•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Need some sound advice...

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#26 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 07 January 2019 - 04:26 PM

Coolness. Nearly all of my scopes have come from the used market and by far the #1 problem has been wonky colimation and a munged secondary support.

Ugh, the #2 problem that I have seen with GPS scopes has been LNT modules that have been installed upside down after the original owner installed an upgrade. It is a forgivable mistake, it looks right upside down, but it's upside down.

Ugh.
  • PKG likes this

#27 PKG

PKG

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Frederick, MD

Posted 26 May 2019 - 12:54 PM

The end result... Scope is fixed.  It was incredibly mis-aligned.  ( I am pretty convinced it was unloaded due to being so 'out of wack'.) Virtually impossible to collimate.  I ended up replacing the collimating springs and re-centering the secondary mirror. I used temporary shims to get it as close to center on the corrector plate as I could.  (Thanks maadscientist) Using Dr. Sherod suggestion I acquired the smallest eyepiece I could find and removed the lenses. Inserting it in the OTA, I was able to re-align the optics.  It worked.
Before the adjustment, I focused the scope on some wires hanging on a light poll about 100 yards away.  They were totally blurry.  After the adjustment, I could read the writing on the cables.  I cannot wait for a clear night to 'fine tune' it...

• Ken Sturrock likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics