•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

It’s a New Year friends, what scope do you have your sights on?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• topic starter
  • Loc: Third from the Sun

Posted 01 January 2019 - 01:20 PM

Happy New Year Friends. For Classiholics, a new year often brings new aspirations. What classic scope(s) are you on the lookout for this year? For me, I’ve been cleaning house and am not planning any new acquisitions. I plan on enjoying what I have now, which is now easier with fewer scopes and fewer obligations to use them. But you never know...... wink.gif

Just what do you want this year?

Attached Thumbnails

• 95268B3F-CAF6-4733-A5A0-F0330655B7CD.jpeg

• Jon Isaacs, BarabinoSr, rolo and 17 others like this

#2 Stellar1

Stellar1

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 01 January 2019 - 01:30 PM

Happy New Year!

• terraclarke likes this

#3 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Mid-South, U.S.

Posted 01 January 2019 - 01:43 PM

A most Happy New Year to you, Terra!

Year in and year out I'm always wanting a non-Towa 80mm f/15 achromat, but fat chance of my ever landing one.  I'll just have to make do with my moderne, Chinese 90mm f/10.

• terraclarke likes this

#4 starman876

starman876

Hubble

• Loc: VA

Posted 01 January 2019 - 01:51 PM

Happy New year Terra

Really do not have my sights on anything.  I buy whatever comes along that suits my fancy.  However, this year maybe a year where I start selling some of the scopes I have.   I have a few too manysmirk.gif

• terraclarke and Defenderslideguitar like this

#5 Sequimite

Sequimite

Mariner 2

• Loc: Sequim, WA

Posted 01 January 2019 - 02:05 PM

I'm done.

Unless I happen upon a great scope for crazy low money in which case I would have no choice but to buy it. Aside from watching the ads for miscellaneous items I have a good friend who regularly buys entire estates who will call if he comes across anything astronomy related.

So... chances are I'll buy a scope before the year is out because one I want but can't afford will fall into my lap. 

My big thing this year that I'm planning will be an astronomy shed in my field.

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#6 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 01 January 2019 - 02:08 PM

A most Happy New Year to you, Terra!

Year in and year out I'm always wanting a non-Towa 80mm f/15 achromat, but fat chance of my ever landing one.  I'll just have to make do with my moderne, Chinese 90mm f/10.

Alan, keep your eye out for a Sears model 6344. They were made ~1969-73 by SYW and are a pretty light and dark teal color combination, 76mm x 1200mm scope. Sort of a sleeper, they come up kind of regularly for very reasonable prices (~$250-$300) and are really nice scopes. Optically, they are very good. I gave one to my daughter with the proviso that it remain in the family. You would not be disappointed to have one.
  • Exnihilo, rcwolpert, Sky Muse and 2 others like this

#7 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Voyager 1

• Loc: The Deep South, USA

Posted 01 January 2019 - 02:19 PM

Happy New Year to All Y'll Classic Scope Nutz!!

No plans to buy in 2019.  Gonna continue to whittle down the herd, but that's gonna get tougher.  However, can't rule out an Oddball popping up...

• terraclarke and telesonic like this

#8 clamchip

clamchip

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 02 January 2019 - 12:37 AM

I have enough telescopes. I'm not so sure about that Robert what is enough your glass is full? whell grab a nuther glass! I'll see what's already cooking

in my own kitchen like this Optical Craftsmen 8 inch I've been working on, what a sweet telescope it is and

with a little more tuning on it, it may be the perfect telescope. The perfect telescope? we all wish for the perfect telescope.

Robert

post-50896-14073262413802_thumb.jpg

Edited by clamchip, 02 January 2019 - 01:01 AM.

• rolo, Exnihilo, terraclarke and 4 others like this

#9 Piggyback

Piggyback

Viking 1

• Loc: Germany

Posted 02 January 2019 - 03:01 AM

Old and leightweight I want. An ASf-lensed Zeiss Traveller in wooden box comes to mind.

#10 Disciplus55

Disciplus55

Messenger

• Loc: East of France

Posted 02 January 2019 - 03:51 AM

Happy new year ! As I was lucky enough to find a Clavé 80/1208 lens in cell end of this year, work is in progress for an OTA of this old Classic (Clavé were not selling full refractors, only lenses in cells and accessories). Should be ready soon. It will for sure be redundant with my Zeiss AS80/840 though.

• Mike E. and terraclarke like this

#11 Paul Sweeney

Paul Sweeney

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Heidelberg, Germany

Posted 02 January 2019 - 06:33 AM

Hi Terra,

I noticed that you have a Telementor 63/840. It just so happens that one is up for sale near where I live, so I am gunning for that this year. It comes with a mount, occular revolver and eyepieces. What do you think of of these little scopes? Any input would be appreciated.

• terraclarke and Defenderslideguitar like this

#12 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• Loc: GA

Posted 02 January 2019 - 08:04 AM

Don't have my sights on anything right now but you never know!smile.gif

• rcwolpert and Defenderslideguitar like this

#13 jcricket

jcricket

Ranger 4

• Loc: Denver Area

Posted 02 January 2019 - 08:30 AM

My current heard

cave 8" f/4.5

cave 6" f/8

6"f/5 newt - home built but  excellent - my favorite right now.

d&g 5" f/12

I am trying to get smaller scopes. I would love to find a nice brass refractor in the 3-4" range. 

#14 bremms

bremms

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: SC

Posted 02 January 2019 - 08:45 AM

Get my 8" Tinsley back from OWL and build my 14.5" F5.5.  Do more outreach!!! Honestly, I'd just like a few clear nights.

• wfj likes this

#15 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators

Posted 02 January 2019 - 09:41 AM

My sights are set on continuing to sell them off, and actually reclaim an entire room this year.  I about have my "end game" list done, the absolute keepers, and that leaves at least 50 to move along still.  Glad most are small!

I have nothing in my sights at all right now, and not planning on looking anytime soon.  If shipping rates continue to climb, there may be a few of them showing up in the giveaway thread.  The local elementary school may get a few this year if they have a competent science teacher with some astronomy knowledge.

• Jon Isaacs, Vesper818, rcwolpert and 6 others like this

#16 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 02 January 2019 - 10:18 AM

Hi Terra,

I noticed that you have a Telementor 63/840. It just so happens that one is up for sale near where I live, so I am gunning for that this year. It comes with a mount, occular revolver and eyepieces. What do you think of of these little scopes? Any input would be appreciated.

They are superb longish achromats, both optically and mechanically! I have no plans in parting with my T1. I would strongly recommend you consider purchasing the one near you.

Attached Thumbnails

• 4946E618-2FD9-4730-B9E4-A7B8A32ACEE4.jpeg

• Exnihilo, Bomber Bob, Augustus and 2 others like this

#17 Pete W

Pete W

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hutto, TX

Posted 02 January 2019 - 10:45 AM

No acquisition plans for 2019 - already have more scopes than I can use -  but hope to get the Jason, Monolux & Sears refractors under dark skies to see what they can do.  So far I’m having a blast deep-sky’ing with the 60mms.  

But, if a local, cheap, orange tube C90 popped up…

• Augustus and Defenderslideguitar like this

#18 bremms

bremms

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: SC

Posted 02 January 2019 - 01:08 PM

My sights are set on continuing to sell them off, and actually reclaim an entire room this year.  I about have my "end game" list done, the absolute keepers, and that leaves at least 50 to move along still.  Glad most are small!

I have nothing in my sights at all right now, and not planning on looking anytime soon.  If shipping rates continue to climb, there may be a few of them showing up in the giveaway thread.  The local elementary school may get a few this year if they have a competent science teacher with some astronomy knowledge.

Shipping is stupid expensive. I was going to ship a C8 properly in two boxes to the northeast and the shipping was over $100 without insurance. The buyer didn't want to pay all( or hardly any) of the shipping, so it was just not worth shipping the scope.

• Exnihilo likes this

#19 Exnihilo

Exnihilo

Apollo

• Loc: Tempe, AZ

Posted 02 January 2019 - 02:12 PM

Shipping is stupid expensive. I was going to ship a C8 properly in two boxes to the northeast and the shipping was over $100 without insurance. The buyer didn't want to pay all( or hardly any) of the shipping, so it was just not worth shipping the scope.

Yeah, I would be a lot more active if shipping weren't so expensive. I'm going to let go of a SPC8 OTA, and I totally dread the shipping. Probably the only time I will do something like that.

#20 Exnihilo

Exnihilo

Apollo

• Loc: Tempe, AZ

Posted 02 January 2019 - 02:23 PM

They are superb longish achromats, both optically and mechanically! I have no plans in parting with my T1. I would strongly recommend you consider purchasing the one near you.

That's a beauty! Thanks for the pic!
  • terraclarke likes this

#21 mfalls

mfalls

Vostok 1

• Loc: Boston Mountains

Posted 02 January 2019 - 03:03 PM

Installing the 6 inch f/10 Clearview Optics mirror I purchased from you in black stove pipe mounted on this classic 1 in. shaft Parks Precision Mount: 

ParksMount.jpg

A complete and original Edmund 3 inch f/15 achromat would be hard to resist. But only after thinning the herd. 

• terraclarke, Bomber Bob and Augustus like this

#22 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Viking 1

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 02 January 2019 - 06:23 PM

Alan, keep your eye out for a Sears model 6344. They were made ~1969-73 by SYW and are a pretty light and dark teal color combination, 76mm x 1200mm scope. Sort of a sleeper, they come up kind of regularly for very reasonable prices (~$250-$300) and are really nice scopes. Optically, they are very good. I gave one to my daughter with the proviso that it remain in the family. You would not be disappointed to have one.

Hi there      well  yes  I second the Sears 6344 recommendation.  A nice looking well performing not overly expensive classic 

Here is a pic of one next to its big brother the Sears 90mm 6345  who wouldn't want the 6345 as well?

It looks great in tealgreen 

I would   replace the metal legs with nicer heavier wooden ones and keep the metal ones in the box for originality

p.s.

I actually thought I bought the 6344 last summer when a long time member Desitter seemed to be selling off some classics. He had  a nice one with motors etc. Unfortunately we reached a deal but he had difficulty finding a shipping box and other shipping  timing issues  and didnt want the money until he could get time to ship it  but then he disappeared.... it is still marked as pending BTW. I write to him once a month just to see how he is but he has not signed on since October 4th

Attached Thumbnails

• Sears90mm6345post-6664-0-26264500-1514174065.jpg
  • Sears6344set-uppost-44420-14073114662987_thumb.jpg
  • sears6344post-6664-0-41914800-1514134995.jpg

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 02 January 2019 - 06:32 PM.

• mattyfatz, Pete W, terraclarke and 5 others like this

#23 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 January 2019 - 06:58 PM

Yeah, I would be a lot more active if shipping weren't so expensive. I'm going to let go of a SPC8 OTA, and I totally dread the shipping. Probably the only time I will do something like that.

What are you guys using for shipping? Through the post office I've shipped entire 8" fork-mounted SCTs for under $150. I shipped my last C8 tube for under 50 bucks.

#24 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 02 January 2019 - 07:07 PM

Installing the 6 inch f/10 Clearview Optics mirror I purchased from you in black stove pipe mounted on this classic 1 in. shaft Parks Precision Mount: 

attachicon.gif ParksMount.jpg

A complete and original Edmund 3 inch f/15 achromat would be hard to resist. But only after thinning the herd. 

I am looking forward to seeing that project come to fruition Max, please keep us posted! waytogo.gif

#25 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Viking 1

Posted 02 January 2019 - 07:45 PM

And as for me     2018 was such a good year for me   learning. reading. buying.chatting asking questions.trying stuff out. First the four inch fluorite(s) then a few 80mm s   and a couple of craiglist rescues all good...

selling a couple  violins and a stringed instrument here and there and an 80mm so as to continue  buying classic refractors ...a banner year.

and I am not leveling off just yet................I did lament that if I kept getting distracted by these 

75-76-80mm refractors that I could not pass up that I would never squirrel away the funds to go bigger to the 120 or the much sought after 128     ......     well as they say in the music business.........stay tuned.....

Finally, quite a few responses to Terra's question mention status quo of not buying or even thinng the herd and all responses have their basis in logic      but I kind of like the responses that seem to never say never....if something comes along at the right price and strikes my fancy I'll buy it...or can't rule out an odd ball popping up.....or no plans but you never know....

I like the "keep an open mind " mindset....just saying

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 02 January 2019 - 07:47 PM.

• Pete W, terraclarke, Bomber Bob and 4 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics