•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Notes about the PixInsight 1.8.6 upgrade

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• topic starter
  • Loc: Athens, Georgia, USA

Posted 17 December 2018 - 10:49 AM

(1) PixInsight's servers are heavily loaded, and the first time I downloaded it, I got a seemingly normal .exe file that was actually incomplete.  The symptom was that, when launched, it ran for a few seconds with nothing on the screen and then stopped.

Check the published checksums.  Or check the exact length, 292,345,896 bytes for the Windows 64-bit version.

(1.5) You have to uninstall the previous PixInsight in order to install the new one.  However, the previous one can still be downloaded.

(2) Per the release notes, the license file has to be regenerated and is stored in a different place (in Windows, it's somewhere under %appdata%).  As I understand it, the regeneration can only be done once, but the license file can be copied to multiple computers as long as you put it in the right place (which is not the same as for earlier versions).

https://pixinsight.c...p?topic=12986.0

(3) The PixInsight FAQ assures us the license terms are the same as they have been -- per-user, not per-computer.  One individual can install and run PixInsight on any number of computers.  (I didn't see anything about not running it on more than one computer at the same time, provided one person is doing it!  And that might actually be practical when doing a big processing run.)

http://pixinsight.com/faq/

I am just doing the upgrade now.  If it doesn't go as expected, I'll be back with notes.

Edited by Michael Covington, 17 December 2018 - 10:56 AM.

• psandelle, OleCuss and bobzeq25 like this

#2 Cfreerksen

Cfreerksen

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Tooele, Ut

Posted 17 December 2018 - 10:56 AM

I will be looking forward to your update if any.

Chris

• Michael Covington likes this

#3 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• topic starter

Posted 17 December 2018 - 11:07 AM

So far, it's working entirely as advertised.

The license reactivation is something done on PixInsight's servers and the code can only be used once.  To install on multiple machines, you copy the license file (which is in a different place than previously).  It works cross-platform (Windows and Linux).

• bobzeq25 likes this

#4 Montanaman

Montanaman

Mariner 2

• Loc: Montana

Posted 17 December 2018 - 12:13 PM

Greetings:

Got the Email announcing the new release yesterday (Sunday).  Clicked on the link in the Email and nothing happened.  Tried several times to no avail.

Opened Pixinsight current version 1.8.5 and clicked on "check for updates" under RESOURCES.  Program states that no new updates are available.

So far unable to find, download and install the new version.

Any ideas?

Bill in Montana

#5 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• topic starter

Posted 17 December 2018 - 12:33 PM

Greetings:

Got the Email announcing the new release yesterday (Sunday).  Clicked on the link in the Email and nothing happened.  Tried several times to no avail.

Opened Pixinsight current version 1.8.5 and clicked on "check for updates" under RESOURCES.  Program states that no new updates are available.

So far unable to find, download and install the new version.

Any ideas?

Bill in Montana

What you are experiencing is that PixInsight's servers are overloaded.   Try www.pixinsight.com/dist

#6 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• topic starter

Posted 17 December 2018 - 12:34 PM

OK, I got it installed and up and running on 2 Windows machines without problems.

For the second one, I copied the PixInsight license file from %appdata%\Pleiades on one machine to the same on the other.

On both, it immediately downloaded and installed a big update to the documentation.

I will probably attempt a Linux install later.  I do my actual image capturing under Linux, and it would be handy to have PixInsight there.

Edited by Michael Covington, 17 December 2018 - 12:35 PM.

• Joe F Gafford likes this

#7 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• topic starter

Posted 17 December 2018 - 07:36 PM

Successfully installed under Linux Mint by following the instructions:

download into a folder

cd to that folder

tar -xzf pi-..........-.tar.gz    (use the actual long name of the file)

sudo ./installer

I got the PixInsightLicense and PixInsight.ini files from %appdata%\Pleiades on my Windows machine and copied them thus:

mkdir $HOME/.PixInsight

cp PixInsightLicense $HOME/.PixInsight

cp PixInsight.ini $HOME/.PixInsight

It works, and it's a lot faster starting up under Linux.  I had never run it under Linux before.  I wonder if it is faster at everything...?

Edited by Michael Covington, 18 December 2018 - 11:12 AM.

• bsavoie likes this

#8 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• topic starter

Posted 19 December 2018 - 07:29 PM

And yesterday's update was replaced with a new one, 1448, with bug fixes.  It has to be downloaded (it does not install as an update to 1447, which you installed yesterday).  More here:

https://pixinsight.c...p?topic=13007.0

#9 psandelle

psandelle

Soyuz

• Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 21 December 2018 - 11:44 AM

Man, this is getting so unwieldy. I hope we get back to automatic (when clicked) upgrades. This uninstall/reinstall stuff is taking more time. But, I guess it is what it is.

Paul

#10 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• topic starter

Posted 21 December 2018 - 12:39 PM

I am not sure why 1448 requires a reinstall over 1447 instead of an update.  I wonder if they'll tell us.

#11 Charlie B

Charlie B

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sterling, Virginia

Posted 21 December 2018 - 02:49 PM

I am not sure why 1448 requires a reinstall over 1447 instead of an update.  I wonder if they'll tell us.

I'm sure they will if you ask on the forum.  1447 and 1448 are build numbers, which indicates that they had a problem with the build.  Unlike bug fixes, new builds may incorporate new dependencies, which is likely why it had to be installed from scratch.

Regards,

Charlie B

• jdupton and Michael Covington like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics