•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

GOT TO GO TO GOTO RESTO....

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#126 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

• Loc: Willis, TX

Posted 14 January 2019 - 12:44 PM

" Ever thought of starting a YouTube channel like Dave Trott? "..... NO ! ... ( No offense , Dave Trott )  lol.gif ..... IF , I had the video equipment and the space for a set , to produce such Youtube videos and was not so Camera Shy . It would take so much valuable time away from doing the scope restorations that I love to do . Even this thread about the Goto Hy-Score 452 upsets the way I ROLL in the work shop ,,,, as in ,,,, Stop , take picture , Think , compose , take more pictures , size pictures , Think again , type post , Spell check , Grammar , Punctuation , And mainly the THINK Part is the most frustrating lol.gif . I'm OLD ( Tomorrow I'll be 66 ) and Retired  and have forgotten most if not all that I " Learned " in school lol.gif  See I told Ya !   rofl2.gif  .... I have thought briefly about setting up a museum or selling the whole lot for one money to someone that has or wants to have their own museum scratchhead2.gif hmm.gif idea.gif  

I know exactly what you mean about disrupting your work flow.  I've done things that I would like to take pics of, but it ends up making the job 3x as long at least (if you want to do quality pics).  I wrote an article for a car magazine a number of years ago doing an engine swap.  I'd done a couple before in the same platform, so it was old hat already.  BUT, having to stop all the time to take pics, I was spending more time taking pics than doing the bloody work!  For the RVC-6N, I'd like to take and put up more pics, but just can't.  Not if I want to finish it, and I really want to get that finished SOON!

• TOM KIEHL likes this

#127 Stew44

Stew44

Apollo

Posted 14 January 2019 - 02:13 PM

Tom, nice to see all the pieces, but when are we going to see it all put together from about forty five different angles?  Hmm? grin.gif   And collimation of that lens is sensitive.  To get the planetary views we all have come to expect from these f/20 super planetary refractors, collimation must be spot on.  Hmm?

• TOM KIEHL likes this

#128 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 14 January 2019 - 02:51 PM

I hear Ya Stew  lol.gif , Maybe tomorrow for the all angled pictures . But regretfully they will have to be indoor photos .smirk.gif

All tho I do have some of the mount in it's case for your viewing pleasure ......lol.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_5895.jpg
  • IMG_5896.jpg

• DreamWeaver, deepwoods1, Dave Trott and 5 others like this

#129 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 15 January 2019 - 07:38 AM

Tom, nice to see all the pieces, but when are we going to see it all put together?

Ok , It's time to bring all the pieces together !

My apologies for the indoor pictures . I just don't have the heart to set all this hard work out in the snow . If and when Spring ever arrives here in Ohio , I'll open this thread up again . To tell of the adventures of colimation and give a first light report .

Thanks for watching , and all the kind praise from everyone bow.gif 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_5900.jpg
  • IMG_5901.jpg
  • IMG_5902.jpg
  • IMG_5903.jpg
  • IMG_5904.jpg
  • IMG_5908.jpg

• davidmcgo, astro140, Pete W and 9 others like this

#130 Russell Smith

Russell Smith

Messenger

• Loc: 76707

Posted 15 January 2019 - 08:46 AM

Wonderful work on a fine classic. waytogo.gif bow.gif

Thanks for taking the time to share it.

• TOM KIEHL likes this

#131 deepwoods1

deepwoods1

Apollo

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 15 January 2019 - 01:11 PM

You’ve got the backdrop, now all you have to do is video the components with some cuts of the stills you shot while restoring, upload to YouTube and then you’re done! 

#132 Stew44

Stew44

Apollo

Posted 15 January 2019 - 02:08 PM

Tom,

Did you finish the legs with the same stain combination as the case?

• TOM KIEHL likes this

#133 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators

Posted 15 January 2019 - 03:22 PM

Tom, I made a longer Dec slow-motion rod for mine, it helps quite a bit at the eyepiece.  I kept the original but use it with the longer rod.  Food for thought, if you actually use this one.

• TOM KIEHL likes this

#134 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 15 January 2019 - 03:42 PM

Tom,

No Stew I did not ..... I just hate to totally wipe away years of precious patina . That aged patina look on those legs didn't get there overnight . I can do without the grime and white house paint splattered over-spray and black scuff marks  tho  . To rid the legs of the unwanted marks and over-spray . I used a 50/50 mixture of Boiled Linseed Oil and Mineral Spirits applied to the legs with 0000 Steel Wool . Most of the marks come right off and the treatment removes most scratches on the original finish . This treatment does tend to darken the finish somewhat . The stubborn  paint speckles had to be persuaded away with some fingernail plucking lol.gif . Once cleaned with the treatment , wipe off excess with a clean dry cloth . Let dry over night . Then I rubbed in a heavy coat of Johnson's Paste Wax FOR WOOD , with a cloth , Let dry to a haze   , Buffed with a clean terry cloth to a low luster finish as seen in the photos .

Befores

And Afters  

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_5889.jpg
  • IMG_5897.jpg

• fsphotography, Stew44 and Kasmos like this

#135 Kasmos

Kasmos

Surveyor 1

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 15 January 2019 - 04:43 PM

waytogo.gif If you hadn't explained, I would have thought they were totally stripped and refinished.

I may have to try that technique.

The nice thing about that is, I'm sure you can do the same to touch up any new scratches that happen to occur.

• TOM KIEHL likes this

#136 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 15 January 2019 - 05:08 PM

Tom, I made a longer Dec slow-motion rod for mine, it helps quite a bit at the eyepiece.  I kept the original but use it with the longer rod.  Food for thought, if you actually use this one.

Good idea Chuck waytogo.gif, ..... I plan on using it to get the optics dialed in and maybe a few nights after that . Then after that , it's " Put the bunny back in the box " .... https://www.youtube....h?v=Iu19igk-qsk .  I am in the process of getting estimates to have my driveway done in concrete this spring , FINALLY  ! yay.gif .... After that The Sky Is The Limit . I have too many Big Guns that will out perform that 60mm in my light polluted area . I wont have a Roll Off Observatory , I'll have a Roll OUT Observatory .  waytogo.gif waytogo.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_5671.jpg
  • IMG_5746.jpg
  • MEADE 7 MAK 001.jpg
  • MEADE 7 MAK 003.jpg

• DreamWeaver, Geo31, Stew44 and 2 others like this

#137 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

Posted 15 January 2019 - 05:49 PM

Tom,

In addition to Tom's explanation about the patina, another serious consideration is staining over previously finished wood can be a bad thing.  If wood has been finished before, you can sand off the finish, but... finish also soaks into the wood.  Usually you want stain to soak into the wood before finishing.  If there is old finish in the wood, the stain cannot soak in, or worse, it soaks in unevenly.  There are stains that have solids in them that will stain better over previously finished wood, but that is almost painting (not really, but sorta).  

• TOM KIEHL and Bomber Bob like this

#138 Stew44

Stew44

Apollo

Posted 15 January 2019 - 05:50 PM

Perfect opportunity for a Segway.   I just bought these at Harbor Freight to replace the Medium JMI Wheely Bars ($175) I used to use with Losmandy G-11 legs.  $2.99 for those that are Inside Track Members yesterday when I got them and they support 134 lbs. each.  Now I don't have to lug the mount with scope out of the garage.  When not on sale they are $4.99 each.

P1151162.JPG

Edited by Stew44, 15 January 2019 - 05:51 PM.

• PaulEK, TOM KIEHL, Geo31 and 1 other like this

#139 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

Posted 15 January 2019 - 05:58 PM

Perfect opportunity for a Segway.   I just bought these at Harbor Freight to replace the Medium JMI Wheely Bars ($175) I used to use with Losmandy G-11 legs.  $2.99 for those that are Inside Track Members yesterday when I got them and they support 134 lbs. each.  Now I don't have to lug the mount with scope out of the garage.  When not on sale they are $4.99 each.

attachicon.gif P1151162.JPG

You know, I just saw another mount recently where someone used this on each leg.  It's brilliant!  You can even use them with leveling screws!

• TOM KIEHL likes this

#140 Stew44

Stew44

Apollo

Posted 15 January 2019 - 06:09 PM

You know, I just saw another mount recently where someone used this on each leg.  It's brilliant!  You can even use them with leveling screws!

Yes, I have three.  The tube ends fit perfectly.  I only use to move and then set tube ends on concrete. When properly oriented don't have to mess with leveling that way.  Easy to move whole setup the 25 feet needed to clear my driveway trees.

Edited by Stew44, 15 January 2019 - 06:09 PM.

• TOM KIEHL likes this

#141 PaulEK

PaulEK

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 15 January 2019 - 10:28 PM

attachicon.gif P1151162.JPG

Might you have a link to this item, or did you buy them in a brick and mortar HF?

#142 PaulEK

PaulEK

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 15 January 2019 - 10:31 PM

Should've checked a bit first: here they are!

#143 Kasmos

Kasmos

Surveyor 1

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 16 January 2019 - 12:19 AM

Good idea Chuck waytogo.gif, ..... I plan on using it to get the optics dialed in and maybe a few nights after that . Then after that , it's " Put the bunny back in the box " .... https://www.youtube....h?v=Iu19igk-qsk .  I am in the process of getting estimates to have my driveway done in concrete this spring , FINALLY  ! yay.gif .... After that The Sky Is The Limit . I have too many Big Guns that will out perform that 60mm in my light polluted area . I wont have a Roll Off Observatory , I'll have a Roll OUT Observatory .  waytogo.gif waytogo.gif

Looking at you driveway I was beginning to think you lived on the Moon. shocked.gif

No more lunar landings!

• TOM KIEHL likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics