•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

It’s a New Year friends, what scope do you have your sights on?

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#26 rcwolpert

rcwolpert

Vanguard

• Loc: South Hutchinson Island, Florida

Posted 02 January 2019 - 09:14 PM

Happy New Year, Terra, and to all my friends on this great forum! 

I don’t anticipate purchasing any scopes in 2019, and I’m going to try not to sell any of the 4 Classics that I still have in my possession. For 2020 I have a Q5 in my sights.

• terraclarke, Bomber Bob, Defenderslideguitar and 1 other like this

#27 rcwolpert

rcwolpert

Vanguard

• Loc: South Hutchinson Island, Florida

Posted 02 January 2019 - 09:44 PM

Just a footnote to my previous post, if I would happen to find an RV-6 of around 1964 vintage in very good condition, I could be buying a scope this year. grin.gif

• terraclarke, Bomber Bob, Defenderslideguitar and 1 other like this

#28 Mike E.

Mike E.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Moonstone Observatory

Posted 05 January 2019 - 01:08 AM

A belated Happy and Prosperous New Year to all.

I actually have my sights set on downsizing, finding new home's for two of our five telescopes; not in a hurry though.

#29 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• topic starter
  • Loc: 39° 4' 19" N / 84° 28' 22" W

Posted 05 January 2019 - 10:28 AM

A belated Happy and Prosperous New Year to all.

I actually have my sights set on downsizing, finding new home's for two of our five telescopes; not in a hurry though.

But, but....... five is such a small number! I downsized to thrice that and have been so proud of myself! lol.gif

#30 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 05 January 2019 - 10:59 AM

This might be the first year that I actually stop buying scopes.   Time to start selling scopes.   lol.gif

• terraclarke and Bomber Bob like this

#31 mattyfatz

mattyfatz

Gemini

• Loc: Boise Idaho

Posted 09 January 2019 - 09:34 PM

I’ve been wanting one of these for a while...

It’s my FIRST scope of the year... I say that because my New Years Resolution is to stop lying to myself

• telesonic likes this

#32 telesonic

telesonic

Mariner 2

• Loc: Idaho

Posted 09 January 2019 - 09:43 PM

I’ve been wanting one of these for a while...

It’s my FIRST scope of the year... I say that because my New Years Resolution is to stop lying to myself

Whoa... I am also getting one of these. The seller actually had a handful of those f/6 versions. Mine ships out tomorrow, I wonder if they will be riding over on the truck together?

What are the odds? mind=blown.

• mattyfatz likes this

#33 Vesper818

Vesper818

Astronomess

• Loc: Piccolomini Observatory

Posted 09 January 2019 - 09:53 PM

Many change in physical circumstances in 2018. So far this year, I've given away 3 scopes, and sold 1. 1 more to sell, and some atm parts I'll never utilise.
That will leave me with 3 ultralight refractors, a good range of focal lengths, and a Galilean project with a 37mm +1 diopter 1000mm fl and a couple negative lenses. All are small, and can be used on a meade 227 ta ble mount or my manon tripod.
It has been good clearing house, and today a couple of the refractor went out the door to a mom and three eager boys aged between 6-10. They had great questions and ideas, and it was wonderful to put them back into circulation.
We're talking about a neighborhood astronomy get together!
  • terraclarke and Paul Sweeney like this

#34 mattyfatz

mattyfatz

Gemini

• Loc: Boise Idaho

Posted 09 January 2019 - 11:29 PM

Whoa... I am also getting one of these. The seller actually had a handful of those f/6 versions. Mine ships out tomorrow, I wonder if they will be riding over on the truck together?

What are the odds? mind=blown.

Did you buy the F10? I almost bought both.

#35 telesonic

telesonic

Mariner 2

• Loc: Idaho

Posted 09 January 2019 - 11:51 PM

Did you buy the F10? I almost bought both.

Nope, got an f6 one also. grin.gif  (he had a few)  Like you, I had been keepin' my eyes out for one for awhile - as they don't come up for sale too often really. 

Wish I could have sprung for both, but I imagine it will be easier finding the f/10 version down the road.

Temp

Edited by telesonic, 09 January 2019 - 11:52 PM.

#36 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 10 January 2019 - 08:16 PM

My sights are set on continuing to sell them off, and actually reclaim an entire room this year.  I about have my "end game" list done, the absolute keepers, and that leaves at least 50 to move along still.  Glad most are small!

I have nothing in my sights at all right now, and not planning on looking anytime soon.  If shipping rates continue to climb, there may be a few of them showing up in the giveaway thread.  The local elementary school may get a few this year if they have a competent science teacher with some astronomy knowledge.

I have no scopes in my sights... Not exactly, before I started reading this thread, I had no scopes in my sights.  But then I started thinking about Chuck's Asahi-Pentax 60mm and then the fact that my wife and I are planning on driving to Missoula, Montana, right by Chuck there in SLC.. 

Yeah, seems like there's something in the air.

Jon

• jcruse64 likes this

#37 ltha

ltha

Viking 1

• Loc: Bend, Oregon

Posted 10 January 2019 - 08:45 PM

Hi Terra,

Happy New Year! (Though a tad late....) I am selling rather than acquiring. Long ago I promised my mentor, actually one of my mentors, Al George that I would build an observatory and use my scopes more. That is what I intend to do and I have already sold several scopes toward achieving that goal. Right now I plan to have a couple of refractors, a biggish DOB and a classic scope. Everything else will be going. Oh, but I do have feelers out in Japan for a Takahashi FC-150 and a Pentax 150 f/12.......

Al and his 15” D&G f/12:

Attached Thumbnails

• 749BBBBF-0753-49B8-AEB7-A166A4CE8EFD.jpeg

Edited by ltha, 10 January 2019 - 08:47 PM.

• clamchip, Marc-Andre, terraclarke and 4 others like this

#38 clamchip

clamchip

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 10 January 2019 - 09:37 PM

Al is a great guy.

I love going to his carpet store and just sitting and talking telescopes.

His office in the back of the store is like an extension of his living room, very cozy.

I hope he's doing well, I haven't visited in a while.

Robert

Edited by clamchip, 10 January 2019 - 09:59 PM.

#39 ltha

ltha

Viking 1

• Loc: Bend, Oregon

Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:20 PM

Hi Clamchip,

Al was unique in so many ways. I was fortunate enough to become one of his many friends and spent several nights with he and Vee at their home. Those visits included the chance to use the 15” D&G which was simply an amazing instrument. That man had forgotten more about telescopes than I will ever know. Unfortunately Al passed a couple of years back after a long struggle with diabetes. I have a picture of M31 hanging on the wall that belonged to Al. Every time I look at it I recall Al’s warmth and generosity. People like Al come only only rarely and he is deeply missed.
  • Marc-Andre, terraclarke, jcruse64 and 1 other like this

#40 clamchip

clamchip

Cosmos

Posted 10 January 2019 - 11:10 PM

I'm sorry to hear about Al .

I'm without anything to say right now but soon enough we will sit and talk telescopes again.

Robert

• Steve Allison likes this

#41 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 11 January 2019 - 06:15 AM

I am cleaning house and have no plans for anymore scopes unless something close pops up for a good deal. Any slower Newt is always on my list to jump on.

#42 sarastro

sarastro

Viking 1

Posted 11 January 2019 - 12:31 PM

Not looking for anything fancy right now just a Cometron CO-40.

Also keeping an eye out for nice .965 eyepieces.

#43 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT

Posted 11 January 2019 - 02:38 PM

I've been offered a 6" Super Space Conquerer by a fellow CN member, gotta make the drive to pick it up.

Other than that, if some above-average scope appears pretty much for free, I'll probably snag it, and likely pass it on, but I'm feeling fairly scope-full, and the SSC will pretty much round out the collection, so except for a bit more ATM stuff, I'm satisfied.

• Vesper818 and terraclarke like this

#44 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Apollo

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 11 January 2019 - 02:42 PM

Not looking for anything fancy right now just a Cometron CO-40.

Also keeping an eye out for nice .965 eyepieces.

Hey there    see my last post in Craigs ebay  etc  ad thread   there has been this orange cometron  on craigs here for so long...…………………...

#45 sarastro

sarastro

Viking 1

Posted 11 January 2019 - 03:03 PM

Hey there    see my last post in Craigs ebay  etc  ad thread   there has been this orange cometron  on craigs here for so long...…………………...

Thanks.

Seems overpriced to me. Probably why it's been listed for so long.

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#46 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Apollo

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 11 January 2019 - 05:26 PM

Thanks.

Seems overpriced to me. Probably why it's been listed for so long.

Yes  I have to agree   over the last 8 months I think I have seen that ad price drop down to as low as 40 or 45 if I remember correcctly     I do like the color

#47 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:41 PM

I'm still looking for scopes for my student loaner collection, especially classic refractors on the 60mm or short 80mm end.

The school where I teach has some Orion 100mm table top dobs, but the students were struggling to make good moon drawings, and always expressed amazement when looking through one of my better outreach scopes because the optics are so much better. A few good classic reflectors came up locally, and the kids who used them were having much better experiences. But quite a few are either in split households or locations where they have to take the scope a few blocks to see the sky, so more scopes like the RV6 are just not workable. However,  modern refractors are either too expensive, or mediocre, or have computerized mounts (and I want the students to learn to find things).

Then I found an HOC Selsi 247 locally, and had an epiphany that modest-sized classic refractors are portable, many have excellent optics, and the mounts are well made. Since then, I picked up an APL Shrine-Manon and a Unitron 114 that are both really nice, and a Tasco 12TE that's optically decent. 

So I'm on the lookout for more scopes in the Shrine-Manon size, like the Mayflower 814, 815, Atco 1252, 1253, Tasco 7TE, etc. Since these are for actual use, I can shop for bargains that are a bit cosmetically challenged or not 100% original -- as long as it's usable, optically sharp (e.g., APL, HOC, RAO objective), and has a box it fits in without too much hassle (to be transported home and back, and sometimes between homes), then it'll be in my sights.

Chip W. 

#48 Kasmos

Kasmos

Surveyor 1

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 12 January 2019 - 02:50 AM

I have more than I need but know it will be hard to resist if something unique shows up at a good price. Maybe a quality 50mm or short 60mm.

#49 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT

Posted 12 January 2019 - 01:38 PM

I'm still looking for scopes for my student loaner collection, especially classic refractors on the 60mm or short 80mm end.

Chip W. 

Chip,  What part of Mass? 

I don't have any give-aways in stock right now, but I can certainly keep a watch out for you....

#50 Disciplus55

Disciplus55

Messenger

• Loc: East of France

Posted 05 March 2019 - 02:29 AM

Happy new year ! As I was lucky enough to find a Clavé 80/1208 lens in cell end of this year, work is in progress for an OTA of this old Classic (Clavé were not selling full refractors, only lenses in cells and accessories). Should be ready soon. It will for sure be redundant with my Zeiss AS80/840 though.

It is here ! Delivered with 2 tons of clouds for the coming weeks...

Attached Thumbnails

• DA82D576-DCFB-4277-BE1A-9556F107DC00.jpeg
  • A723F272-89FC-4CD8-AB5A-A8024AEAB89E.jpeg

• Paul Hyndman, terraclarke and Bomber Bob like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics