•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

M42 via Nikon 5100 - (Back from CCD land )

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PeteM

PeteM

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: West Michigan

Posted 19 December 2018 - 12:35 AM

Many years ago I was active in this area of CN with my trusty Canon 1000XS. Then I got a good deal on a SBIG ST2000XM CCD setup and went down that path for a few years. Last night I attached my stock Nikon 5100 camera to the RC8 to see how it would work. I was blown away with how noise free the raw images were from a few test shots. So I slewed over to M45 spent some time collecting data and then over to M42. Man have I forget how easy and simple it is to image with a DSLR (one-shot color) compared to the CCD with filters and all that. They both have there places and ultimately a dedicated CCD/CMOS can outdo a DSLR, but I am really thinking of spending the next year just using the Nikon and see how far it can take me. Below is the "test" image of M42 and the first time I tried to process a HDR composite in PixInsight. Needless to say, I am pretty happy! Also below is a link to the full rez JPG at AB.

M42-HDR-Dec2018-CN.jpg

get.jpg?insecure

Comments, suggestions much appreciated

CS,

Pete

• nofxrx, Starman27, mikewayne3 and 10 others like this

#2 bill5wjw

bill5wjw

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 19 December 2018 - 08:25 AM

Welcome  back to DSLR s! For along time I was tempted to go the route of the mono CCD and the filter wheels and dedicate myself to that aspect of Astro photography. Nowadays I’m glad I held off. Here’s why: Technology is always advancing. One shot color cameras ARE the future of our hobby. In the not too distant future these cameras will equal their mono CCD ancestors in color reproduction. Sensitivity and signal to noise values of the newer one shot cameras  are currently meeting or exceeding older mono cameras. So for now, I’m content to wait. DSLR’s work for me.

#3 Merk

Merk

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cyprus, Nicosia

Posted 19 December 2018 - 02:31 PM

DSLR power!! 

Although you were unfaithful for some years, we accept you back!

• mtc and PowellAstro like this

#4 PeteM

PeteM

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: West Michigan

Posted 19 December 2018 - 03:48 PM

Thanks Merk, bill5wjw! Looking forward to pushing this camera to its limits. Especially when I hit my dark site next spring. Though I am sure the CCD will come out when a small galaxy or PN makes more sense. But I will focus on the Nikon when I can. My next steps will be to get it collimated with the RC and then tinker with the firmware hack.

• Merk likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics