•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

GOT TO GO TO GOTO RESTO....

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#101 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 09 January 2019 - 05:34 PM

Great  job Tom  ! Boy I wish you guys would spend this much time and care on optics.

- Dave 

That is next Dave , with this build . I have to assemble the OTA first it is in paint and has to cure before a rub out .

Speakin' of optics what is your suggestion for the "Galatic Swirled " objective mentioned in this thread ?

Any thoughts of what might of caused that " Swirl " on that objective ?

• shredder1656 likes this

#102 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 09 January 2019 - 05:41 PM

Tom, one of the things you can try as well is to add touch-up paint to just above the height of the original paint.  Then use compound (followed by polish) to bring the height of the touch-up back to the height of the original paint.  You'd make/use a very small block under the cloth you use with the compound/polish.  I'd seen this on one of the car mailing lists some 20 years ago.

Have done that with 2000 grit wet sand paper George , and the compounds . The trick is with that is not to cut into surrounding paint around the touched up area .  

• Geo31 and shredder1656 like this

#103 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:05 AM

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_5874.jpg
  • IMG_5875.jpg
  • IMG_5876.jpg
  • IMG_5877.jpg
  • MINT.jpg

• astro140, clamchip, Dave Trott and 5 others like this

#104 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Cosmos

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:19 AM

That is next Dave , with this build . I have to assemble the OTA first it is in paint and has to cure before a rub out .

Speakin' of optics what is your suggestion for the "Galatic Swirled " objective mentioned in this thread ?

Any thoughts of what might of caused that " Swirl " on that objective ?

Tom,

Look at the glass surface under magnification and see if the stain is above the glass or the surface is etched. It looks to me that the surface had water on it that dried. So it might be  a mineral deposit on the surface or the glass could have become etched. 

If it is  a mineral deposit then soaking the element in hot distilled water may remove it, If that doesn't work  a mild warm to hot acid solution using white vinegar would be my next suggestion. 

If the glass is etch or the deposit won't come off then it is  time to break out the pitch pour a lap and repolish the surface then refigure the lens.

Right now it is going to be very beautiful telescope to look at but the image is not going to be very good because of the large amount of scatter and light loss from the stain.

- Dave 

Edited by DAVIDG, 10 January 2019 - 10:27 AM.

• clamchip and TOM KIEHL like this

#105 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Cosmos

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 10 January 2019 - 11:12 AM

Tom,

You have same great skills at mechanical restoration. You use the same skills to test, make and fix optics. All your doing is polishing glass, it is the same as polishing all those metal parts. All you need is bit of instruction on how it is done. It's not rocket science, I know since I sort have been doing that for the last 35 years. This optics stuff isn't that hard and when you understand that optics are made they using pretty crude methods to achieve a surface that is accurate to better than a millionth of inch. 

As you know I'm also into clocks. A few months ago I finally got one of the clocks I have been wanting for years, an ATMOS.  They sell new for between $6500 and $8500 so not cheap. Of course I got mine much cheaper . It was in great shape but it didn't run. So really pretty to look at but not functional. At first I was bit apprehensive to work on it, since it an expensive piece. I talked to others that know them and they told me what to do and how to do it. I was very nervous the first  time I took the movement out but I soon learned it wasn't hard and with a little cleaning and adjustment I now have a running ATMOS clock ! The result is both a beautiful piece of amazing engineering that in theory never needs to be wound that looks amazing in my living room  and also a functional clock which was the reason why  it was built. 

The same is true with telescopes, they were made to be looked through first and look at second so you owe that scope a chance of doing what it was made to do. 

- Dave

Edited by DAVIDG, 10 January 2019 - 12:29 PM.

• TOM KIEHL, Geo31 and jcruse64 like this

#106 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:46 AM

Yesterday was Thursday , a week of cure time has elapsed since I painted the Goto telescope tube . Below is a picture of the tube before any polishing with Turtle Wax automotive polishing compound . The threads on both ends of the tube still have painters blue masking tape over them to prevent the paint and polishing compound from filling up the threads . This tape will be removed after polishing is completed .  It's Time , Let The Polishing  Begin ! 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_5878.jpg

• deepwoods1, Bomber Bob and shredder1656 like this

#107 jcruse64

jcruse64

Ranger 4

• Loc: Paducah, KY USA

Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:31 AM

Tom,

You have same great skills at mechanical restoration. You use the same skills to test, make and fix optics. All your doing is polishing glass, it is the same as polishing all those metal parts. All you need is bit of instruction on how it is done. It's not rocket science, I know since I sort have been doing that for the last 35 years. This optics stuff isn't that hard and when you understand that optics are made they using pretty crude methods to achieve a surface that is accurate to better than a millionth of inch. 

As you know I'm also into clocks. A few months ago I finally got one of the clocks I have been wanting for years, an ATMOS.  They sell new for between $6500 and $8500 so not cheap. Of course I got mine much cheaper . It was in great shape but it didn't run. So really pretty to look at but not functional. At first I was bit apprehensive to work on it, since it an expensive piece. I talked to others that know them and they told me what to do and how to do it. I was very nervous the first  time I took the movement out but I soon learned it wasn't hard and with a little cleaning and adjustment I now have a running ATMOS clock ! The result is both a beautiful piece of amazing engineering that in theory never needs to be wound that looks amazing in my living room  and also a functional clock which was the reason why  it was built. 

The same is true with telescopes, they were made to be looked through first and look at second so you owe that scope a chance of doing what it was made to do. 

- Dave

Pictures, or it never happened Dave, lol!!!

#108 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 12 January 2019 - 07:14 AM

Ohoooo , Shiny ! .....Mongo Like Shiny !........ https://www.youtube....h?v=P8ciVBQixpU

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_5880.jpg

• Pete W, clamchip, DreamWeaver and 7 others like this

#109 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 12 January 2019 - 04:10 PM

I can hardly wait to get this scope out under the stars . snowedin.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_5883.jpg
  • IMG_5885.jpg
  • IMG_5886.jpg

• astro140, Pete W, deepwoods1 and 8 others like this

#110 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 12 January 2019 - 04:42 PM

Started to work on the tripod legs today , and finished the fabrication of a reasonable facsimile of the Goto Eyepiece tray . The EP tray was missing from my kit . Also I felt it was in order to have some sort of Case for the equatorial mount and the tripod legs . I had a case that I reworked for the mount , but I needed a case for the legs . I looked on on Craigslist for a Gun Case and found a Vintage red velvet lined Ithaca shotgun case . It's a hard case with a textured faux leather covering that cleaned up real nice for   20 bucks .

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_5889.jpg
  • ithaca case.jpg

• DreamWeaver, terraclarke, Bomber Bob and 3 others like this

#111 shredder1656

shredder1656

Apollo

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 13 January 2019 - 09:47 AM

Phenomenal work, Tom!!!  Looks gorgeous, and a good snag on that shotgun case.  

I can hardly wait for you to get that scope under the stars myself.  LOL.  We will see how accurate the forecast is, but over this way the skies are supposed to be clearing tonight through Monday night.  I hope they are correct, and I hope that the clearing spreads about 6 hrs east of here.  fingerscrossed.gif bounce.gif   It is still a little chilly, but that is no excuse.  grin.gif 

• TOM KIEHL likes this

#112 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 13 January 2019 - 10:12 AM

Phenomenal work, Tom!!!  Looks gorgeous, and a good snag on that shotgun case.  

I can hardly wait for you to get that scope under the stars myself.  LOL.  We will see how accurate the forecast is, but over this way the skies are supposed to be clearing tonight through Monday night.  I hope they are correct, and I hope that the clearing spreads about 6 hrs east of here.  fingerscrossed.gif bounce.gif   It is still a little chilly, but that is no excuse.  grin.gif

Thanks Scott , 

For now the scope is handicapped ! No ... Not by it's owner , all tho I do have a blue and white placard that hangs from my rear view mirror lol.gif . Seriously tho , the scope literally hasn't a leg to stand on ....yet .lol.gif  

• DreamWeaver, deepwoods1 and shredder1656 like this

#113 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 13 January 2019 - 11:32 AM

Here is the EP tray I made from a black plastic refractor  lens cap ( spare parts bin donor )  . Once again I referenced Stew44 's links to see what had to be made ....  https://www.cloudyni...ctor/?p=2325960  The O.D. of my tray is 5 5/8"  , The height was a 1/16" too high so , I put a sheet of sandpaper on a flat plate and removed the extra 1/16" by moving the tray edge in a circular motion on the sandpaper till desired height was achieved . I then drilled a hole in the center and JB weld ed the 5/16 nc  flush nut to the back side . Once epoxy cured , I placed a black  soft plastic thread protector  over the flush nut  protrusion on the inside of the tray . I could of made a more exacting replica , but a exact replica only can be stored in the case ONE way . Not to mention the elevated boss on the back side of a " Original " tray , tends to let the tray flex above the tripod leg joining rod set up . I wanted mine when screwed down on the tie rod assembly to be somewhat supported by the tie rods and to be stored in the case both ways . 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_5890.jpg
  • IMG_5891.jpg
  • IMG_5892.jpg

• clamchip, DreamWeaver, deepwoods1 and 2 others like this

#114 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• Loc: Third from the Sun

Posted 13 January 2019 - 05:06 PM

Just amazing Tom, as always. You Sir, are the master!

• DreamWeaver and TOM KIEHL like this

#115 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 13 January 2019 - 05:52 PM

Just amazing Tom, as always. You Sir, are the master!

Aha , Thanks Terra blush.gif , That is a bit of a stretch tho . Ya know what they say " Jack of all trades : Master of none " lol.gif

Edited by TOM KIEHL, 14 January 2019 - 07:02 AM.

• terraclarke likes this

#116 DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 13 January 2019 - 06:11 PM

TelescopeOverhaul Meister    bow.gif 

Edited by DreamWeaver, 13 January 2019 - 06:13 PM.

• deepwoods1, terraclarke, TOM KIEHL and 1 other like this

#117 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 13 January 2019 - 06:22 PM

TelescopeOverhaul Meister    bow.gif 

funnypost.gif rofl2.gif Good One Keith ! waytogo.gif 

• DreamWeaver likes this

#118 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 13 January 2019 - 08:26 PM

Family Photo 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_5899.jpg

• DreamWeaver, terraclarke, Geo31 and 2 others like this

#119 lsquaredb

lsquaredb

Lift Off

• Loc: Marblehead, MA

Posted 13 January 2019 - 09:13 PM

Tom, thanks for posting this inspirational and useful thread.  Last fall, I got the same model Goto-Hyscore, but a little bit older.  It has the bent tube style mount and a handwritten eyepiece note.  My box is in about the same condition as yours, so your details on the repair will be very helpful.  

You're in for  treat when you finally get to look through it.  The optics are wonderful, the mount stable, and the ergonomics (with the exception of the finder and taking the eyepiece apart in the dark to change focal length) are good too.  Optically, the finder is good, but I'm not as bendable as a  1950s Japanese school kid, and it's hard to get low enough to see though it when the scope is pointed near the zenith. I'll probably kludge a right angle finder for it eventually.

The eyepieces are really nice even though they're Huygens.  I tried some Baader Classic Orthos and the moon looked a bit soft.  The Gotos are really sharp and contrasty, but have a narrower FOV.  I wonder if the Goto scope and eyepieces were designed together as a system with the aberrations balancing each other out.

Tonight was cold and still with no marine muck, and I finally got to try out the 6mm Goto eyepiece with decent seeing.  Craters and mountains on the moon were sharp, so the scope is usable at 200x when the conditions are good.

• TOM KIEHL likes this

#120 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 14 January 2019 - 07:33 AM

Tom, thanks for posting this inspirational and useful thread.  Last fall, I got the same model Goto-Hyscore, but a little bit older.  It has the bent tube style mount and a handwritten eyepiece note.  My box is in about the same condition as yours, so your details on the repair will be very helpful.  

You're in for  treat when you finally get to look through it.  The optics are wonderful, the mount stable, and the ergonomics (with the exception of the finder and taking the eyepiece apart in the dark to change focal length) are good too.  Optically, the finder is good, but I'm not as bendable as a  1950s Japanese school kid, and it's hard to get low enough to see though it when the scope is pointed near the zenith. I'll probably kludge a right angle finder for it eventually.

The eyepieces are really nice even though they're Huygens.  I tried some Baader Classic Orthos and the moon looked a bit soft.  The Gotos are really sharp and contrasty, but have a narrower FOV.  I wonder if the Goto scope and eyepieces were designed together as a system with the aberrations balancing each other out.

Tonight was cold and still with no marine muck, and I finally got to try out the 6mm Goto eyepiece with decent seeing.  Craters and mountains on the moon were sharp, so the scope is usable at 200x when the conditions are good.

You're most welcome , and thank you . I can't hardly wait to look through it at night . My eyes get teary and can't focus on anything when it is cold out . I have set it up in the garage and lifted the garage door up and looked down the street at the detail on the bricks on the neighbor's garage ( maybe 300 yds ) . Those views are VERY PROMISING ! for excellent night views , I hope . We shall see when it warms up a bit . As of now I have 6 new restorations done this winter that need a Test Drive lol.gif when it warms up .    

#121 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 14 January 2019 - 08:24 AM

She's Got Legs !

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_5894.jpg
  • IMG_5897.jpg

• DreamWeaver, deepwoods1, terraclarke and 5 others like this

#122 deepwoods1

deepwoods1

Apollo

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 14 January 2019 - 09:24 AM

Awesome work! The “TOM” acronym is befitting! What’s up next? Ever thought of starting a YouTube channel like Dave Trott?

• Dave Trott, TOM KIEHL and Geo31 like this

#123 clamchip

clamchip

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 14 January 2019 - 10:51 AM

The leg case sure is nice, the legs too! and the scope! you did another beautiful job!

is the case factory?

Robert

• TOM KIEHL likes this

#124 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 14 January 2019 - 11:26 AM

Awesome work! The “TOM” acronym is befitting! What’s up next? Ever thought of starting a YouTube channel like Dave Trott?

" Awesome work! "....... Thanks Dave , It was a lot of fun to do . I almost enjoy Restorations more than Observations .

" The “TOM” acronym is befitting! " ...... Thanks Keith , thanks a lot ! smirk.gif lol.gif 

" What’s up next? "........ Oh , Don't know yet . I know I got another RV6 that need some lovein'...lol.gif 

" Ever thought of starting a YouTube channel like Dave Trott? "..... NO ! ... ( No offense , Dave Trott )  lol.gif ..... IF , I had the video equipment and the space for a set , to produce such Youtube videos and was not so Camera Shy . It would take so much valuable time away from doing the scope restorations that I love to do . Even this thread about the Goto Hy-Score 452 upsets the way I ROLL in the work shop ,,,, as in ,,,, Stop , take picture , Think , compose , take more pictures , size pictures , Think again , type post , Spell check , Grammar , Punctuation , And mainly the THINK Part is the most frustrating lol.gif . I'm OLD ( Tomorrow I'll be 66 ) and Retired  and have forgotten most if not all that I " Learned " in school lol.gif  See I told Ya !   rofl2.gif  .... I have thought briefly about setting up a museum or selling the whole lot for one money to someone that has or wants to have their own museum scratchhead2.gif hmm.gif idea.gif  

• DreamWeaver, Dave Trott and Kasmos like this

#125 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 14 January 2019 - 11:52 AM

The leg case sure is nice, the legs too! and the scope! you did another beautiful job!

is the case factory?

Robert

Thanks Robert ........ Yes Robert , the case is factory . It had a ribbon across one corner inside the case that said in fancy print " Ithaca  " . I believe it might of been a Ithaca Skeet shotgun case of old .  I got it by searching Craigslist for " Gun Case " It turned up this case for sale by owner that lived in Wooster Ohio , a 45 min. drive one way for me . So got into the car and went to pick up . Seller did state that it had been listed on CList for months and no calls except me . I seen other cases of plastic , but thought this one was more period correct for my use . The ad stated $25.00 or make an offer . So You Know Me ..... I made an offer of $20.00 .... He said , " Yes , it's just laying around in the garage "......     

Attached Thumbnails

• Ithaca case 2.jpg

Edited by TOM KIEHL, 14 January 2019 - 12:57 PM.

• clamchip and Bomber Bob like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics