•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Right angle polar scope?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#26 saiph

saiph

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Krakow, Poland

Posted 27 February 2020 - 03:25 AM

I know this is old topic, but for what is worth, here's my input :)

3D printed adapter, designed to fit an angle finder to a polar finder.

I made it a little more versatile, so i can attach it also to my monocular, turning it from 20x60 into a 25/50x60. Pics of the monocular are taken before fitting the thumbscrews.

angle/polar finder pic 1

polar finder crosshair pic 2

monocular + angle finder pic 1

monocular + angle finder pic 2

monocular + angle finder pic 3

monocular + angle finder pic 4

• eros312 likes this

#27 OldSchoolAstro

OldSchoolAstro

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 14 September 2020 - 04:53 PM

I'll give my two cents worth as well smile.gif

I got a Nikon DR-3 cheap on Ebay, and then took an empty 35mm film canister, cut it open along the end about 3/4 of the way (it's just about 0.5-1mm too small to fit my Sky-Watcher polar scope without being cut), and drilled a hole in the back so I could insert the DR-3. Put an elastic around film canister to make it snug on polar scope. 

Attached Thumbnails

• image1.jpeg
  • image0.jpeg

Edited by OldSchoolAstro, 14 September 2020 - 10:33 PM.

• Astrojensen, eros312 and gnowellsct like this

#28 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 15 September 2020 - 08:21 PM

$125.00 U?S? Is mighty expensive.
Jim

$185.00 with shipping.  I just bought it.

Since y'all didn't ask, the right angle polar scope gizmo sold by Astro-physics costs in the neighborhood of $400--and you have to buy an adapter to use it with the older QMD models.  And if you buy the adapter, you should know, you're getting into a configuration which is incompatible with the use of digital setting circles.  

I found this out the hard way by ordering the item and then shipping it back unused to Astro-physics.  They had told me they had the hardware to make right angle polar scope work with a QMD but neglected the part about not using the setting circles.

It is however a more interesting and useful reticle.  You don't need to put Polaris into a certain spot relative to a second star.  There is a circular matrix with a bunch of squares for a bunch of years and seasons and you just move the mount till Polaris is in the right box.  That is very simple and cool.  So you're getting not just the right angle thingy but a whole new polar scope with a different way of doing the job.

Anyhow after 20 years of getting down into the mud for Losmandy polar scopes on both my G11 and my AP900QMD I am more than happy to pay $185 to have this item.  I hope it works.

Greg N

• eros312 likes this

#29 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 15 September 2020 - 08:23 PM

I'll give my two cents worth as well smile.gif

I got a Nikon DR-3 cheap on Ebay, and then took an empty 35mm film canister, cut it open along the end about 3/4 of the way (it's just about 0.5-1mm too small to fit my Sky-Watcher polar scope without being cut), and drilled a hole in the back so I could insert the DR-3. Put an elastic around film canister to make it snug on polar scope. 

Man.  I should have read through the whole thread before ordering.  Never mind.  No regrets.  GN

#30 eros312

eros312

Viking 1

• Loc: Tampa, FL

Posted 15 September 2020 - 08:38 PM

The Losmandy one from TS also works on Takahashi 6x30 finder scopes. 

• Astrojensen and Ihtegla Sar like this

#31 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 15 September 2020 - 09:42 PM

The Losmandy one from TS also works on Takahashi 6x30 finder scopes. 

Figures.  I own two Takhashi finder scopes both 7x50. 

Not sure I need a right angle gizmo for that, but maybe.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics