•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Oberwerk 5000 Series Head

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 HI_Stars

HI_Stars

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 December 2018 - 11:42 PM

We recently purchased the Oberwerk BT-82XL Binocular Telescope with the Oberwerk 5000 Series Head mounted on a Oberwerk TR3 Custom-Built Hardwood Tripod.

As with most astronomy products I have purchased, the instructions are a little sparse for this equipment. 

Which way the optics should be placed on the mount?  I have seen multiple pictures online and they appear to differ in the proper mounting of the binoculars.  I think the handles should be mounted nearest the eyepieces with the +/- knob on the right.  

Thanks. 

#2 Cali

Cali

Vostok 1

• Loc: Bay Area

Posted 19 December 2018 - 03:17 AM

Yes, that is how I have my 5000 set up. Besides hosting 20X80s I also use it host an Orion 128mm Mak. Works very well.

If in doubt speak with Kevin at Oberwerk.

- Cal

Edited by Cali, 20 December 2018 - 02:15 AM.

• HI_Stars likes this

#3 B 26354

B 26354

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California semi-desert (NELM mag 5.3)

Posted 19 December 2018 - 03:38 AM

I have two of the Oberwerk wooden tripods -- an "older" version one, and the more recent version -- as well as the Oberwerk "5000" head.

Here are my Oberwerk 20x80 Deluxe IIIs and the Oberwerk 5000 head on the older tripod:

Oberwerk 20x80 Deluxe III.jpg

Oberwerk 20x80 and 5000 Head.jpg

As you can see in the second pic, I've also incorporated one of the Oberwerk 1" Risers:

https://oberwerk.com...ies-binoculars/

...which allows me to view a bit closer to the zenith.

Here's the 5000 Head on the newer version of the tripod:

Oberwerk 5000 Head.jpg

Ultimately, how you set up the handles on the 5000 Head is a matter of what works best for you. I tried placing the handle(s) in various configurations, and found this one to be most convenient for me.

For one thing... using both handles seemed unnecessary, and also, too "confining".

I tried having the Altitude locking/release knob on both the right and the left, and ended up preferring it on the right.

And while having a single handle mounted on the right side makes it a tiny bit awkward to manipulate the Altitude locking/release knob and the "Safety Pin" release lever... I found that having it mounted on the left side completely interfered with being able to effectively operate the "Manfrotto Plate" locking/release lever.

I have been using it in this configuration for over a year now, and have had no problems with it whatsoever.

• terraclarke and HI_Stars like this

#4 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• Loc: Third from the Sun

Posted 19 December 2018 - 11:22 AM

That’s a beautiful binocular setup Terry! waytogo.gif waytogo.gif 

• B 26354 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics