•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Review of the APM 152 ED serial number 245

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#26 jacobch

jacobch

Lift Off

• ***--
  • Loc: washington state

Posted 19 January 2019 - 12:01 AM

I found this review to be quite accurate and fits my experience with the same refractor.  I have the Lunt version of this with a great focuser.  there is very little if any color when in complete focus.  I have been completely happy with this instrument.  It is not really very heavy and is quite portable.  I have never tried astrophotography with this.  I am sure it would work well for mono work and maybe with a lrgb  filter setup. 

Great scope especially for the money!.

cjacobson

#27 jacobch

jacobch

Lift Off

• ***--
  • Loc: washington state

Posted 19 January 2019 - 01:10 AM

I have this scope except  its the Lunt version.  It is an excellent performer as the reviewer has suggested.  there is essentially no lateral color.  It snaps into focus.  Its a great buy for the price.  the color correction is much better than my old AP 178 f8 blue tube.  

this review was one of several very positive reviews on this very scope.  If you are in the market for a 6in APO or near APO this is it.  You probably will not see anything more with a  6 in triplet.  

My focuser is excellent.

CJacobson

• hfjacinto likes this

#28 Mabalis

Mabalis

Lift Off

Posted 22 January 2019 - 11:02 PM

Great article!  Now I'm thinking that I ought to go see what it will cost me to get refractorized . .  I'm running a 152 F8 dob, it would be great to compare them.  I'm nothing if not frugal and value oriented.  Thanks!

• hfjacinto likes this

#29 RichA

RichA

Apollo

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 26 January 2019 - 03:45 PM

Just a side issue; describing the star images in a C9.25" schmidt as "bloated" is misleading and likely was the view at lower power in bad seeing .  A properly collimated SCT in (key) excellent seeing produces star images that are 1/2 the size of an apo of 1/2 the aperture, that's optical law.  If at high power the SCT produces star images bloated to twice normal size, and a completely unrecognizable diffraction pattern (which would be the result) then the optics would be many waves out of spec.  So before condemning any large aperture scope, consider adequate cool-down and seeing.

• astroneil and Spacefreak1974 like this

#30 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

• topic starter
  • Loc: Land of clouds and LP

Posted 27 January 2019 - 05:26 PM

Just a side issue; describing the star images in a C9.25" schmidt as "bloated" is misleading and likely was the view at lower power in bad seeing .  A properly collimated SCT in (key) excellent seeing produces star images that are 1/2 the size of an apo of 1/2 the aperture, that's optical law.  If at high power the SCT produces star images bloated to twice normal size, and a completely unrecognizable diffraction pattern (which would be the result) then the optics would be many waves out of spec.  So before condemning any large aperture scope, consider adequate cool-down and seeing.

The SCT in great seeing was an excellent scope, but the stars were larger than 6" APO.  So they were "bloated". I can see the difference is star size even with imaging. The SCT while a light bucket and letting go fainter also has some issue, for example it has large mirror shift and finding perfect focus was hard due the way the scope focuses (by moving the rear mirror). For the price an SCT is a great scope that is compact and is an excellent planetary imaging scope (see below)

post-64219-0-81042700-1461286934.jpg

But for star clusters the stars are bloated compared to my APO's, something about an APO and tiny stars.

• greywulf4570 likes this

#31 drd715

drd715

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Fort Lauderdale

Posted 13 March 2019 - 09:54 PM

My APM 152 is number 235. The 3.7 inch focuser is great  i enjoy the scope, it is a good value for the money.  The 152 is a long scope and does become less than perfectly stable in windy conditions.  When wi ds are calm and the sky is stable it produces a vreat view.  

For those persons put off by the size, APM has a 140 mm a bit shorter and even better spectrum in focus color crossings for astrophotography 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics