•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Satellite tracking available for CEM60 and CEM120

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 bosh60

bosh60

Vendor - Satellite Tracker

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southwestern Ontario, Canada

Posted 18 December 2018 - 09:39 AM

I purchased a CEM60 mount in September and my telescope is still back-ordered.  While waiting, I developed satellite tracking software for the CEM60 which has also been tested for the CEM120 by Real14 (thanks Rainer!)

It is available at my website  http://www.heavenwatch.ca

Enjoy!  

• zjc26138, psandelle, OleCuss and 1 other like this

#2 Xeroid

Xeroid

Surveyor 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 18 December 2018 - 10:26 AM

No offense but a better, safer method of providing software to the community would be to use the developers open source web site GitHuB

#3 555aaa

555aaa

Vendor (Xerxes Scientific)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lynnwood, WA, USA

Posted 18 December 2018 - 10:48 AM

The OP didn't say its open source. Just free. Looks like an interesting tool. Any videos?

#4 bosh60

bosh60

• topic starter

Posted 18 December 2018 - 11:00 AM

Any videos?

I don't even have a scope yet frown.gif   Real14 might be willing to share some of his videos during testing.

Edited by bosh60, 18 December 2018 - 11:01 AM.

#5 germana1

germana1

Viking 1

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 18 December 2018 - 06:55 PM

Might this also work for an IEQ 45 pro?

#6 mvas

mvas

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Eastern Ohio

Posted 18 December 2018 - 07:57 PM

I purchased a CEM60 mount in September and my telescope is still back-ordered.  While waiting, I developed satellite tracking software for the CEM60 which has also been tested for the CEM120 by Real14 (thanks Rainer!)

It is available at my website  http://www.heavenwatch.ca

Enjoy!  

Does it only do "leap frog" type tracking?

#7 bosh60

bosh60

• topic starter

Posted 18 December 2018 - 08:09 PM

Might this also work for an IEQ 45 pro?

Its only been tested on the CEM60 and CEM120.  I believe the iEQ45 is similar.  If it does not work correctly, I'm happy to work with you. 

• bsavoie likes this

#8 bosh60

bosh60

• topic starter

Posted 18 December 2018 - 08:11 PM

Does it only do "leap frog" type tracking?

Yes, leap frog only.  Currently iOptron firmware does not support variable slew rate commands. I have been in touch with iOptron (support and administration), with a request to implement variable rates. 

• stubeeef likes this

#9 orangeusa

orangeusa

Mariner 2

• Loc: Orange, CA

Posted 18 December 2018 - 08:33 PM

Your GUI has a nice look. Was it coded in C# ?

I don't have that mount, so can't assist in testing...

#10 Exnihilo

Exnihilo

Apollo

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 18 December 2018 - 08:38 PM

Very cool! Makes me wish I had a CEM 60 or 120!
  • jseivert likes this

#11 bosh60

bosh60

• topic starter

Posted 19 December 2018 - 06:52 PM

Your GUI has a nice look. Was it coded in C# ?

I don't use any third party tools/libraries. I prefer function and speed over appearance. Mainly calls to the native Windows API.  I dislike bloatware.  The software is only one .exe file about 600k and about half of that is embedded bitmaps.  

• kolsen likes this

#12 ks skyhawk

ks skyhawk

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 December 2018 - 05:36 PM

This looks like an interesting program. However, my Norton Security Suite software deleted the file shortly after it was downloaded. It interpreted the file as a threat.

Heur.AdvML.B  

Threat type:Heuristic Virus. Detection of a threat based on malware heuristics.

I'm sure you would want to know this. Presumably other people will have the same problem.

#13 HxPI

HxPI

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Virginia Beach, VA

Posted 20 December 2018 - 06:29 PM

Norton often has a fit and reports a false positive Heuristic malware signature for unknown files. Just report it to Norton and they will analyze it for trustworthiness.

I'll download and give it a try. Thanks for sharing.

Update: So far on the tabletop it connects and moves my CEM-60EC mount with no issue. Mount position matches satellite position perfectly. Now need to test outdoors, when the weather clears!

Is there any plans to implement with ASCOM? I would like to use Stellarium at the same time. Also, is there a way to implement some kind of FOV display to get a sense of how the object is traversing the FOV of a user definable camera/scope at the mount position? Finally, is there a way to have the current satellite passes list refresh at some user selectable interval, i.e. every 60 sec, 2 min, 5 min, etc. Thanks again.

Ciao,

Mel

Edited by HxPI, 20 December 2018 - 07:16 PM.

#14 bosh60

bosh60

• topic starter

Posted 20 December 2018 - 07:33 PM

This looks like an interesting program. However, my Norton Security Suite software deleted the file shortly after it was downloaded. It interpreted the file as a threat.

Heur.AdvML.B  

I'm sure you would want to know this. Presumably other people will have the same problem.

Try this.   https://submit.syman...false_positive/

#15 bosh60

bosh60

• topic starter

Posted 20 December 2018 - 07:53 PM

Norton often has a fit and reports a false positive Heuristic malware signature for unknown files. Just report it to Norton and they will analyze it for trustworthiness.

I'll download and give it a try. Thanks for sharing.

Update: So far on the tabletop it connects and moves my CEM-60EC mount with no issue. Mount position matches satellite position perfectly. Now need to test outdoors, when the weather clears!

Is there any plans to implement with ASCOM? I would like to use Stellarium at the same time. Also, is there a way to implement some kind of FOV display to get a sense of how the object is traversing the FOV of a user definable camera/scope at the mount position? Finally, is there a way to have the current satellite passes list refresh at some user selectable interval, i.e. every 60 sec, 2 min, 5 min, etc. Thanks again.

Ciao,

Mel

I may look at ASCOM at some point.  Timing is critical so not sure how it will perform with other softwares competing with data from the mount, but I will try it.  What I have done on the next version that I'm working on is to automatically refresh the satellite list when tracking of the current one is stopped. The FOV display is a good idea. Thanks for your comments. 

#16 bosh60

bosh60

• topic starter

Posted 21 December 2018 - 11:05 AM

Heur.AdvML.B  

I submitted it to Norton.  Hope this helps. 

falsepositives@symantec.com
9:55 AM (1 hour ago)

to me

In relation to submission 125939.

Upon further analysis and investigation we have verified your submission and, as such, the detection(s) for the following file(s) will be removed from our products:

File name: Install_skytrack.exe
    MD5: CDF79BD3185B41DD1035CE3F4E1EFB80
    SHA256: 2F24C9429CA4AE5CA4B081C74F0AD0C66E8848BC9FBE5176CFD7147A15DDE388
    Note: Whitelisting is available by downloading a RAPID RELEASE indicated in the Further Information section below or via the next Live Update
Further Information:
Required RAPID RELEASE sequence >= 197538

#17 bosh60

bosh60

• topic starter

Posted 21 December 2018 - 12:24 PM

The OP didn't say its open source. Just free. Looks like an interesting tool. Any videos?

Here is a video  from Rainer who has been doing testing for me with his CEM120.  The mount does very well, but you can also see the need for variable rate slewing. Hopefully iOptron comes through with that. 

#18 555aaa

555aaa

Vendor (Xerxes Scientific)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lynnwood, WA, USA

Posted 21 December 2018 - 04:59 PM

FYI - ASCOM's mount model supports variable tracking rates for both RA and DEC so you can in theory provide continuous tracking to mounts that support this feature. There's also a query you can send the mount to ask if it has this feature. It doesn't to my knowledge support a pre-loaded trajectory however. 

#19 HxPI

HxPI

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Virginia Beach, VA

Posted 27 December 2018 - 07:25 PM

On my MBP running Bootcamp with Windows 10 Pro, this installed just fine. However on my Intel Compute Stick with Windows 10 Pro, Windows Defender Security identifies this as a Trojan:Win32/Zpevdo.A threat and deletes it. Can this be investigated and resolved? Thanks.

Edited by HxPI, 27 December 2018 - 07:31 PM.

#20 x6gas

x6gas

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 28 December 2018 - 03:58 PM

Can't wait to try this... but I have the same problem with Windows Defender...

...even without using it, huge kudos (and thanks) to @bosh60 for developing this.

#21 bosh60

bosh60

• topic starter

Posted 29 December 2018 - 06:44 PM

On my MBP running Bootcamp with Windows 10 Pro, this installed just fine. However on my Intel Compute Stick with Windows 10 Pro, Windows Defender Security identifies this as a Trojan:Win32/Zpevdo.A threat and deletes it. Can this be investigated and resolved? Thanks.

You can submit it here.  https://www.microsof.../filesubmission

#22 bosh60

bosh60

• topic starter

Posted 30 December 2018 - 09:05 AM

I have a new version (v1.11) available for download now with some improved features. I submitted it first to Microsoft and Symantec and they deemed it clean, so hopefully you will not have a problem downloading it if you have the latest virus definitions.  These false positives are a real pain. I came across this tool called VirusTotal, and my install file so far is deemed clean with 66 of 70 virus scanners.  

Edited by bosh60, 30 December 2018 - 06:28 PM.

#23 jseivert

jseivert

Sputnik

• Loc: Kenosha, WI

Posted 31 December 2018 - 04:00 PM

Looks pretty nice!! I have a CEM60 and I'd be happy to help with any testing.

Jeff

#24 rbumm

rbumm

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 05 October 2019 - 11:41 AM

Hi, 

This is a stunning project and it works excellent with my CEM60. 

Thank you for providing this to the community. 

Would be great if you could be able to sort the predicted passes in the table via the satellite name, we are following the starlink satellites here with your software. 

Best regards

rudolf 

#25 rbumm

rbumm

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 05 October 2019 - 12:29 PM

No offense but a better, safer method of providing software to the community would be to use the developers open source web site GitHuB

No offense, this comment is redundant. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics