•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron hand controller cable extension

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#26 tomwall

tomwall

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 16 February 2019 - 01:49 PM

Dynan,

It sounds like you have found the answer everyone has been looking for. I can easily imagine running at a dark site from the inside of my climate controlled car. A 25' HC extension would run the mount and slightly extended camera cables would get those cables safely on through the car window. Power would not be an issue. The laptop (or Android) can easily get power from a running car and the mount can run all night on my 17 amp hour battery from Harbor Freight. I'm excited! I'm looking forward to dark site observing this Summer when the desert is 105* and the bugs will kill you! ;-0

Tom,

Tucson

#27 Dynan

Dynan

Vanguard

• Loc: NOLA

Posted 16 February 2019 - 03:03 PM

Tom, glad to help. The main drawback I saw when using my van to escape the heat/bugs was that staring to right to see the computer quickly turned into a painful problem. That (and wanting a pier) is what drove me to connect inside the house (my friend's Farm). The skeeters here in Southern Mississippi are legendary...and horsefly season is horrible at night with ANY light.

For darksite trips, the extension helped me quite a bit... especially being a newbie. Until I get consistent runs with SGP and master plate-solving, I like having the hand controller with me. I still find StarSense to be invaluable...again, until plate-solving is mastered. With the horrible skies we've had, I'm lucky to get anything done. But that came when I ordered the ES ED127CF...had it out ONCE in 6 weeks.

Let me know how it goes...

• tomwall likes this

#28 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Vanguard

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 16 February 2019 - 04:54 PM

The new CPWI software that replaces Nexremote and offers a Windows equivalent of Stellarium dedicated to Celestron mounts should resolve many of these issues. I like it!

The only problem I have had during testing is that Windows Remote Desktop has struggled to wirelessly handle my 16 megapixel high resolution camera and graphics intensive CPWI when displayed 'end to end' in a 4k display system. But reverting to cat6a cable or dropping resolution to 1080p (if by WiFi) works fine.

CPWI creates a virtual hand controller in a manner similar to assigning such tasks to a Android/IOS tablet. However, "Imagers" should be fine with watching a 1080p display as that doesn't prevent them saving full resolution images for later post processing. However, EAA Observers may find this requires a cable solution if they want to observe in 4k UHD resolution, that is until wireless technologies catch up. I don't think this is an issue with native bandwidth as I have invested in the best 802.11ac wireless kit. I am ever more convinced it is a limitation of Windows Remote Desktop that perhaps can't handle the extra data and redraw the screens fast enough in 4K, as I said works fine at 1080p or via cat6a cable. But does provide an alternatuve to a long extension cable for HC. A Starsense auto-align works great with CPWI.

Edited by Noah4x4, 16 February 2019 - 04:57 PM.

• tomwall and Dynan like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics