•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Review of the APM 152 ED serial number 245

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

• topic starter
  • Loc: Land of clouds and LP

Posted 24 December 2018 - 12:43 PM

So here are my thoughts. No matter how much you paid for a premium triplet, on most objects the 152MM can keep up with it. If you want to see no false color and need your ego stroked because the scope is not expensive, don't buy the APM. Get a TAK/TEC/AP, you'll feel better about yourself. If you consider the value, this scope is just an excellent buy. It’s like the EON version of the SW150. You get a better focuser/case/sliding dew shield/rings/ and a much prettier scope.

Click here to view the article
  • oldmanrick likes this

#2 Stellar1

Stellar1

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 24 December 2018 - 12:50 PM

Enjoyed reading that, its a monster frac!

• hfjacinto likes this

#3 michael_m

michael_m

Ranger 4

• Loc: Mount Vernon, Wa

Posted 24 December 2018 - 01:55 PM

Enjoyed the article. A good read, objective and informative. I've been thinking about getting a refractor. Your article was helpful. Thanks.
  • hfjacinto likes this

#4 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 24 December 2018 - 02:01 PM

Your write up seems legit.

I have both large ED's and med Triplets and know their limitations (which Is why I currently have both).

• hfjacinto likes this

#5 Spacefreak1974

Spacefreak1974

Skylab

• Loc: Indianapolis, IN

Posted 24 December 2018 - 02:17 PM

I have an 8” Schmidt cassegrain currently and looking for my next scop. Given the unobstructed view I’m speculating that I won’t lose any brightness on object vs my 8” SCT’s and it might be slightly better? Thoughts?

I’ve had friends suggest that I get a 16” dobsonian for more reach but I’m hung up on looking at refractors. I have access to a 12” dob from the club as well as a C14.

Jon

#6 Spacefreak1974

Spacefreak1974

Skylab

• Loc: Indianapolis, IN

Posted 24 December 2018 - 02:18 PM

I have an 8” Schmidt cassegrain currently and looking for my next scop. Given the unobstructed view I’m speculating that I won’t lose any brightness on object vs my 8” SCT’s and it might be slightly better? Thoughts?

I’ve had friends suggest that I get a 16” dobsonian for more reach but I’m hung up on looking at refractors. I have access to a 12” dob from the club as well as a C14.

Jon

#7 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

• topic starter

Posted 24 December 2018 - 02:43 PM

Jon,

I have the 9.25 and while the 9.25 gathers more light compared to the APM 152, it also has bloated stars and more scatter and image shift which is annoying to me. It also takes much longer to cool down compared to the 152. The 152 will probably show you every object that the C8 shows you so it won't really complement your stable. A 16" dob or 14" SCT will let you go deeper. Now I know this sucks but refractors have a certain color and sexyness that an SCT doesn't.

So here is my recommendation, if you want to go deeper get a larger DOB or SCT.

If you want to replace your C8, the 152 is a good alternative but needs a robust mount.

If you think you want a refractor, the 120M (SW/etc) is a really good size. Its not so big that it needs a killer mount but has enough aperture that it will show you lots of DSO's. I have an 80 and 72MM APO and honestly they are only used for imaging.

Just to show you the size difference between a 120 and the 152.

post-64219-0-11323100-1533922607.jpg

• doctordub and Bomber Bob like this

#8 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

• topic starter

Posted 24 December 2018 - 02:44 PM

This is a 70MM next to the 152.

post-64219-0-10451400-1533922479_thumb.j

and the 120MM in a side view

post-64219-0-73387300-1533922564_thumb.j

• kenkolen and Bomber Bob like this

#9 Ptkacik

Ptkacik

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 24 December 2018 - 04:40 PM

I too, have the APM152 and yes, the views are great. However, it is a monster. Probably five feet long, and heavy. As I get older and weaker, mine just doesn't go out much.

But oh those views!
  • hfjacinto and ShaulaB like this

#10 kenkolen

kenkolen

Explorer 1

• Loc: Miami

Posted 24 December 2018 - 06:29 PM

I have lens 121, excellent scope. I was surprised as I received the strehl test from Markus and it was only .927 I thought that was a little low. I am no expert at strehl. I am very happy and this is my go to scope on a DiscMount DM-6 with Nexus DSC to grab and go to the field. Yes grab and go!

I did upgrade my focuser to a Moonlite which is motorized, why, because with high power planetary eyepieces the moonlite allows very very tiny ticks to the focus. And no scope shake.

Thanks for the review and much success to Markus, he really contributes so much to this hobby.

Neal

• hfjacinto and Bomber Bob like this

#11 oldmanrick

oldmanrick

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Western Montana, USA

Posted 24 December 2018 - 07:34 PM

Thanks for the nice review!  I've been wishing for a large refractor, and the APM 152 is one of the top candidates, even more so since reading your report.

You touched on a lot of things that matter to me.  This sounds like an excellent scope for the money, and really just plain excellent, regardless of price.

Thanks again, and Merry Christmas and a happy 2019 to you and all the readers here on CN, from the cloud enshrouded, frozen, Rocky Mountain West!  coldday.gif

May your skies be clear and your nights be warm!

Edited by oldmanrick, 24 December 2018 - 07:35 PM.

• hfjacinto likes this

#12 Chris Cook

Chris Cook

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Harwich, MA

Posted 25 December 2018 - 01:54 PM

I enjoyed reading your review.  The 152ED is still on my list... as is the 92mm Stowaway.  Gotta buy the Stowaway first though.  :)  Two refractor purchases in one year... yes please.  

Chris

#13 RichA

RichA

Apollo

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 25 December 2018 - 08:42 PM

Thanks for the rundown.  The Taks I've owned have all been very good.

I understand the reviews for these scopes.  I've yet to see a low-priced, larger apo that has a really good diffraction pattern.  There is probably variations from one to another as well. Disappointing because I've got an older Japanese Antares 127mm f/8.0 achro lens with essentially a perfect diffraction pattern and it cost very little.  But, it doesn't surprise me that there is a price level you need to get to in order to obtain something really impressive.  You might consider uploading slightly better photos, the ones in the article are pretty low resolution (a phone?).

#14 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

• topic starter

Posted 25 December 2018 - 10:59 PM

Rich all photos were taken with a full frame dslr. I sent compresssd but high resolution photos to the admin but somehow the resolution suffered. This article is actually a rehash of my review in the the refractors forum. You can check it out here:

https://www.cloudyni...o-in-the-house/

Pictures there are much better and I included a few astrophotos I took with the APM152

#15 Hankster

Hankster

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 December 2018 - 09:14 PM

Thanks for the great write up on the scope I am about to buy. You aren’t on the payroll, right? Hank

#16 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

• topic starter

Posted 26 December 2018 - 11:19 PM

Hank not only did I have to pay for the scope I brought beer and burgers to the delivery guy :) I got the scope from
Tolgaastro and when Tolga dropped it off I took him out for burger and beers.
  • Bomber Bob likes this

#17 Lew Chilton

Lew Chilton

Vanguard

• Loc: Light Pollution Capital, USA

Posted 27 December 2018 - 01:38 PM

Everything you said about the Tak TOA-130 is true; that's why I traded it in for a TSA-120. It's lighter and easier to handle, although I miss the advantages of larger aperture. (Its focuser is also bleh.) If I were 20 years younger, I'd definitely consider the APM 152, thanks to your splendid review.  -Lew

• hfjacinto likes this

#18 wangwang004

wangwang004

Lift Off

• Loc: Shanghai,CN

Posted 28 December 2018 - 11:19 AM

well done!maybe I need one APM 152ED

• hfjacinto likes this

#19 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

• topic starter

Posted 28 December 2018 - 02:19 PM

well done!maybe I need one APM 152ED

everyone that has a mount for it needs an APM152 ED wink.gif

• Astrojensen likes this

#20 Jon_Doh

Jon_Doh

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: On a receiver's back

Posted 28 December 2018 - 03:27 PM

I have lens 121, excellent scope. I was surprised as I received the strehl test from Markus and it was only .927

Neal, according to a chart on Strehl ranges I saw published by Valery a Strehl between 90 and 95 is considered excellent.  

• Bomber Bob likes this

#21 aa6ww

aa6ww

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Sacramento, Calif.

Posted 04 January 2019 - 02:31 AM

I bought the same scope. Its excellent and very light weight. OTA is under 19 pounds stripped. This will be my awesome back yard and front yard scope. I don't need to take it out to dark skies to enjoy it.

I had a TOA 130 also. It was very heavy for a small 5" refractor. 

Your review was excellent. You talked about what mattered and left out everything that didn't mater.

Hoping for some good spring and summer observing this year!

....Ralph

• hfjacinto and Spacefreak1974 like this

#22 tom_fowler

tom_fowler

Lift Off

Posted 15 January 2019 - 11:08 PM

I have the Lunt-marketed version of this scope, which I bought a few years ago (made by APM).  It sounds like APM has upgraded the focuser, which is good because the one on the Lunt version definitely had problems (see my CN posting on how to fix it).  The Strehl on mine, according to the test report that came with it, is 0.94.  I've used the ES focal reducer/field flattener with it for photography, which works fine.  I agree with the comments about the optical performance of this scope.  I don't agree about the performance of the Celestron scopes.   My C8 and C11 both have pinpoint stars. 

#23 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

• topic starter

Posted 15 January 2019 - 11:19 PM

I don't agree about the performance of the Celestron scopes. My C8 and C11 both have pinpoint stars.

Having looked through various SCT’s the best that I have looked through have been the Edge series. Then it would be the 9.25. My friend Tony’s 9.25 is older than mine but he has very little mirror shift and more pinpoint stars than I do. But neither of these compared to an almost optically perfect 14 Edge scope a former member of our AA club had. Now that was an impressive SCT.

#24 tom_fowler

tom_fowler

Lift Off

Posted 16 January 2019 - 03:20 PM

Having looked through various SCT’s the best that I have looked through have been the Edge series. Then it would be the 9.25. My friend Tony’s 9.25 is older than mine but he has very little mirror shift and more pinpoint stars than I do. But neither of these compared to an almost optically perfect 14 Edge scope a former member of our AA club had. Now that was an impressive SCT.

Yes my Celestron scopes are the Edge series models.  I don't use them at high powers because the atmospheric conditions in the middle of the city don't support that.  I might notice more of a difference between them and the 152 under better conditions.

• hfjacinto likes this

#25 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

• topic starter

Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:30 PM

Tom

I live 17 miles of NYC on the plain west of the Watchung mountains (or hills, if you live on the west coast) and seeing isn’t usually terrible and on good days you can pull a lot of power. It’s not always great but on those clear, transparent and good seeing days you really need to push the power. I like the view one gets with a refractor and 6” really is a sweet size. On those days it’s when I really notice the difference between an SCT and a refactor.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics