•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What is your favorite classic "find" with pictures and details

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#26 ScottAstroNut

ScottAstroNut

Viking 1

• Loc: Winterport, Maine

Posted 03 January 2019 - 10:04 AM

My favorite is the 4" f/15 Edmund Scientific refractor that I recently purchased from Dave Trott. As an Edmund collector, I have quite a few Edmund reflectors, from the 50's to the 80's, but I could never snag an Edmund refractor. When one would come up for sale I would either not have the funds at the time or I was too slow in making an offer. This time I lucked out. This is a 1976 model, with a unique slow motion tangent on the declination axis. Everything is in very good condition, and the scope works great. Not only that, but it has superb optics. I consider this the jewel of my collection and am not likely to let it go anytime soon!

Thanks again, Dave!

Attached Thumbnails

• Edscorp 4 Inch Refractor Pic 1.jpg
  • Edscorp 4 Inch Refractor Pic 3.jpg
  • Edscorp 4 Inch Refractor Pic 5.jpg

• tim53, clamchip, steve t and 15 others like this

#27 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• Loc: 39° 4' 19" N / 84° 28' 22" W

Posted 03 January 2019 - 10:07 AM

That’s a gorgeous example of the 4” Edmund Scott, and having purchased one of my most favorite scopes from Dave T, I know you went to the right place. Wow! It’s primo!! Congratulations.waytogo.gif waytogo.gif

• steve t, Steve Allison and shredder1656 like this

#28 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 03 January 2019 - 11:52 AM

In continuing to thin the herd and reduce redundancy, I had toyed with the idea of selling my Questar because, as I noted in the previous post. Its images were very close to those of the FC76, but in other respects it is a very different sort of specimen, and my only Mak. So on really mulling over that prospect, I just couldn’t bring myself to do it. The Q will remain both longterm member and crown jewel in my collection. And in my old age it will no doubt advance to position of MVP as well. Instead, I’ve decided to let my little 1977 OT C5 to go. It’s a minty, complete little time capsule of a scope that’s not that much bigger than the Q in aperture, but considerably more in bulk and weight. I would have not considered letting the C5 go when I didn’t have a C8 but that changed early last year when I got that terrific deal, and I have become quite attached to it (the 8). Now my 1977 OT C8 will carry the Celestron SCT banner in my collection and also occupy the position of largest aperture scope. The C5 will go up in the Classifieds soon.

Good choice.  My little Q is the most comfortable cool little telescope I have and I spent over 2 hours with it the other night.  Quickly set the fork to 90 degrees, centered Polaris in the finder, set the RA circle on Gamma Aries, and spent the next couple of hours working through the Cambridge Double Star Atlas, set the RA and Dec to read the target, flip to the finder, center the star, and back to main optics and barlow as needed.  

Also spent time on the Messier open clusters in Auriga and Gemini, some of the brighter NGC in Monoceros, plus M42.  I happily found that I can just squeeze all 7 sisters of the Pleiades in the field of my 32mm Circle NJ Tele Vue Plossl with it.  For tracking I velcro-ed a Nexgadget lithium jump start pack with built in AC inverter to the leg of my Davis and Sanford model A tripod, just above the horizontal brace, so no extension cord to get in the way, either.

I would say the C5 has more reach than the Q, especially for resolving the brighter Messier globulars but is less comfortable to use, and can't work in equatorial mode on a one handed carry tripod.  My 1976 is a dense little unit, but I'd likely keep it over my 1975 C8 if I had to choose since the C8 takes a long time to cool down a lot of nights, even here in San Diego, whereas the C5 is much more immediate.  And the C8 is bracketed on the upper end by my C10 which is a really nice scope to use but a "brick-schmidthouse" to carry out (67 pounds for tube and forks and they don't separate the way the C11 and C14 did)

Dave

But I like them all.

• steve t, terraclarke, rcwolpert and 5 others like this

#29 tim53

tim53

Voyager 1

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 03 January 2019 - 12:20 PM

I can't even use this yet, because the original speculum secondary was replace in days of yore with a second surface flat mirror for static display, and the "eyepiece" is just a pinhole collimation eyepiece, but it's still one of my all-time favorite classic acquisitions.  Not the least of which is because it's almost 250 years old.

Watkins and Smith brass-tube Gregorian ca ~1760, with ivory focus knob (I've never seen one before), and flamboyant engraving on the back:  "Watkins & .Smith, Charing Cross, London"

-Tim.

post-6788-0-17448000-1483827227.jpgpost-6788-0-41812300-1483826415.jpg

• ScottAstroNut, clamchip, steve t and 11 others like this

#30 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT

Posted 04 January 2019 - 08:01 AM

Mine's my mid-60's Swift 831.  I found it on Craigslist, the seller was a construction worker who rescued it from a basement cleanout prior to a rehab, did some quick research, and posted it. 

It was battered, dents and scratches on the scope and tripod, water damage on the tripod ends, internal crack in the objective, clams in the finder, broken-off focuser shaft, and dirty, really dirty.  Seller wanted $100, I talked him down to $80, a friend who lived nearby picked it up for me and held it until I got into town.

Significant repair and restoration ensued.....which eventually involved buying a second 'parts-grade' 831, which supplied it with undamaged glass, and offered many parts at a good price to others.

It now has a Vixen 1.25 tailpiece installed (painted Swift brown) so I use it with a set of Ultrascopic EP's, and it is quite a fine performer!

DSCN0748.JPG

• Pete W, deepwoods1, Dave Trott and 9 others like this

#31 Jim Curry

Jim Curry

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: STL

Posted 04 January 2019 - 09:18 AM

Here's my Model 155c Unitron.  Purchased from an estate a few years ago.  Completely mint, not a scratch on OTA or mount.  Great views.  Nothing like an f/15 scope.  Alas, too little use and I'm considering parting with it.

4in Uni small.jpg

4inunismall.jpg

• ScottAstroNut, steve t, deepwoods1 and 12 others like this

#32 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT

Posted 04 January 2019 - 09:25 AM

That's a fine scope, Jim!  Sad that the big guns start to not be used so much when the effort of setup gets bigger as our bodies age, and lifting 40 pounds over our head gets more challenging....

• terraclarke, Piggyback and shredder1656 like this

#33 Jim Curry

Jim Curry

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: STL

Posted 04 January 2019 - 03:59 PM

Hey Roscoe

Don't put me in the too old to handle 40# classsmile.gif

This one isn't any more of a challenge than my other scopes where I set up my G11.

And, I don't lift heavy scopes up, I stand them up next to the mount.  I taught myself that with my 6" f/12.  Lifting is for fools. Present company exceptedlol.gif

Jim

Edited by Jim Curry, 04 January 2019 - 04:00 PM.

• roscoe and jcruse64 like this

#34 hasebergen

hasebergen

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Stuttgart, Europe

Posted 10 January 2019 - 04:01 AM

Definitely my 108/1600mm SYW/Yamamoto (branded "Max") - purchased last year. But I exchanged the tripod with a stand made of steel (last week, so today I´ve no actual pics!) for reducing the dangling

Attached Thumbnails

• yamamoto108160012.JPG
  • yamamoto108160019.JPG
  • yamamoto108160020.JPG
  • yamamoto108160021.JPG

• davidmcgo, Jim Curry, CharlieB and 13 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics