•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

stacking software

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 carlm01

carlm01

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 December 2018 - 05:00 AM

Hello to all, basic question which is the easiest to operate and learn for a beginner ?    Thanks

#2 Mike7Mak

Mike7Mak

Surveyor 1

• Loc: New York

Posted 18 December 2018 - 07:35 AM

I've only used Nebulosity so I can't really say it's easier than anything else but for a 'beginner' it's priceless in other ways. The documentation is superb. The Neb manual is one of the most comprehensive basic introductions to image processing I've ever seen. It is much more than just a 'how to use the program' manual.

Even if you don't buy it, download the free trial and read the manual.

• elmiko likes this

#3 elmiko

elmiko

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 18 December 2018 - 08:10 AM

+ one for Nebulosity 4

#4 neaptide

neaptide

Viking 1

• Loc: NY

Posted 18 December 2018 - 08:21 AM

Deep Sky Stacker is another option. Its very easy to use and its free. There's a lot of tutorials on YouTube. You will need to post process your stacked image in another program though. Nebulosity is definitely a more complete software package with acquisition, stacking and post processing functions, all of which work very well. I prefer DSS to stack with and post process in StarTools. 

Edited by neaptide, 18 December 2018 - 08:22 AM.

• 42itous1 likes this

#5 Stelios

Stelios

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 18 December 2018 - 12:02 PM

Get something that will support you as you grow and won't hit a wall.

Most people use DSS (free) + Photoshop, or Pixinsight.   If you don't have Photoshop and can't afford Pixinsight, DSS + Star Tools is an option.

Note that Pixinsight and Photoshop are not simple, and have learning curves. But your goal should not be to get any image out fast, but to learn how to get good images. This is a hobby where people who want fast results and shortcuts fare poorly.

What will help you is a good book on processing. I recommend the Deep Sky Imaging Primer. The 1st editions covers Photoshop, the 2nd edition both Photoshop and Pixinsight. Note that the book is a treasure trove of information in *all* aspects of astrophotography, one of the best books about the hobby.

• rockstarbill, neaptide and 42itous1 like this

#6 StarMike8SE

StarMike8SE

Apollo

• Loc: Florida

Posted 18 December 2018 - 01:53 PM

I use APP (Astro Pixel processor).  It has lot of parameters to tweak, but when starting out, even taking the defaults gets you a good stacked image

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics