•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

"Short Driver Name - Please Customize"

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 PatrickVt

PatrickVt

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Vermont, US

Posted 17 December 2018 - 12:48 PM

I'm new to ASCOM but have learned quite a bit in the past week.  Finding info online about this seems to be impossible or I am searching the wrong text strings or searching in the wrong places.  I figured I should ask here.

When I connect to my driver in Starry Nights 7, the display reticle showing where my telescope is located in the sky is labeled "Short driver name - please customize".  The same happens if I connect through POTH Hub first.  Control of the telescope works just fine but seeing that message rather than "Telescope" or some other custom name is a bit annoying. 

I spent days trying to figure out where to customize this name label within Starry Night but then, because I see no options within Starry Night for customizing this, I came to the conclusion that this must be an ASCOM thing so I started searching for ASCOM options.  I'm lost and can't figure out how to do this.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?  

Patrick

#2 PatrickVt

PatrickVt

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 December 2018 - 09:05 PM

I think I may have figured this out on my own.  I'll try my idea tomorrow after I get some sleep.

I'm thinking I need to open ASCOM's "Profile Explorer" utility...  change the value in the driver that says "short driver name - please customize" to my preferred choice...  ie, telescope or scope or EXOS-2GT (which is the mount name)...  and then reinstall the driver.  And, I would need to do this on each computer I use.  

I suspect that most drivers for other mounts leave this value blank or use "Scope".

I'll give it a shot tomorrow and see what comes of it.

Patrick

#3 PatrickVt

PatrickVt

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 December 2018 - 10:44 AM

That didn't do it or I did it wrong.  I think the firmware itself might have this name (lack of name) embedded.  

Patrick

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics