•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

von Kármán - Chang'e-4 touchdown + updates

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#51 John_Moore

John_Moore

Author: Craters of the Nearside Moon

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 01 August 2019 - 05:18 AM

There now exist a new impact crater on the farside of the Moon, where the DSLWP-B microsatellite was responsible. Below, possibly the last image recorded by the microsatellite at 13:24 UT, showing a view of an over-exposed Earth.

I suspect LRO will eventually do a search for the impact in future periods when it is generally over the target area.

John Moore

DSLWP B LastImage

#52 John_Moore

John_Moore

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 08 August 2019 - 05:03 AM

As of 7 August 2019, both Lander and Rover have no powered down again at end of lunar day 8. The rover is believed to have travelled some 33 metres during the period, bringing the total distance so far to date to some 271 metres. Below, a northwest view from CLEP, while the wonderful map is that from Prof. Phil Stooke.

John Moore

Day8 Ends

Map AugustbyPhilStooke

• mikerepp and CeeKay like this

#53 John_Moore

John_Moore

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 25 August 2019 - 03:30 PM

Lunar day 9 begun on Saturday 24 August, 2019 for both the Lander and Yutu 2 Rover. Top view below shows some tracks taken during Lunar day 8, while the bottom image shows some small boulders in impact craters.

John Moore

Images credit: CLEP

Tracks 8 FromLunarDayObservations

BouldersInImpactCraters

• highfnum, Tyson M and CeeKay like this

#54 John_Moore

John_Moore

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 14 September 2019 - 03:57 PM

Two track images recently released by CLEP.

Btw, roughly two weeks ago, the VNIS (Visual Near Infrared Spectrometer) instrument detected what was titled as a 'gel-like' substance in a small crater. As the  first observations weren't satisfactory, the engineers took a second view, and the two bottom images below show the result. It's been suggested that it might be just impact-melt due to a small meteorite that initially caused the crater, else, it is volcanic glass dolloped in to the crater from some other source (note, the red lines are just target, positional points to show where the melt/glass lies).  

John Moore

13Sept2019Tracks

13Sept2019TracksPart2

ImpactMelt Glass2

ImpactMelt Glass

Edited by John_Moore, 15 September 2019 - 11:15 AM.

• mikerepp and B l a k S t a r like this

#55 John_Moore

John_Moore

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 16 September 2019 - 03:02 PM

The below image shows the back-track that the Yutu-2 Rover had to make (because its initial observational data wasn't satisfactory), before finally progressing on to a second observation (mentioned above). The so-called 'gel-like' substance (impact-melt/volcanic glass) is approximately at near top of image.

Second image below: more detail on the possible, centred region

John Moore

BackUpTracksInPrrparationForTheSecondVNISlook

ImpactMelt GlassCentre

Edited by John_Moore, 16 September 2019 - 03:30 PM.

#56 BillHarris

BillHarris

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: northwest Alabama

Posted 16 September 2019 - 08:47 PM

My take is that the "gel-like substance" is meant to describe "vitreous" and it's either from volcanic or impact-melt processes.

#57 John_Moore

John_Moore

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 16 September 2019 - 11:06 PM

Bill, it really is open to interpretation! For those of us who don't know the Chinese language (Google-lized in part above), let alone the geological processes, it can sometimes be mis-leading, but your guess, as well as the China engineers' guess, is just as good/possible/plausible if applicable, I don't know flowerred.gif

John Moore

Edited by John_Moore, 16 September 2019 - 11:11 PM.

#58 John_Moore

John_Moore

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2019 - 09:14 PM

Lunar day 10 to begin 22/23 Sept 2019. Research up-to-date about it here (may require Microsoft Edge to view full content).

John Moore

#59 John_Moore

John_Moore

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 09 October 2019 - 03:32 PM

While it appears that the rover travelled very little in recent lunar days, a camera onboard took a closer look at the so-called 'gel-like substance found in a small crater.

John Moore

GlassImpact

• highfnum and B l a k S t a r like this

#60 John_Moore

John_Moore

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 05:25 AM

The images below were taken by Yutu 2 after roving some 290 metres. What's nice about the tracks in the mid-foreground, however, is how busy they get as they approached the small impact crater (on right), which contains the possible impact-glass substance.

Compare, also, the impact debris near the crater to other, similarly-sized craters nearby and in the distance, where such debris (with exception to what looks like a smaller crater off to the left of image) is missing. A sign, perhaps, that the impact crater (with the impact-glass) is certainly younger than those others nearby.

Musings about the smaller crater at left (with a pinch of salt applied): as it looks like a smaller version of the main crater at right, would it, too, contain impact-glass? Was it created at the same time as the main crater, and by the same impactor that split up before impact? Or, is it a secondary impact crater from the main primary impact crater?

John Moore

290MetreDistanceTracks And ImpactCrater Overhead

290MetreDistanceTracks And ImpactCrater

Edited by John_Moore, Yesterday, 09:03 PM.

• BeltofOrion and B l a k S t a r like this

#61 B l a k S t a r

B l a k S t a r

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted Yesterday, 03:16 PM

The most interesting photo I've seen from this endeavour, complete with storyline. 

#62 John_Moore

John_Moore

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 03:51 PM

Brian, thanks, and I love seeing the Lander in the distance, as well as Yutu 2's distant tracks. 

Is it too cheeky to suggest that the Chang-e 4 landing location, and then the Rover's rove direction was lucky to have stumbled upon such a relatively fresh-looking (though small), impact crater? I think so!

PS. Due to CN's image-upload limitations (sigh), there is a much closer view of the same here.

John Moore

Edited by John_Moore, Yesterday, 04:06 PM.

#63 B l a k S t a r

B l a k S t a r

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted Yesterday, 04:07 PM

Brian, thanks, and I love seeing the Lander in the distance, as well as Yutu 2's distant tracks.

Due to CN's image-upload limitations (sigh), there is a much closer view of the same here.

John Moore

Thanks for that link John and wow!  Must be false colour on the camera because I see patchy areas of thin rusty browns across a landscape of green when I can't say I can detect colour on the moon. Perhaps with more experience...

The lander in the background is a great tie in and the background right of that crests and shows the farther hills in a much softer or muted way. Spectacular photo really. 

#64 John_Moore

John_Moore

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 04:31 PM

Yeah, Brian, I was wondering also if such 'rusty' colourations were indeed actual.

I did, in the past, saturate such views (intensify the colours of previous Yutu 2 surface images beyond normal colour parameters that we're used to), which, in effect, intensified the lunar surface colours of track and features.

But in the end, came to the conclusion that it might just be an onboard camera calibration issue-of-sorts. But, don't quote me on that, as you could still be right on the whole surface colouration issue.

John Moore

Edited by John_Moore, Yesterday, 05:54 PM.

• B l a k S t a r likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics