•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Difference Zeiss 15x60 GAT and 15x60 B/GAT models?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 paulsky

paulsky

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 December 2018 - 12:17 PM

Hello,

I like know if there is some differences between these two models..

Thank you in advance

Regards,

Paul

#2 Rich V.

Rich V.

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 17 December 2018 - 01:37 PM

The newer B/GAT version had a newer, longer eye relief eyepiece design and a slightly smaller FOV than the GAT according to this 2011 CN thread: 

https://www.cloudyni...vs-nikon-18x70/

Rich

#3 paulsky

paulsky

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 December 2018 - 12:07 PM

Thank you Rich !

Regards,

Paul

#4 Pinewood

Pinewood

Apollo

• Loc: 40.77638º N 73.982652 W

Posted 19 December 2018 - 07:47 PM

Hello Paul,

As the BGAT model was later, there is a good chance that the coatings were improved.  As far  as I know, neither is in production.

Clear skies,

Arthur Pinewood

• Erik Bakker likes this

#5 Neil Sanford

Neil Sanford

Mariner 2

Posted 22 December 2018 - 03:35 AM

Below are 2 posts that I pasted from Astromart.  I recall that the original Markus Ludes writing referred to about the Zeiss 15x60 models was brief but highly informative.  After much searching, I was unable to locate it.  Probably someone here can.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted 03/12/2003 08:26PM #1
Kevin Barker
Forum Member

Good question John
Markus Ludes reviewed and compared several Zeiss 15 X 60 binoculars and some Tak?? binoculars on cloudynights.com. I recall the older 15 x 60's in the review had better colour correcction but less eye relief than the newer version.

Best wishes

Kevin Barker

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 23, 2007 02:50 AM Forum: Zeiss
Comparison between Zeiss 15x60 Binoculars

Posted By Kevin Barker
Simon
I have seen a pair of the latest version. I have not looked through them though.

I think the T* coatings are very good in fact they are a big breakthrough over earlier Zeiss coatings.

I have also read on a cloudy nights review by Markus Ludes a few years ago that the older versions has semi apochromatic air spaced objectives. The newer version also have air spaced objecttives and have eyepieces with longer eye relief and slightly inferior colour correction.

So my guess is the latest will be significantly brighter have a nicer eye relief and they will suffer from slightly more chromatic aberration when compered to earlier versions.

having said that I bet the views are superb and how could a 15 X pair have an issue with colour correction??

Just a thought!!

I bet they are lovely, I wish I had insisted on a look through them. I trialed the 7X50 T* a few years back and they were wonderful especially when using them in daylight. The T* is a much better coating than the coating in my 1970's 7X50B.

Kevin Barker

Edited by Neil Sanford, 22 December 2018 - 03:36 AM.

#6 Neil Sanford

Neil Sanford

Mariner 2

Posted 25 December 2018 - 12:30 AM

https://www.cloudyni...15x60-bgat-r232

"Here are the differences between the new and the old Version:

The new version has better coatings, therefore more color-contrast for daytime observing and a blacker sky in night. The older version used semi-apochromatic lenses in front, which has the advantage of superior color correction The old versionswas a little sharper due the better semi-apo lenses. I tried both side by side and kept the new version, due its better eyerelief."

• paulsky likes this

#7 paulsky

paulsky

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 December 2018 - 12:28 PM

Thanks for your kind response.

Best,

Paul

#8 Pinewood

Pinewood

Apollo

• Loc: 40.77638º N 73.982652 W

Posted 26 December 2018 - 08:41 PM

Hello Neil,

Are "colour correction," and correcting for "chromatic aberration related"?

Clear skies,

Arthur PInewood

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics