•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Thoughts on automating Motel O' Scope?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 akulapanam

akulapanam

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 19 December 2018 - 01:20 AM

I came across this the other night  http://pierplates.com/motel.html and thought what a fantastic approach to backyard observatories.  One could fit 4 scopes in the same area as a single dome or two and it wouldn't have the issues roll off roof faces with the horizon/roof supports/HOAs.  One particularly interesting feature seemed like the ability to automate its opening and closing provided the scope was parked in the correct position.  I was curious if anyone had every attempted something like this and if a 180 degree computer controllable hinge was available? 

• mark77 likes this

#2 iwannabswiss

iwannabswiss

Viking 1

• Loc: Charleston SC

Posted 19 December 2018 - 06:40 AM

Anything possible, it will just take some engineering.

• astrodog73 likes this

#3 astrodog73

astrodog73

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 19 December 2018 - 02:42 PM

I'm sure you could get a large servo motor that would move the lid.

#4 driven

driven

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 19 December 2018 - 09:39 PM

I would not simply rotate the cover off the scope while leaving it attached to the platform. It will catch the wind and transfer that motion/vibration into the platform and scope, unless you have a seriously robust pier. If the cover and platform assembly is separate and isolated from the pier then that problem would be avoided.

#5 gregj888

gregj888

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oregon

Posted 19 December 2018 - 11:10 PM

Check this...  

https://www.cloudyni...ar#entry8779492

I would also agree with Driven, Decouple from the scope if possible.  Pier inside a tube that supports the cover maybe???

Look at the linear actuators used by the RV industry... lots of force and easy to attach.

#6 Tom K

Tom K

Mariner 2

• Loc: Escondido, CA

Posted 04 January 2019 - 12:59 AM

This was the inspiration when I built the original version of this enclosure about ten years ago.   The first was thin plywood with fiberglas outside but the sun ate that up, so this one is made of thin T1-11 paneling.   I have contemplated automating it but I never leave it out if there is any chance of rain so I just put it back up in the morning.

Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1157 (1).jpg

Edited by Tom K, 04 January 2019 - 01:00 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics