•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

10" Starliner

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#1 paulabuls

paulabuls

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 December 2018 - 08:53 PM

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and new to telescopes (though it has been something I have followed and longed for since I was a child). Recently my wife and I took a trip to Big Bend. While we were there I was able to use binoculars and see several things including Comet Wirtanen. I also downloaded a star finder app and was able to watch the ISS and the Hubble zip across the sky. Seeing the Orion nebula really got me thinking about telescopes, doing some research, reading some books and keeping an eye out on Craigslist.

So, fast forward. A listing came up for a telescope...

https://austin.craig...6782935680.html

Well, I'm the person who grabbed it. It appears to have belonged to a gentleman here in Austin who was very prominent in the local astronomy scene. He was for some time the editor of the newsletter for the Austin Astronomical Society and took it to many star parties and did a lot of outreach with it. He died suddenly of a heart attack in 2005. His daughter rescued it after his death and has held onto it thinking that someday she would get it going. Finally she realized it was time to pass it on. I hope to get it up and running in spite of there being some obvious missing parts to the mount.

So, first off. I have always wanted to have a telescope but it was only recently that I decided it was time for me to get off my derriere or it'd never happen. I've done a fair amount of research but still have much to learn.

Someone identified this as a star-liner. That helps as there is nothing that I have found yet on it that identifies it. (I haven't done anything with it yet, I picked it up, unloaded it at my house and then had to get back to work).

If anyone can give me additional information about this model, I'd really appreciate it. I don't know if it will be possible to restore the mount and I may end up putting it on a dobsonian mount while I'm figuring out the viability of restoring this one. I also plan on joining the Austin Astronomical Society as I imagine there will be people there familiar with this particular telescope.

I really loved meeting his daughter and hearing her stories about her dad. I hope to be able to be able to honor the legacy of the man who owned this.

• Mr Magoo, terraclarke, TSSClay and 2 others like this

#2 paulabuls

paulabuls

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 December 2018 - 08:57 PM

Several people have already offered some great tips and ideas and I am pretty sure I will be able to restore the mount in spite of it missing some significant pieces. I'll be posting detailed pictures and measurements in the next couple of days. I'm hoping that with a little help on this forum to get this puppy up and running in relatively short order.

Thanks in advance,

Paula

#3 clusterbuster

clusterbuster

Viking 1

• Loc: Tampa Bay, Fl.

Posted 31 December 2018 - 09:03 PM

Awesome, very cool.

Mark

#4 Chevy5759

Chevy5759

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Elgin, Texas

Posted 31 December 2018 - 09:13 PM

Looks like a great find! 

Close to you. I’m in Elgin. Hope to see it up and running soon!

#5 clamchip

clamchip

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 31 December 2018 - 09:15 PM

Here's a 1972 Star-Liner catalog:

https://web.archive....ar-liner/SL.pdf

I have a 2 inch shaft mount, if I can help with any dimensions or anything

please let me know!

Robert  

• TOM KIEHL and Mountaineer370 like this

#6 Mountaineer370

Mountaineer370

Viking 1

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 31 December 2018 - 09:18 PM

Welcome to Cloudy Nights, Paula, and congratulations on your find!  Since you say you're brand-new to telescopes and don't have a lot of information about the one you just bought, you might start by reading previous threads on the Star-Liner right here on CN.  Doing a Google search for "Star-Liner telescope" on cloudynights.com brings up a whole list of threads that you might find helpful and interesting:

https://www.google.c...iw=1024&bih=605

Edited to correct "Starliner" to "Star-Liner." wink.png

Edited by Mountaineer370, 31 December 2018 - 09:24 PM.

#7 paulabuls

paulabuls

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 December 2018 - 10:22 PM

Here's a 1972 Star-Liner catalog:

https://web.archive....ar-liner/SL.pdf

I have a 2 inch shaft mount, if I can help with any dimensions or anything

please let me know!

Robert  

Wow! That's some interesting reading. Thanks for posting it. This one looks to be one of the 1.75 inch shafts. It's definitely missing the shaft and counterweights etc. It's missing the base and the aforementioned shaft and counterweights. Other things that appear to be amiss are it's missing the drive gear for the drive motor. 

#8 paulabuls

paulabuls

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 December 2018 - 10:23 PM

Welcome to Cloudy Nights, Paula, and congratulations on your find!  Since you say you're brand-new to telescopes and don't have a lot of information about the one you just bought, you might start by reading previous threads on the Star-Liner right here on CN.  Doing a Google search for "Star-Liner telescope" on cloudynights.com brings up a whole list of threads that you might find helpful and interesting:

https://www.google.c...iw=1024&bih=605

Edited to correct "Starliner" to "Star-Liner." wink.png

Yep. Some pretty interesting reading. Looks like people are all over there place regarding the Star-Liners. Love or Hate.

#9 paulabuls

paulabuls

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 December 2018 - 10:25 PM

Looks like a great find! 

Close to you. I’m in Elgin. Hope to see it up and running soon!

Thanks!

#10 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

• Loc: Willis, TX

Posted 01 January 2019 - 08:27 AM

I detailed pic of the drive would be helpful.  We may be able to identify its origin.  As for the motor working, are you certain it does not work?  It will be a slow rotation speed.  If the worm gear is missing, hopefully the drive can be identified as something currently available.

The ad mentioned that the counterweights came with it.  If they did not, you may want to contract the seller and see if they were forgotten.  The rest should be a fair bit simpler to deal with.

#11 Compressorguy

Compressorguy

Vanguard

• Loc: Clayton, NC

Posted 01 January 2019 - 09:10 AM

Congrats on your find and welcome to the group. Lots of knowledgeable and willing folks here. Hope you get her up and running soon.

#12 paulabuls

paulabuls

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 January 2019 - 09:12 AM

What was in the picture is all there was. The previous owner had received this after the death of her father. She mistook the mount for the counter balance. It will need a new shaft (1.75” diameter not sure what length it will need to be).

The drive motor does run. It’s a Hurst. It’s just missing the drive pinion gear. I’ll be posting more photos as soon as I get them made. Unfortunately I do have work today so won’t be able to get a lot done.

Edited by paulabuls, 01 January 2019 - 09:14 AM.

• Geo31 likes this

#13 apfever

apfever

Aurora

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 01 January 2019 - 09:17 AM

Now is the time to start a file on the scope.  Take a screen shot of the original ad before it is deleted by the seller.  If it's gone, I took one for you.  Prodigy is a way cool part of a classic like this scope.  I usually ask sellers to write anything they would like about a family scope, if they want to, no pressure one way or the other, their option to do so.  I've received everything from "ahhhh it's just time to let it go"  to a page and then some. 
Be careful about back tracking though. You don't want some one concerned that they might be getting ongoing contact. 

" I’ll be posting more photos as soon as I get them made. Unfortunately I do have work today so won’t be able to get a lot done."

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't worry about your progress rate. Don't worry about any expectations or exuberance from those in this forum. It's YOUR deal, it's a cool one. This forum is loaded with projects that stall, way cool projects that fade off, some then show back up years later after life and babies and mid life stuff and so on. Some projects go away, maybe sold. It's your deal, have fun.

Edited by apfever, 01 January 2019 - 09:25 AM.

#14 paulabuls

paulabuls

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 January 2019 - 09:57 AM

Now is the time to start a file on the scope.  Take a screen shot of the original ad before it is deleted by the seller.  If it's gone, I took one for you.  Prodigy is a way cool part of a classic like this scope.  I usually ask sellers to write anything they would like about a family scope, if they want to, no pressure one way or the other, their option to do so.  I've received everything from "ahhhh it's just time to let it go"  to a page and then some. 
Be careful about back tracking though. You don't want some one concerned that they might be getting ongoing contact. 

" I’ll be posting more photos as soon as I get them made. Unfortunately I do have work today so won’t be able to get a lot done."

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't worry about your progress rate. Don't worry about any expectations or exuberance from those in this forum. It's YOUR deal, it's a cool one. This forum is loaded with projects that stall, way cool projects that fade off, some then show back up years later after life and babies and mid life stuff and so on. Some projects go away, maybe sold. It's your deal, have fun.

This one does have a very cool history. Apparently the sellers father was Earl Carls. He was active in the Austin Astronomical Society (including editor of the newsletter) until his sudden death of a heart attack in 2005. I was able to find an obit for him as well as a memorial at a ranch where he volunteered. I have taken screen shots of all of those. Yes, starting a file. That's what I need to do. Again, thanks for the warm welcome.

Paula

• Geo31 likes this

#15 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• Loc: Third from the Sun

Posted 01 January 2019 - 10:17 AM

Welcome to CN Classics and congratulations on getting a fine telescope. There are plenty of folks here to answer your questions, help you locate missing parts, and advise on the restoration or dobsonian conversion, depending on how you go. You have come to the right place!

Happy New Year! :)

• TOM KIEHL likes this

#16 paulabuls

paulabuls

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 January 2019 - 10:36 AM

So, I'm trying to add photos from my Google Photos but I get an error message that states that file extension is not allowed on this community. Is that a Google Photos thing? Do I need to use a different file sharing service? I used to use Photo Bucket but they charge out the wazoo now. I'll try drop box.

#17 paulabuls

paulabuls

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 January 2019 - 11:06 AM

Here's a shot of the memorial that was set up at a ranch Earl volunteered with.

Earl Carls Memorial

More photos to come. I may have figured this out.

Cheers,

Paula

• TOM KIEHL and Geo31 like this

#18 clamchip

clamchip

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 01 January 2019 - 11:37 AM

The link I posted earlier for the Star-Liner catalog is from the wayback machine, here is

a link for the whole new classic telescope site:

https://wiki.telesco...x.php/Main_Page

and the Star-Liner catalog:

https://wiki.telesco...972_Catalog.pdf

Robert

Edited by clamchip, 01 January 2019 - 11:40 AM.

#19 paulabuls

paulabuls

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 January 2019 - 11:39 AM

The link I posted earlier for the Star-Liner catalog is from the wayback machine here is

a link for the whole new site:

https://wiki.telesco...x.php/Main_Page

Wow! Thanks for the link!

#20 paulabuls

paulabuls

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 January 2019 - 11:40 AM

OK. I hope to be adding more photos soon. Here's a photo of the Hurst drive motor cap. The motor does run but is missing the pinion gear.

Drive Motor Cap

Cheers,

Paula

• TOM KIEHL likes this

#21 paulabuls

paulabuls

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 January 2019 - 12:46 PM

Here's a couple more pictures.

View of Drive motor
Bottom of base
Bottom View of Mirror Cell

• TOM KIEHL likes this

#22 paulabuls

paulabuls

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 January 2019 - 12:54 PM

And a couple more. Also, for some reason the uploader keeps rotating my pictures and when I try to rotate them to correct, it still saves it in the incorrect rotation. Hmmm.

Drive gear
fDe5EfCOS4 IufmiTMFEfw

#23 paulabuls

paulabuls

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 January 2019 - 01:23 PM

So, just starting to think about the list of things that are missing. 

Drive motor pinion gear

Declination shaft

Counterweights

Pillar tube (Is that the correct term?) and legs

Setting Circles (?)

Eye Piece

#24 paulabuls

paulabuls

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 January 2019 - 01:24 PM

Not sure if there we're supposed to be bearings between the declination shaft and the OTA saddle.

#25 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 01 January 2019 - 01:42 PM

Here's a couple more pictures.

The third image of the primary mirror cell Does NOT look to be Star-Liner .......More like a Cave

First image typical 10" Star- liner

Second image is a 10" cave

I'll Bet It is a CAVE Mirror ! We won't know for sure till the mirror is removed from it's cell . shocked.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• CRITSER-cell-001.jpg
  • IMG_5750.jpg

Edited by TOM KIEHL, 01 January 2019 - 01:47 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics