•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sears on the way out

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 grif 678

grif 678

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: NC

Posted 29 December 2018 - 09:20 AM

Heard the other day on the news that Sears is on the way out, really sad news, I bought many things from that company years ago. I would think that if you own one of the vintage 76mm or the 90mm refractors from the late 60's or the early 70's, it just got more valuable? Maybe not, since they have not sold any scope like that for years. Just a thought, but it is sad to see such a big part of out country's history vanishing like this. I will always remember opening the wooden box containing my 76mm refractor back in 1971, I thought I really had something. Wish I still had it, because I really DID have something more valuable than I realized back then.

• BarabinoSr, PXR-5, okiestarman56 and 9 others like this

#2 okiestarman56

okiestarman56

Viking 1

• Loc: 36.40'10.30"N 96.20'04.90" W

Posted 29 December 2018 - 09:38 AM

Online shopping is killing a lot of stores.

• TOM KIEHL likes this

#3 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 29 December 2018 - 09:39 AM

They left Canada some time ago.  Sign of the times I guess.

#4 Richard O'Neill

Richard O'Neill

Vanguard

Posted 29 December 2018 - 09:43 AM

Their overhead is simply too expensive.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#5 shredder1656

shredder1656

Apollo

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 29 December 2018 - 09:47 AM

I agree Billy.  Very sad to see the store go.  

I missed two Sears 6339s locally.  One sold for $50 within a 45 minute drive of me.  I skipped a day of looking at FB marketplace and it was gone almost immediately after being posted.  Big bummer.  

I missed another immaculate one owner scope due to procrastination.  It was priced much higher, around $250, but it was a time capsule.  I think it dropped to $200ish, and someone scooped it up.  Good for them.  

The convenience of the internet is great, but nothing like the experience of going into the brick and mortar stores I grew up with.  Progress has unintended consequences for sure.  

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#6 bikerdib

bikerdib

Viking 1

• Loc: Southeast Texas

Posted 29 December 2018 - 10:11 AM

Sad.

I still have my 60mm complete but no box.  I have a GEM mount I use it on for grab and go but have the original Alt/Az mount too.  I also have a hybrid .965 to 1.25 diagonal so I can use my Plossels with it.

Sears was the place to go at one time.  Buy your bouse kit, the tools to build it and everything to go inside it too.

IMO, part of the reason is that people have become sheep.  They have to do the trendy thing and Sears is considered the old people's store.

Edited by bikerdib, 29 December 2018 - 10:13 AM.

• steve t, shredder1656 and agmoonsolns like this

#7 shredder1656

shredder1656

Apollo

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 29 December 2018 - 10:17 AM

bikerdib, funny you mentioned the Sears "house kit".  The house my folks bought right after I graduated h.s. in 1990 was a Sears and Roebuck house, if I am not mistaken.  I know it was some sort of kit house, and I am 90% sure it was definitely Sears and Roebuck.  It was a very well-built house with nice finish and hardwood flooring.  My folks remodeled it, but kept much of it close to period correct, which I believe was the '40s.  

Just like the appliances, and other things sold by Sears and stores like them, they were built to last.  

• steve t and Bomber Bob like this

#8 petert913

petert913

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 29 December 2018 - 10:21 AM

Who's gonna fix my Kenmore appliances ??

• Exnihilo, Augustus, wrnchhead and 1 other like this

#9 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Viking 1

• Loc: NE Kansas

Posted 29 December 2018 - 10:25 AM

As an auto technician, I have some broken Craftsman tools, and nowhere to go with them now that our local store closed down. 

But my Sears experience doesn't have the fondness of others here. The employees were rude, I was sure they did not care. My Kenmore stove with smoked circuit board got replaced by something else along the way. 

• Augustus likes this

#10 Ansu

Ansu

Explorer 1

• Loc: Ashtabula, Ohio

Posted 29 December 2018 - 10:31 AM

We had two stores within ½ hr or driving distance closed in last 5 years or so. While back we used to shop in there but for last 10 years or so the quality control got really bad except for nail & hammer. I almost returned all of the items that were little sophisticated such as air compressor, pressure washer, leaf blower, trimmer to name a few. They broke on day one or within a week or missing serviceable parts. Sales offered me to place an order for the serviceable part at an additional cost or return and I chose the latter. Ever since I don’t  regret at all even though and still is an American Icon. Miss-management at corporate  level, laid back attitude and corporate greed killed the company.

• Karl Fabian and Kasmos like this

#11 krahling

krahling

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Central Ohio, USA

Posted 29 December 2018 - 10:52 AM

I remember looking at the telescopes in the catalogs as a kid.  I ended up buying a Criterion RV-6 as my first scope, but remember the happy people posing with the scopes.  

• steve t and Bonco2 like this

#12 Knasal

Knasal

Apollo

• Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 29 December 2018 - 10:54 AM

We had two stores within ½ hr or driving distance closed in last 5 years or so. While back we used to shop in there but for last 10 years or so the quality control got really bad except for nail & hammer. I almost returned all of the items that were little sophisticated such as air compressor, pressure washer, leaf blower, trimmer to name a few. They broke on day one or within a week or missing serviceable parts. Sales offered me to place an order for the serviceable part at an additional cost or return and I chose the latter. Ever since I don’t  regret at all even though and still is an American Icon. Miss-management at corporate  level, laid back attitude and corporate greed killed the company.

^^ that ^^

Sad as it is.

#13 DLuders

DLuders

Gemini

• Loc: Spokane, WA

Posted 29 December 2018 - 11:22 AM

"Sears wins reprieve from liquidation as Chairman Lampert makes last-minute $4.4 billion bid on bankrupt company" -- 

https://www.cnbc.com...or-company.html

Can anybody out there scrape up enough $$ to top that?   wink.gif 

• Exnihilo likes this

#14 clamchip

clamchip

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 29 December 2018 - 11:31 AM

Its really sad, Sears is where I buy all my clothesfrown.gif

Lots of memories starting about 1970 when I was 13. Live mannequins! one winked at me! 

Sears was a high class joint like Fredrick & Nelsons, a candy counter and a

place to dump the kids while you shop.

I lived breathed ate slept dreamed space and astronomy at the time but I didn't see any

astronomical telescopes in our store, the largest Sears west of the Mississippi at that time.

Certainly didn't see the flagship 90mm 6345 ether. They must have been catalog only.

I still go to the Sears parking lot and meet people, and I look in the windows, and there 

is nothing, just carpet and tile and the turned off escalators. A few lights are on probably

for security.

Robert

• steve t, TOM KIEHL and silodweller like this

#15 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 29 December 2018 - 01:07 PM

Lots of memories starting about 1970 when I was 13. Live mannequins! one winked at me! 

Robert

Now I can fully understand your affections for Nurse Mendy , Frenchie , Cave Girl , Oh and I know I've forgot a few others . lol.gif waytogo.gif 

• clamchip and steve t like this

#16 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 29 December 2018 - 01:24 PM

I think Sears has been suffering for quite some time . First it was K-Mart,  then Walmart and now .  On line. 

Several years ago , after a region wide power outage , we needed a new refrigerator.  Our first stop was Sears.  30% off on Sunday . Looking at the prices,  they were actually competitive with the 30% off. 

Plenty of sales personal talking to each other ,  not one bothered to come ask if we needed help , they probably noticed we were in the "affordable section ." Probably on commission. 

I finally asked one them about the 30% off . "Oh,  that's every day , it's already included in the sticker price. "

Next stop: Home Depot . Helpful people , interested in selling a frig and knew the discounts and deals .  We walked out with a new refrigerator for significantly less total than the sticker price and far less than what Sears wanted. 

It's not the store it was when i was a kid .

The big question: This clearly makes those old refractors obsolete . Where's  everyone going to get their parts ? smile.gif

Jon

• ltha and jcruse64 like this

#17 DS-16A

DS-16A

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: NE Illinois

Posted 29 December 2018 - 02:03 PM

As an auto technician, I have some broken Craftsman tools, and nowhere to go with them now that our local store closed down. 

But my Sears experience doesn't have the fondness of others here. The employees were rude, I was sure they did not care. My Kenmore stove with smoked circuit board got replaced by something else along the way. 

I believe Ace Hardware and Lowes now carries Craftsmen tools, and you may be able to exchange them there, if these stores are close to you. I think Stanley bought the Craftsmen line. 

• Jon Isaacs, TSSClay, DMala and 1 other like this

#18 grif 678

grif 678

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 29 December 2018 - 02:08 PM

The telescopes were mail order in all stores I think,but it took only about a day or two for it to come in. Lawn mowers were once very good quality at Sears also. '

I could not wait until Christmas to get the big Christmas wish book, it had telescopes in two different sections, the real scopes, and then the scopes in the toy section. I think some of the toy scopes were very good except for the mounts. I remember seeing some telescopes in a Montgomery Ward catalog also, although I rarely got to see a Montgomery Ward catalog. There is a very good looking Montgomery Ward 60mm refractor on ebay now, orange in color. That would be a good collector item, it looks like hardly used.

• terraclarke and TOM KIEHL like this

#19 Tenacious

Tenacious

Viking 1

• Loc: Northern KY

Posted 29 December 2018 - 03:34 PM

When I was 4 years old, I was certain that the real name was "Sears & Robots".   My folks were confused or simply couldn't pronounce it properly. 

• Jon Isaacs, terraclarke, Bonco2 and 1 other like this

#20 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 29 December 2018 - 04:42 PM

When I was 4 years old, I was certain that the real name was "Sears & Robots".   My folks were confused or simply couldn't pronounce it properly. 

Sorta like " Monkey Wards " lol.gif

• Wylekiote likes this

#21 grif 678

grif 678

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 29 December 2018 - 08:42 PM

You never know where you will find a telescope. I went into a Western Auto store back in the mid 60's, and found a telescope in there of all places.It was a metal reflector, about 14 inches long, mirror probably no more than 2 1/2 inches, and I do not know about the eyepiece . But I first saw Saturn through that scope, actually the first thing I saw through it, hooked ever since. Never seen one in a Western Auto store since, and we have one about 5 miles from us in a small town called Wendell.

• terraclarke, TOM KIEHL, Defenderslideguitar and 1 other like this

#22 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Apollo

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 30 December 2018 - 01:48 PM

Sears   hey the book of stuff that came in the mail

Sears    the craftsman tools were very high quality and lifetime warrantee

Sears great push and walk behind mowers that always started but their ride ons and tractors were lousy

#23 mich_al

mich_al

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 30 December 2018 - 03:07 PM

Online shopping is killing a lot of stores.

IMO that is NOT what killed Sears !  Over the years I've done a lot of business with Sears AND watched as both their quality and service, in and out of store, has steadily gone down and further down.  Craftsman is now junk, Kenmore is junk.  Go / Stay, I don't care, I've been done with Sears for some time now.  Yet another American business story of 'Cost reduced until it's a POS'.  Good riddance.

Edited by mich_al, 30 December 2018 - 03:09 PM.

• erin likes this

#24 clamchip

clamchip

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 30 December 2018 - 09:19 PM

I just had a horrible thought, with Sears closing up I won't be able to order parts for my riding mower.

Fortunately though Sears didn't make the thing, Sears didn't make anything, but Sears had a very good

parts ordering system.

My mower I think is a Murray, yes cheap and crappy but when it breaks I can get parts quick because it's

a Craftsman.

I also have a John Deere, it's a much finer machine but parts are expensive. And parts are castings so 

if I make a booboo the JD will break, and the Craftsman with it's stamped out parts will bend. So I can

just bend them back again.

Robert

#25 Nuttn

Nuttn

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 30 December 2018 - 09:40 PM

Sears didn't give me a telescope, but back in the day, most everything for the farm.

Perhaps the most valuable item was the expert advice and customer service.

Later both of these appeared to go down the drain of corporate greed, together with the quality and choice of merchandise.

So, having visited a Sears in the last week, to pick over the bones, I felt not sad, as in visiting the dying, but reassured that the soul was indeed already long departed.

Mr Lampert needs to breathe life into the soul, never mind the $4.4bn in the hole, if his plan has any chance whatsoever.

The remains need to be buried decently, instead.

• Karl Fabian and terraclarke like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics