. See FAQ 2.7 on our website:"

I tried to install it on my laptop but I keep getting an error when attempting activation. Does this mean now that PI is only good for 1 install?

Help please!

Randall

#2 michael_m

michael_m

Ranger 4

• Loc: Mount Vernon, Wa

Posted 17 December 2018 - 12:19 AM

I would email them, or search through the license, and try to determine if there is a provision to "deactivate" after the initial activation, and then activate once again on a new computer. At least that way you can upgrade your computer and still keep your licensed copy.

Otherwise you are locked into a single activation on a single computer...forever. I know their thinking (developer) is one machine at a time. But it would be unfair to not include the ability to deactivate, obtain a newer computer, and then reinstall + reactivate your copy...still keeping with the one machine at a time license. Good luck. 

Edited by michael_m, 17 December 2018 - 12:20 AM.

#3 james7ca

james7ca

Cosmos

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 17 December 2018 - 12:21 AM

Technically, I think you can only use one copy at a time, but in the past I've installed and used it on two different PCs and my Mac (although not at the same time). Don't they just require that you make a copy of the license file and then move that to where it is needed?

[UPDATE]

Okay, they've changed their license file format and the activation procedure (someone apparently hacked their previous licensing protection). Also, the PixInsight website seems to be running very slowly so maybe they are being "hammered" by all of the downloads and request for activation.

[/UPDATE]

Edited by james7ca, 17 December 2018 - 12:42 AM.

#4 RandallK

RandallK

Gemini

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 December 2018 - 12:41 AM

Just finished doing that.....copying the licence over on the other machine into Users/Name/, but PI never caught it. I have just requested another activation code to see if it will work. Hope it doesn't void the other one I just completed on my desktop machine!  Will keep you posted.

Why on earth does this have to be so **** difficult for an install. It almost has put me off the product.

#5 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 17 December 2018 - 12:46 AM

I don't recall the exact method but I have it installed on 4 computers without problems. The activation code is not the license in the sense that you are trying to use it. Read the PI website documentation as I had to and you'll soon figure out that it's one USER not one COMPUTER.

Rgrds-Ross

#6 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 17 December 2018 - 01:08 AM

I clicked on the "Request Activation Code" and have not received an e-mail.  That was 3 hours ago.  I sent them an e-mail requesting help.  

It took forever to connect to the server to download the new release..............

Edited by Jim Waters, 17 December 2018 - 01:09 AM.

#7 RandallK

RandallK

Gemini

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 December 2018 - 01:17 AM

Wouldn't it be nice if all this was tested out at "their" end before releasing to the public? I am lucky at least to have my main desktop machine working with the new version but I'm pulling my hair out trying to get the 2nd copy onto my laptop. Good luck Jim and all of you!

PS: Many are going to say there's a "pile-up" for updates on the server, but that should have been taken care of before the release today.

• Jim Waters likes this

#8 Ian Robinson

Ian Robinson

Voyager 1

• Loc: 33S , 151E

Posted 17 December 2018 - 01:21 AM

Maybe I might NOT get this one afterall, as I definitely want to be able run it on my Alienware laptop and on a desktop . 

#9 scadvice

scadvice

Vanguard

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lodi, California

Posted 17 December 2018 - 01:38 AM

I hope they fix it all soon as I'm in the 45 day trial (learning phase) and I really like what I see.

But without the twelve you tube video's by Astro Dude I would still be scratching my head on how to use it.

#10 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Cosmos

• Moderators

Posted 17 December 2018 - 01:40 AM

Guys, I think that you are approaching this in the wrong way. Please read ---

2.5 Must I buy several licenses to use PixInsight on Windows, OS X, Linux and FreeBSD?
Absolutely not. The commercial license gives you the right to use PixInsight on all supported platforms and operating systems. This currently includes FreeBSD, Linux, OS X, and Windows.

2.6 Do you impose restrictions on the number of installations per license?
Absolutely not. Our commercial users have the right to install and use PixInsight on any computer they own. The only limit is that only the licensed users have the right to use their copies of PixInsight. Other than the fact that a commercial licensee cannot share his/her copy of our software, we impose no restrictions.

AND 

"The first time you install and activate your copy of PixInsight, it will create a special license file on your hard disk. The license file has the following name:

FreeBSD and Linux:
    .pixinsight-license

Mac OS X and Windows:
    pixinsight-license

and is located on your personal folder. Normally, your personal folder is at the following locations:

FreeBSD and Linux:
    /home/<your_user_name>  or: /usr/home/<your_user_name>

Mac OS X:
    /Users/<your_user_name>

Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1 and Windows 10:
    C:\Users\<your_user_name>

where <your_user_name> is your actual user name on your operating system."

Just find the file and copy it into the second computer after running the software installation. I can't see anything to tell me that this has suddenly changed.

Rgrds-Ross

#11 RandallK

RandallK

Gemini

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 December 2018 - 01:53 AM

….and that's where I placed the licence file "pixinsight-license".  NADA!

Please believe me Ross!

I also meant to say that I did in fact read the FAQ's about licensing in PI. I have installed this product numerous times before on 2 machines with no issues. This is the first time this has happened. It shouldn't be this difficult. I have e-mailed PI support and hope to get an answer back soon.

Edited by RandallK, 17 December 2018 - 02:01 AM.

#12 ZL4PLM

ZL4PLM

Vendor Affiliate - ZWO Product Dev Team Member

• Vendor Affiliate
  • Loc: Darfield, New Zealand

Posted 17 December 2018 - 02:09 AM

I think they have changed the location of the file too as there was comment it was too easy to find

they have changed the licencing approach and I am still trying to get a download going so their server must be getting hammered!

#13 Bob Cook

Bob Cook

Lift Off

• Loc: Ohio

Posted 17 December 2018 - 02:13 AM

Hello All

I just installed Pixinsight 1.8.6 and encountered similar problems with the license file.  It appears to have been moved to C:\Users\YOURUSERID\AppData\Roaming\Pleiades.

The license file name has been changed to PixInsightLicense.

I installed Pixinsight 1.8.6 on my laptop and copied the license file to that folder and it all works as before.  I haven't figured out a way to change the folder for the license file (if there is a way)?

Bob

Edited by Bob Cook, 17 December 2018 - 02:13 AM.

• psandelle and ChristopherBeere like this

#14 james7ca

james7ca

Cosmos

Posted 17 December 2018 - 03:59 AM

Just finished doing that.....copying the licence over on the other machine into Users/Name/, but PI never caught it. I have just requested another activation code to see if it will work. Hope it doesn't void the other one I just completed on my desktop machine!  Will keep you posted.

Why on earth does this have to be so **** difficult for an install. It almost has put me off the product.

I've been using PixInsight for probably at least six years and in my opinion they have one of the best update mechanism of any software package that I've ever used (it has never failed, not even once). I also have never had any problems doing upgrades or moving licenses and they've never charged me even one extra penny for any of the many improvements and new features that they've added over these many years.

That said, in this most recent release they have been forced to changed their licensing process and activation, but when I went to their website today it only took me a minute or two to find the instructions on how to activate their new software.

IMO, the blame here goes to the low-life criminal who hacked the PixInsight licensing mechanism and thus set in motion all of these new issues for each one of us who actually payed for the product.

PixInsight has never been perfect (it's had bugs and most likely will continue to have them), but it's actually a very robust and well supported piece of software and I'm sure that any problems that may exist with the current activation process will be fixed very quickly.

At worse, for those who haven't yet tried to upgrade, wait a few days or another week since the new features look interesting and potentially useful but not absolutely necessary.

Edited by james7ca, 17 December 2018 - 04:00 AM.

• psandelle likes this

#15 ZL4PLM

ZL4PLM

Vendor Affiliate - ZWO Product Dev Team Member

• Vendor Affiliate
  • Loc: Darfield, New Zealand

Posted 17 December 2018 - 05:28 AM

I finally grabbed a copy 

so you have to uninstall the old one?

what about all my projects and icons etc - will it save that or delete that too?

Cheers

Simon

#16 james7ca

james7ca

Cosmos

Posted 17 December 2018 - 08:05 AM

I finally grabbed a copy 

so you have to uninstall the old one?

what about all my projects and icons etc - will it save that or delete that too?

Cheers

Simon

On a Mac you don't need to uninstall anything, I usually just move my existing PI directory (or rename it) and then install the new version. I would think that your old projects can remain where they are (or move them to a new directory hierarchy to match what you previously had).

Worse case, just search on the PI support forums to see if anyone has asked this question before.

#17 RandallK

RandallK

Gemini

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 December 2018 - 10:29 AM

OK...Finally got it right. PI's responses/e-mails were terribly slow. It appears that I have to request a separate activation code on each machine and that the licence file entered under the C:\Users\User Name doesn't nail it. I got my 2nd activation codes at 2 am and just opened them up and put them into the installer module and then Pix Insight came up right away. Hope this helps anyone else in trouble.

#18 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Loc: Athens, Georgia, USA

Posted 17 December 2018 - 10:42 AM

I have not done the upgrade yet, but...

According to the documentation, the license is per-user, not per-computer, same as always.  PixInsight is licensed to one person, who can install and use it on any number of computers.

The license file is stored in a different place than before.  Under Windows, it is stored under %appdata%.  I would think that you can copy it from machine to machine, same as before, except that the place to put it is different.  This is in the announcement for 1.8.6.

If any of this doesn't actually work as I'm anticipating, I'll be back with a report.

#19 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

Posted 17 December 2018 - 11:08 AM

Trial licenses are one-machine-only.

#20 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Cosmos

• Moderators

Posted 18 December 2018 - 12:09 AM

Well, then I guess I'm never going to do the upgrade. I just wish that they would update the documentation before doing something like that.

Rgrds-Ross

#21 jdupton

jdupton

Gemini

• Loc: Central Texas, USA

Posted 18 December 2018 - 01:00 AM

Ross and others,

I just updated my desktop system. Everything went without a hitch. The servers are back to running at normal speed. The installation was uneventful. The activation was very quick and successful.

The need for a new activation is documented on the announcement thread on the PixInsight Forum. When you request the activation email, you get activation codes for all OS'es PI supports in one email. Once activated on any machine (using any OS), you can simply copy the license file from one computer to another with the same OS. To activate on another OS, you use the appropriate code that was sent in the one activation code email. 

There are no changes to the licensing terms and activation works like it always has. You only need to request an activation once for this upgrade. The activation email covers any other system or OS you have. Simply follow the prompts when the activation request dialog pops up following installation and everything just works.

John

Edited by jdupton, 18 December 2018 - 01:04 AM.

• R Botero and Michael Covington like this

#22 Patrick Chevalley

Patrick Chevalley

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 18 December 2018 - 08:47 AM

I have to agree with John, I run the update on my Ubuntu desktop and everything work without problem.

You have all the necessary information about the registration if you follow the link "official announcement on PixInsight Forum" in the email you receive announcing the new version.

Patrick

• Michael Covington likes this

#23 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

Posted 18 December 2018 - 11:11 AM

Yes.  I've put it on 2 Windows and 1 Linux system without difficulties.  Notes here:

https://www.cloudyni...ht-186-upgrade/

#24 RandallK

RandallK

Gemini

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 December 2018 - 12:50 PM

It had all to do with the heavy demand on the server. My apologies for the alarm I triggered. Everything is OK now.

Edited by RandallK, 18 December 2018 - 07:20 PM.

• Michael Covington likes this

#25 ChristopherBeere

ChristopherBeere

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: London UK

Posted 30 July 2019 - 04:48 PM

Hello All

I just installed Pixinsight 1.8.6 and encountered similar problems with the license file.  It appears to have been moved to C:\Users\YOURUSERID\AppData\Roaming\Pleiades.

The license file name has been changed to PixInsightLicense.

I installed Pixinsight 1.8.6 on my laptop and copied the license file to that folder and it all works as before.  I haven't figured out a way to change the folder for the license file (if there is a way)?

Bob

cheers mate, this works.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics