•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Modern Travel Case for Questar

• Please log in to reply
171 replies to this topic

#51 SJTill

SJTill

Explorer 1

Posted 17 February 2019 - 09:52 PM

That looks great! Thanks very much for prototyping this.

Stan

#52 RobertPettengill

RobertPettengill

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Austin, Texas

Posted 28 February 2019 - 12:32 AM

I wrestled with fitting all the legs in one slot as you do, Rob, and also worried about the finish.  But I could easily put the shorter center leg underneath a side leg, and gain some space in the footprint (if the makers are unhappy with my violating the margins).

I have a fake chamois cloth cut to the length of the legs.  I wrap it around the bottom one and zig zag it around the other two legs.  The cloth occasionally comes in handy if things get dewy.

;rob

Edited by RobertPettengill, 28 February 2019 - 12:32 AM.

#53 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Dallas TX

Posted 14 March 2019 - 08:47 AM

I'm pleased to report that the refined design works great.

IMG 1360

IMG 1359

IMG 1361

I'll be placing an order soon, and invite anyone interested in getting one to message me and include your email address for correspondence to receive pricing. 

At last, you can leave your fragile and vulnerable leather Questar case at home and protect your Questar telescope when traveling or in the field. The compact size is selected to fit under most airline seats and rugged and supportive enough to entrust to gate check handlers. Your Questar scope has never been better protected.

The precision pre-cut foam insert design is optimized to neatly store everything from your original case, and more:

•     Questar 3.5" Standard or Duplex telescope of every era (excluding Powerguide II with protruding base plate).
  •     Up to five spare eyepieces (case will include cut-to-length eyepiece filler plugs providing a flush appearance if unused - not shown)
  •     Solar filter slot fits off axis or full-aperture filters.
  •     Camera Coupling.
  •     AC cord.
  •     Tabletop legs.

Large (7"x2"x 5-1/2") storage compartment for other accessories, including the large Powerguide III controller. Includes removable foam lid to contain and isolate items from legs above.

Available in Black, Gray, Orange, and Yellow.

EXTERIOR (L X W X D) 16.87" x 14.10" x 9.27"
WEIGHT WITH FOAM: 6 pounds 2 ounces.

Main portion uses premium Pro-Cell foam. This provides a fine appearance with a firm soft surface. It may scratch if scraped or gouged with a sharp corner or tool.

Notes:

•     No further customization is available. You may always start from scratch with your own design at MyCaseBuilder. Note that the offered version is the third refinement after initial prototypes.
  •     Shorter early scopes will have a slight gap at the lens cap; newest scopes will have a snug fit. Both are securely supported.
  •     The supplier guarantees that the foam won't degrade and damage telescope surfaces like old foam has.
  •     These are custom made and not returnable for any reason. Review the description and photos. If in doubt don't order.
  •     Let me know if interested in other models (Field, 700, Seven, Five, PG II). Demand may drive later offerings.
  •     These store on their bottom side, and not with an upright scope. It is a myth that glass flows over time.
  •     These water tight cases will maintain constant humidity, so never put away a damp scope. Desiccant with a visual indicator is strongly advised, even if putting away a warm dry scope in a humid environment for cooler storage.

Message me with your email for pricing and timing if interested.      This may be the one and only chance to order these - don't wait to see how everyone likes them.

Edited by Optics Patent, 14 March 2019 - 11:12 AM.

• drprovi57, coz, terraclarke and 3 others like this

#54 Toddeo

Toddeo

Apollo

• Loc: Sierra Vista, AZ

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:44 AM

I don't quite understand the dimensions that are listed for the case: 16.9" x 4.1" x 9.27"(L-W-D)?  How does the Q 3.5 fit in a case that has one of the dimensions at only 4.10"?

Edited by Toddeo, 14 March 2019 - 10:25 AM.

#55 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 14 March 2019 - 11:08 AM

I don't quite understand the dimensions that are listed for the case: 16.9" x 4.1" x 9.27"(L-W-D)?  How does the Q 3.5 fit in a case that has one of the dimensions at only 4.10"?

Typo corrected.

#56 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:41 AM

I'm happy to report we have good response but need some more to be able to get the pricing down to $300 plus shipping.

Should finalize for ordering in the next week or two.  There will be a "last chance" announcement here.

After the initial order these are likely to be in-stock items at higher price (~$350-400) with potentially limited color choice.

Message me to be notified for ordering.  Your message isn't a commitment (but do let me know your level of commitment if you can, to help with numbers) and be sure to include your email address because all communications will be by group email (with addresses concealed in BCC for confidentiality).

• Loren Gibson likes this

#57 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 31 March 2019 - 01:55 PM

About to order this week.  Message me if you are interested and have not already expressed an interest.  It is very likely that this will be the last and only group buy, and if any are offered later they will be $50-100 more and in-stock items.

Update: Almost everyone has paid, so the window will close shortly without further notice.

Interestingly, the color preferences skewed 80% Yellow, 20% black.  My understanding is that if the factory offers these they will undoubtedly be black.

My next wish is for a simple case cover with backpack straps and one closed-cell panel for spinal comfort.

Edited by Optics Patent, 01 April 2019 - 12:52 PM.

• rcwolpert likes this

#58 BillHarris

BillHarris

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: northwest Alabama

Posted 22 April 2019 - 11:18 AM

Just now catching up with this topic. I assume that the ordering window has closed.

Put my name down for the next production run, or for any leftovers from the initial run. Questar Standard.

My preference is for low-key Grey color. But Yellow is so modern, and I'll take whatever it comes in.

The traditional case is so traditional but is also a damageable item. And Pelican THE standard for protection.

--Bill
(email addy to be sent privately)

#59 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 April 2019 - 01:10 PM

Yes, the window closed and though I have no updates the cases should be shipped before long.  I'll collect email addresses who are interested in the next order - you can put all your details in the PM. 

I have about 5 of the 10 needed for a PGII version, and will keep names for a regular one as well.

#60 BillHarris

BillHarris

Messenger

• -----

Posted 24 April 2019 - 02:30 PM

Put me on the list. I like Pelican cases.
One option to consider, since the company has your foam-cutting (digital) template on file, is licensing one-time uses of that template. Someone could essentially buy a foam insert for that case. And you wouldn't sell it at cost, but at what the market would bear.

Edited by BillHarris, 24 April 2019 - 02:34 PM.

#61 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 April 2019 - 04:19 PM

Bill, that's not a bad idea.  I'm going to see how this first run goes before adding any twists.

#62 BillHarris

BillHarris

Messenger

• -----

Posted 25 April 2019 - 08:29 AM

And wait for feedback from the users on the foam configuration. You have done a careful job in the design, but once you get out in the dark and cold, ideas for change come out.

Edited by BillHarris, 25 April 2019 - 08:30 AM.

#63 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 April 2019 - 09:58 AM

I hope not too much.  This is the third iteration.

#64 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 April 2019 - 12:20 PM

I note that shipments from NJ are arriving east coast starting today and next week for west coast.
  • rcwolpert likes this

#65 rcwolpert

rcwolpert

Vanguard

• Loc: South Hutchinson Island, Florida

Posted 25 April 2019 - 05:24 PM

Looking forward to receiving my case. Thanks, Ben!

#66 Toxo144

Toxo144

Explorer 1

Posted 25 April 2019 - 06:15 PM

Ben,

Got both of mine today.  Looks and fits great, will definitely save some wear and tear on the old leather case through the airport.  A fitting protector for an exquisite instrument

Thanks for getting this together!

Toxo

(Dave H).

• rcwolpert likes this

#67 spereira

spereira

Apollo

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 26 April 2019 - 02:29 PM

I received my case today.

It's gorgeous!  I'm so glad I purchased it.  

Thanks very much, Ben, for designing this beautiful case - and then going through the effort to make it available to others.

smp

• rcwolpert likes this

#68 BillHarris

BillHarris

Messenger

• -----

Posted 26 April 2019 - 04:10 PM

Pelican are The Gold Standard of carrying cases.
  • daddymouse likes this

#69 rcwolpert

rcwolpert

Vanguard

• Loc: South Hutchinson Island, Florida

Posted 26 April 2019 - 05:17 PM

I received my case today.

It's gorgeous!  I'm so glad I purchased it.  

Thanks very much, Ben, for designing this beautiful case - and then going through the effort to make it available to others.

smp

Mine is due to arrive on Monday. Waiting anxiously!

#70 gmkirk130

gmkirk130

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 April 2019 - 08:53 PM

I got mine today, too. It looks great!  Thanks, Ben. 

#71 MP4260

MP4260

Lift Off

• Loc: SF Bay Area

Posted 27 April 2019 - 08:44 PM

A few months late w/ a just acquired scope.  I sent you a message to get on the next/standby list.  

Thanks for pursuing this!

-E

#72 SJTill

SJTill

Explorer 1

Posted 01 May 2019 - 12:08 PM

I just received mine this morning. Nice tight fit for my standard Questar.

It feels a lot lighter than when in the leather case, but I haven't weighed them to compare.

Thanks again, Ben!

Stan

#73 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

• Loc: Terra Nova Observatory

Posted 03 May 2019 - 06:29 AM

Any thoughts on a second run?

#74 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 May 2019 - 07:39 AM

I’m taking email addresses by private message and when we hit the needed volume for pricing I can place another order. Same for PG2.

Unless Questar decides to offer them, in which case I may bow out.

#75 spereira

spereira

Apollo

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 03 May 2019 - 11:51 AM

Ben!

I received the eyepiece hole plugs for my travel case today.  Thank you very much!

Frankly, I am so pleased with my case that I hadn't given the empty holes a second thought.  Thanks so much for sending those out.  You are the man, man!

smp

• Optics Patent likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics