•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Which cable to connect EQ 6 R Pro to laptop?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 devildog5150

devildog5150

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 December 2018 - 02:16 PM

Hi I just purchased an EQ 6 R Pro. I plan on using Astrophotography Tool with it. Which cable(what type) do I need to connect to the USB port in my laptop? And does it plug into the controller port? Thanks in advance.

#2 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors

Posted 17 December 2018 - 02:20 PM

USB runs from the controller's USB to the laptop. The cable is a standard USB-B cable, same as a printer USB cable. 

Edited by skyward_eyes, 17 December 2018 - 02:23 PM.

#3 devildog5150

devildog5150

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 December 2018 - 02:32 PM

USB runs from the controller's USB to the laptop. The cable is a standard USB-B cable, same as a printer USB cable. 

Ah I see. I was trying to connect directly from my mount to the computer. So I need to leave the hand control connected then? What about using EQMOD, is that the same? Thanks for the fast response!

#4 jdupton

jdupton

Apollo

• Loc: Central Texas, USA

Posted 17 December 2018 - 02:41 PM

devildog5150,

Your mount should have come with the cable you need to make a basic connection. You will be using the regular SynScan Firmware Update cable that came with the mount. It plugs into the bottom of the hand control in the RJ12 (6-position phone style) jack. (I think there is only one version of the SynScan hand control available. It does not have a USB connection in the hand control to the best of my knowledge.) The other end of that Firmware Update cable has a DB9 connector on it. What you need to use is a standard USB-to-RS232 adapter cable for you laptop. I prefer a cable using the FTDI chip set. Other chip sets will work but the FTDI drivers allow you to move the connection to any USB port without having to reinstall drivers or reconfigure your system. Some other drivers will change the COM Port number when you plug into a different port. That can cause you to reconfigure the program you are connecting to.

Here is a link to one such adapter cable.

https://www.amazon.c...ords=B01DYNNUS8

There are other ways to connect and I'm sure someone will tell you you must use EQMOD. I can highly recommend EQMOD but you will need yet a different cable to connect. You may want to review a tutorial I wrote last Spring that describes many of the ways to control your mount from a computer. Each method involves different configuration steps and you may want to choose which method works best for you.

https://atm-workshop...pc-connect.html

John

Edited by jdupton, 17 December 2018 - 02:43 PM.

• rgsalinger, cosmo59 and devildog5150 like this

#5 devildog5150

devildog5150

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 December 2018 - 03:02 PM

devildog5150,

Your mount should have come with the cable you need to make a basic connection. You will be using the regular SynScan Firmware Update cable that came with the mount. It plugs into the bottom of the hand control in the RJ12 (6-position phone style) jack. (I think there is only one version of the SynScan hand control available. It does not have a USB connection in the hand control to the best of my knowledge.) The other end of that Firmware Update cable has a DB9 connector on it. What you need to use is a standard USB-to-RS232 adapter cable for you laptop. I prefer a cable using the FTDI chip set. Other chip sets will work but the FTDI drivers allow you to move the connection to any USB port without having to reinstall drivers or reconfigure your system. Some other drivers will change the COM Port number when you plug into a different port. That can cause you to reconfigure the program you are connecting to.

Here is a link to one such adapter cable.

https://www.amazon.c...ords=B01DYNNUS8

There are other ways to connect and I'm sure someone will tell you you must use EQMOD. I can highly recommend EQMOD but you will need yet a different cable to connect. You may want to review a tutorial I wrote last Spring that describes many of the ways to control your mount from a computer. Each method involves different configuration steps and you may want to choose which method works best for you.

https://atm-workshop...pc-connect.html

John

Thanks for the info. I am just trying to learn AP. None of this is simple LOL. I will read your tutorial.

#6 Bean614

Bean614

Viking 1

• Loc: Mass.

Posted 17 December 2018 - 04:27 PM

Have you read the Owner's Manual?  Did you purchase this new?

#7 blazin

blazin

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Northern NJ

Posted 17 December 2018 - 07:46 PM

To connect direct from your laptop to the mount directly you can use the USB2EQ5 from shoestring astronomy:  

http://www.store.sho...products_eq.htm

Here's a good tutorial for getting set up:

http://eq-mod.source...t/tutindex.html

click the quick start guide link

I just got this mount myself and got everything up and running with this cable and quick start guide. 

Edited by blazin, 17 December 2018 - 07:47 PM.

• Mark326 and devildog5150 like this

#8 devildog5150

devildog5150

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 December 2018 - 08:41 PM

Have you read the Owner's Manual?  Did you purchase this new?

Yes I purchased new and yes I read the owners manual. If you can point out where it shows how to connect to APT via ASCOM in the manual I would greatly appreciate it. It will not connect using the USB b from hand control  to USB connection on laptop. My drivers are installed but APT just keeps saying scope disconnected. 

#9 devildog5150

devildog5150

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 December 2018 - 08:42 PM

To connect direct from your laptop to the mount directly you can use the USB2EQ5 from shoestring astronomy:  

Here's a good tutorial for getting set up:

http://eq-mod.source...t/tutindex.html

click the quick start guide link

I just got this mount myself and got everything up and running with this cable and quick start guide. 

Thank you very much.

#10 troske

troske

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Albany, NY

Posted 18 December 2018 - 12:36 AM

I don't think the manual mentions it, but you need to put the Synscan hand controller into PC Direct mode.

Also, I haven't tried it, but Skywatcher has an alternative firmware for the handset that puts it into some kind of relay mode, which they say is better than PC Direct. 

Right now my cables are mount to handset, handset to DB9 cable that came with the mount, then serial to USB adapter from Keyspan. I just ordered an EQDIR cable from Shoestring Astronomy in hopes of making it play better with EQMOD.

#11 jdupton

jdupton

Apollo

• Loc: Central Texas, USA

Posted 18 December 2018 - 12:49 AM

troske,

Welcome to Cloudy Nights. I see this is your first post here.

The manual does not mention it because it may not be required. This is often offered advice but does not apply in all cases. If you use the SkyWatcher ASCOM Driver, the hand control must remain in normal operating mode or you will never make a working connection. 

The hand control is only required to be put into PC Direct mode when using the EQMOD ASCOM driver through the hand control. The manual does not assume EQMOD is being used - hence the lack of mention. This distinction is covered in detail in my tutorial that I linked in Post #4 above.

John

Edited by jdupton, 18 December 2018 - 12:50 AM.

#12 troske

troske

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 18 December 2018 - 11:29 AM

Excellent. I will watch your tutorial.

Thanks.

Tim

#13 troske

troske

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 18 December 2018 - 12:02 PM

Thanks again, John. I wish I had your tutorial when I was learning how to set up my EQ6-R Pro. 

• jdupton likes this

#14 TxGeek

TxGeek

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 18 December 2018 - 03:46 PM

I use the ShoeString Astronomy USBTOEQ5 cable to connect to my PC and bypass the hand controller as there is no need for it.. It works amazingly well and never had issues with my EQ6-R Pro after.

• Jeff Struve and blazin like this

#15 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: Iowa, USA

Posted 09 January 2019 - 02:07 PM

Yep... I bypass the HC's for my 2 Atlas mounts and HDX mount

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics