•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sears on the way out

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#51 clamchip

clamchip

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 02 January 2019 - 04:42 PM

Whitefrontbawling.gif had the best corn dogs RIP

Whitefront came before Sears in my neighborhood around 1969 I was 12 the parking lot was

so big you could see the curvature of the Earth, so was/is the Sears parking lot across the street.

The Whitefront store became Fred Meyer and still exists, but that huge parking lot is now full of

misc. stores.

The Sears store is going to be demolished to make room for something else soonfrown.gif

Robert

Edited by clamchip, 02 January 2019 - 04:44 PM.

#52 Pete W

Pete W

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hutto, TX

Posted 02 January 2019 - 05:22 PM

In western PA as a kid we had Service Merchandise (Where my parents got my first scope!), Gold Circle (now a giant beer distributor), C.G. Murphy's (where I bought my baseball cards), Zayre, Hill's, Kresge's, and Horne's (where I got my golden guides on the Stars, Reptiles & Amphibians, etc.), not to mention Kaufmann's and Gimbel's.   IIRC, many of these carried telescopes in their inventory.  All gone.  

I wonder if today's kids will nostalgically reminisce about all the cool stuff they bought at Target and Walmart!

• terraclarke and Scott123 like this

#53 clamchip

clamchip

Cosmos

Posted 02 January 2019 - 06:08 PM

I'll never forget Fredrick & Nelson:

http://www.historylink.org/File/2939

what a posh place, everything first class. The Seattle store was a palace and the Bellevue store

out where we lived kinda in the country back then was obviously for the upper crust.

We would go there to buy a super nice something for a gift like a tie for dad or some nice gloves

for mom.

Robert

• Pete W, terraclarke and agmoonsolns like this

#54 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Viking 1

• Loc: Puget Sound

Posted 02 January 2019 - 06:14 PM

Yes! Frango Mints and Frango ice cream at Fredrick & Nelson. Didn't another company license the rights to the mints and still sells them? They did for a while, but that was many years ago. I grew up with visits to this wonderful old store in Seattle, what an amazing place!

I'll never forget Fredrick & Nelson:

http://www.historylink.org/File/2939

what a posh place, everything first class. The Seattle store was a palace and the Bellevue store

out where we lived kinda in the country back then was obviously for the upper crust.

We would go there to buy a super nice something for a gift like a tie for dad or some nice gloves

for mom.

Robert

• clamchip likes this

#55 clamchip

clamchip

Cosmos

Posted 02 January 2019 - 06:42 PM

Oh yes! I forgot about Frango Mints.

I think Macy's bought the rights and produced the mints and may still.

Robert

#56 clamchip

clamchip

Cosmos

Posted 02 January 2019 - 08:18 PM

I did a bunch of digging for a Frederick & Nelson telescope and came up empty.

One of my favorite Sears telescopes I've owned has been this early 1960's Tower I

still own it:

https://www.cloudyni...?hl=sears tower

Robert

• sgorton99 likes this

#57 Kasmos

Kasmos

Surveyor 1

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:30 PM

Growing up our family went to Sears fairly often but I can't remember what for?  As kids it was OK, but as young teens growing up in So Cal, Sears was thought to be a bit uncool. Most of our clothes were from JC Penny which arguably wasn't any better, but Towncraft pocket T's were still cool. 

Later as a young adult I only bought tools and sometimes Levis. My first washer and dryer was a new/used Kenmore set from a divorced couple that lasted 20 years with each only needing a couple of small repairs that I did myself.  

The sales people in our local store were usually sleazy or pushy. Especially in TV's and Appliances.

The last time I bought a tool was probably more then years ago. If we all bought more they'd still hang on, but I suspect we all slowed down due to lower quality, other options, and bad experiences.

Things change and since I never bought much from them, I really won't miss them at all.

#58 grif 678

grif 678

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: NC

Posted 11 January 2019 - 06:13 PM

My first telescope was a Sears 4” refractor.

Did Sears make one of those, the 76mm was the largest I ever saw in the catalogs, do you have a picture

#59 Steve Allison

Steve Allison

Viking 1

• Loc: Olympia, Wash. 98502

Posted 11 January 2019 - 06:39 PM

Did Sears make one of those, the 76mm was the largest I ever saw in the catalogs, do you have a picture

I don't believe they ever sold a 4 inch refractor, but they did sell a 90mm refractor, one of which I own.

It has a model number of 6345 and is F/15.6. It is a wonderful telescope, both to look through and to look at.

There have been numerous threads regarding this model on Cloudy Nights over the years.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#60 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 11 January 2019 - 06:44 PM

I never saw a 4" from Sears. Everyday they are saved, then the next they are pulling the plug.  I know the Sears by me has been dead since i moved here from Tampa.

#61 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Voyager 1

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 11 January 2019 - 06:57 PM

My Precious -- 1964 Sears Model 6336 Professional-type Portable Observatory

P12 - Full Left Side CN1.jpg

IF Sears does go the way of Monkey-Ward, maybe it'll be doubly Classic?  

As Chris posted, as teenagers, us hillbillies never bought clothes at "uncool" Sears -- JCP only!  But 1000s of us probably got our first scope thanks to this company -- a mail order catalog in my case...

Edited by Bomber Bob, 11 January 2019 - 07:03 PM.

• Kokatha man, terraclarke, Kasmos and 1 other like this

#62 Steve Allison

Steve Allison

Viking 1

• Loc: Olympia, Wash. 98502

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:47 PM

Wonderful looking telescope, Bomber Bob!

Looks like it should be in a small observatory and always ready for use.

I always thought John Mallas had a beautiful set-up, with his pier-mounted mounted Unitron 4 inch refractor in his small observatory.

No aperture fever, no obsession to have the "latest and greatest".

Just using his quality, moderately sized telescope in the fashion for which it was intended, year after year and with great success and apparent enjoyment.

Steve

• Bomber Bob likes this

#63 PXR-5

PXR-5

Hubble

• Loc: UNION COUNTY, NC

Posted 12 January 2019 - 03:45 PM

I remember looking through my Sears 80mm with those cool green corduroy pants...

#64 akman1955

akman1955

Skylab

• Loc: Alaska

Posted 12 January 2019 - 04:19 PM

I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Sears. When I was a kid, I looked forward so much for the arrival of the Christmas catalog in eary October just before my birthday. I would rush home from school every day to see if it had come in the mail. Then when I was a teenager, and into my first years of college I worked at Sears part-time. It was my first real job after baby-stting, pet-sitting, and lawn watering. It makes me sad to see it as yet one more American institution gone forever! Life is NOT what it used to be. frown.gif

Terra My mom and I worked at JC Penney's from 1967 thru 80's. I saw same decline from a full line store. They sold everything here in Fairbanks and were king of the hill.smile.gif But left here in 1995. Sears was only a catalog store here till mid 80's and now we are one of the full line stores that will be closed. I miss the catalogs especially the Christmas ones:) Still have JC Penney's reel to reels and turntables from the 70's plus 45's and some s&w revolvers. They sold everything (JCP)here as they had a captured market:) I miss those times:( I only truly saw FULL line sears in lower 48.. Sears missed out here when they should have built full line store in 60's.. then the pipe line era began. boom time here.

Edited by akman1955, 12 January 2019 - 04:32 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics