•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Wide Field Infrared Survey Telescope (WFIRST) YouTube Video

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 03 January 2019 - 03:10 AM

Here's a nice 6-minute video, just released by my friends at Harris Corporation. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

Tom

• CharlesC, Steve Harris and MikeMiller like this

#2 CharlesC

CharlesC

Gemini

• ****-
  • Loc: Atlanta, GA

Posted 11 February 2019 - 02:41 PM

Wiki says WFIRST funding has been slowed for WEBB.  WFIRST needs a gofundme. 

https://en.wikipedia...urvey_Telescope

On February 12, 2018, development on the WFIRST mission was proposed to be terminated in the President's FY19 budget request, due to a reduction in the overall NASA astrophysics budget and higher priorities elsewhere in the agency.  In March 2018 Congress approved funding to continue making progress on WFIRST until at least September 30, 2018, in a bill stating that Congress "rejects the cancellation of scientific priorities recommended by the National Academy of Sciences decadal survey process

In testimony before Congress in July 2018, NASA administrator Jim Bridenstine proposed slowing down the development of WFIRST in order to accommodate a cost increase in the James Webb Space Telescope, which would result in decreased funding for WFIRST in 2020/2021.

#3 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 11 February 2019 - 03:56 PM

https://en.wikipedia...urvey_Telescope

On February 12, 2018, development on the WFIRST mission was proposed to be terminated in the President's FY19 budget request, due to a reduction in the overall NASA astrophysics budget and higher priorities elsewhere in the agency.  In March 2018 Congress approved funding to continue making progress on WFIRST until at least September 30, 2018, in a bill stating that Congress "rejects the cancellation of scientific priorities recommended by the National Academy of Sciences decadal survey process

In testimony before Congress in July 2018, NASA administrator Jim Bridenstine proposed slowing down the development of WFIRST in order to accommodate a cost increase in the James Webb Space Telescope, which would result in decreased funding for WFIRST in 2020/2021.

Heh... that's got me chuckling, being that we (where I worked, before retiring... now Harris) worked/working both programs, deeply-immersed. My participation in JWST involved metrologies, including coarse and fine alignment sensors and the COC null lens/suite used for cryo-vac testing. Most contractors handle multiple programs in parallel... priorities get adjusted, but the work-load most always remains stable, unless big changes occur in the over-arching priorities... influences that are external to science and technologies.    Tom

#4 Astroman007

Astroman007

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northern Ontario, Canada

Posted 11 February 2019 - 04:39 PM

Good. But not only should the JWST get most of the WFIRST's funding, it should also get all of its proposed gofundme moneys. slaphappy.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics