•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron Electronic Focus Motor For SCT and EdgeHD

• Please log in to reply
528 replies to this topic

#1 dcollier

dcollier

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 January 2019 - 03:07 PM

Anyone Know anything about this offering?  I have a  C8 Starbright XLT SCT I am not sure of its age but the focuser seems to be the same as the current production scopes. 

https://www.astronom...eb428a-85371629

-Dave

• rodolgo likes this

#2 petert913

petert913

Gemini

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 03 January 2019 - 03:19 PM

Looks good.  And I just sold my AVX mount :(  

Can still use it with a laptop, I suppose, but powered by the mount would be nice. 

#3 Waltski

Waltski

Explorer 1

• Loc: Oregon

Posted 03 January 2019 - 03:24 PM

I'm really interested in this, if it will let me do very fine focusing. The stock manual focus is sometimes a bit challenging to get just right...

Edited by Waltski, 03 January 2019 - 03:51 PM.

#4 Lemonhawk

Lemonhawk

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Palm Harbor, FL

Posted 03 January 2019 - 03:42 PM

Wonder if it will work with a feather touch installed?

#5 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 03 January 2019 - 04:28 PM

Wonder if it will work with a feather touch installed?

Unlikely. It appears to require that the stock rubber focuser knob be removed, so it wouldn't be able to operate with the Starlight Instruments Feathertouch SCT microfocuser in place.

Edited by mclewis1, 03 January 2019 - 05:51 PM.

#6 lenrabinowitz

lenrabinowitz

Vanguard

• Loc: Risa

Posted 03 January 2019 - 04:58 PM

I wish someone would make a focuser like this but with adapters so it could be used with multiple optical tubes.

This is tempting but it will only work with my SCT and not my refractors.

#7 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

Posted 03 January 2019 - 06:18 PM

I'm curious about the support for this new focuser. The product descriptions indicate the focuser is supported by ...

- the hand controller (NexStar+ or StarSense), but there's no information on firmware levels required (perhaps the code for the focuser has been there for a while ... or not required at all?). Connection is via the AUX port

- the Windows focuser utility (assume this will be new app to download) and CPWI software via the USB interface (does the latest version support it?)

- 3rd party software via ASCOM through the USB interface (ASCOM driver availability?)

There are obviously timing issues for the release of different types of support ... but there's no information around about this. I wonder what works with the focuser today and what the schedule is for any other support?

Edit: Hey look ... the software and downloads page has shown up (was blank yesterday). Manual and software apps that addresses all my questions above.

Edited by mclewis1, 04 January 2019 - 08:58 AM.

#8 lenrabinowitz

lenrabinowitz

Vanguard

• Loc: Risa

Posted 03 January 2019 - 06:30 PM

I also wonder if SkyPortal or SkySafari will support it.

#9 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 03 January 2019 - 06:47 PM

Here are the current details from Celestron's own website:

https://www.celestro...-sct-and-edgehd

Optical tube compatibility is pretty much all current SCTs (except the 5") and EdgeHDs.  You can download the manual, the Windows focuser utility and the ASCOM driver there as well.  As far as I know the ability to focus via the hand control has not been released yet though it should be soon.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
Author of "The NexStar Users Guide II"
Author of "The NexStar Users Guide"
Author of "NexStar Observer List"
https://www.nexstarsite.com

• Gary Z and gfstallin like this

#10 nicoyenny

nicoyenny

Viking 1

Posted 03 January 2019 - 07:11 PM

Time to open the wallet ...again ...

• starbuckin likes this

#11 Euphonia

Euphonia

Sputnik

Posted 03 January 2019 - 07:31 PM

There's a fair bit of loose slack in the factory focus knob on the CPC1100 HD. About a 10 degree turn before focus actually starts shifting. Wonder how that plays out when motorized, and if the Sharpcap ASCOM focus assist can handle it?

#12 dcollier

dcollier

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 January 2019 - 08:20 PM

Mike-

When you say current SCTs you are referring to ones with a triangular pattern on the back?  Not the flat back variety correct?

-Dave

#13 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 03 January 2019 - 08:53 PM

Mike-

When you say current SCTs you are referring to ones with a triangular pattern on the back?  Not the flat back variety correct?

-Dave

Hi Dave - best to read the info at Celestron's website which I linked to above.

#14 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 03 January 2019 - 08:53 PM

There's a fair bit of loose slack in the factory focus knob on the CPC1100 HD. About a 10 degree turn before focus actually starts shifting. Wonder how that plays out when motorized, and if the Sharpcap ASCOM focus assist can handle it?

Since it's ASCOM compatible Sharpcap will just see it as a motorized focuser available to be adjusted via the software. 

This utilizes the factory planetary essentially replacing the backing plate of the focuser with one that has threaded holes to attach the electric focuser and comes with the appropriate adapters for the different sizes of the brass focuser bodies.  

Here is Sharpcap's info on backlash in focusing.  

.... Backlash in the focuser mechanism will be present in all real focusers and shows itself as the best focus point appearing in differing positions depending on which direction the focuser is moving.  So, if the peak focus score is at focuser position 20100 when the focuser is moving in the positive (+ve) direction, it could be at 19900 when moving in the negative (-ve) direction.  If trying to return the focuser to the position where the score was at its best, always approach from the same direction used when measuring the focus to avoid errors caused by backlash.

So that's how you would handle this issue. 

You could run a series of test focuses and determine what your backlash number is and remember to always include that figure in calculating the two possible values.  If you knew it was 50 then you could always add 50 more units when returning to the same focus position. 

• Euphonia likes this

#15 skaiser

skaiser

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: dallas Texas

Posted 03 January 2019 - 10:19 PM

As far as I can tell from the web page on the Celestron Focus Motor and the Software support page, they don't appear to have a ASCOM driver for the unit YET.

To quote the Web Page 

"To use third-party focuser control software, an ASCOM driver is needed"

The support page does not seem to list one , unless I'm missing something.

But overall a very interesting focuser design.

#16 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 03 January 2019 - 11:39 PM

As far as I can tell from the web page on the Celestron Focus Motor and the Software support page, they don't appear to have a ASCOM driver for the unit YET.

To quote the Web Page 

"To use third-party focuser control software, an ASCOM driver is needed"

The support page does not seem to list one , unless I'm missing something.

But overall a very interesting focuser design.

The ASCOM driver is available on the Support and Downloads tab (right below the picture) on Celestron's page:

https://www.celestro...-sct-and-edgehd

The Windows utility is listed there as well but it links to the same download as the ASCOM driver.  It is possible they built a little shell around the ASCOM driver so that might be correct but the manual seems to indicate it is a separate utility.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
Author of "The NexStar Users Guide II"
Author of "The NexStar Users Guide"
Author of "NexStar Observer List"
https://www.nexstarsite.com

#17 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 03 January 2019 - 11:42 PM

In addition to most ASCOM compatible focuser applications having the ability to deal with focuser backlash, page 6 of the manual (available at the link to Celestron's website) notes the hand control will have focuser backlash settings as well.

• Euphonia likes this

#18 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

Posted 04 January 2019 - 09:19 AM

Here are the current details from Celestron's own website: https://www.celestro...-sct-and-edgehd

Optical tube compatibility is pretty much all current SCTs (except the 5") and EdgeHDs.  You can download the manual, the Windows focuser utility and the ASCOM driver there as well.  As far as I know the ability to focus via the hand control has not been released yet though it should be soon.

Thanks Mike, the Software and Downloads tab was empty when I looked yesterday. TeamCelestron also didn't have anything on "Focuser" yesterday ... I guess they are just a little out of sync with releasing the 5.30 firmware. Nice to see that C is now pretty well covered on the product release information and various pieces required. Now it's just a timing/availability issue to get everything shipping. 

It's going to be interesting to see just what the physical requirement actually is to mount and use the new focuser. Over the years that focuser knob post has changed a little bit on some scopes but I assume that there will some clever folks performing a little DIY work to adapt things.

#19 beammeup

beammeup

Mariner 2

• Loc: Straight of Gibraltar

Posted 04 January 2019 - 09:48 AM

How much?

#20 tmyers

tmyers

Vostok 1

• Loc: Kettering, OH

Posted 04 January 2019 - 10:07 AM

$199.99 on the Celestron Website. Did  read that the HC could also control the focuser?

#21 Larry Adams

Larry Adams

Lift Off

• Loc: Windsor, Colorado

Posted 04 January 2019 - 12:49 PM

Just ordered mine! Been wanting a focuser for my C11 for EAA.

#22 beammeup

beammeup

Mariner 2

• Loc: Straight of Gibraltar

Posted 04 January 2019 - 03:47 PM

Shame, I just bought and adapted a Skywatcher motofocuser to my edge 8hd, very cheap about 45 bucks, with a hand control. It's another $100 for the optional Shoestring USB PC control (not purchased yet.).

Sooo...  I might now get the Celestron motor focuser when available here in Europe.

Can it somehow be plugged into the AVX mount for power?

What is the AUX port used for? (on the celestron motor focuser), 

I cannot see the instruction manual download . has anyone got the link pls?

I have a Meade zero focuser, it's very good but cannot use it with Hyperstar.

This is the Skywatcher motor mounted on the Skywatcher mak 127,  I have same setup on my Celestron edge 8hd

maxresdefault.jpg

Meade zero focuser cannot be used with Hyperstar:

07080-meade-zero-image-shift-electronic-

Edited by beammeup, 04 January 2019 - 03:57 PM.

#23 Euphonia

Euphonia

Sputnik

Posted 04 January 2019 - 05:38 PM

Thanks for for explaining the backlash calibration process.

Looks like a no-brainer purchase honestly

#24 vlxjim

vlxjim

Explorer 1

Posted 04 January 2019 - 06:51 PM

I ordered one. I got all the drivers and software downloaded. So it looks like they did their homework on this one. You can use the hand controller, the ASCOM driver, the PWI program, or the Celestron Focus Utility Program. You can adjust for backlash and it has 3 speeds on the HC (RATE 1: 8°/sec RATE 2: 32°/sec RATE 3: 128°/sec). I was about to buy a Feather Touch so glad that this one came out.

Setup Docs.

https://celestron-si...ng_BookletF.pdf

Manual
https://celestron-si...M_English_F.pdf

Attached Thumbnails

• 94155_Focus_Motor_for_SCT_and_EdgeHD_06_570x380@2x-2.jpg
  • 94155_Focus_Motor_for_SCT_and_EdgeHD_05_570x380@2x.jpg

Edited by vlxjim, 05 January 2019 - 02:59 AM.

• mclewis1, mumbles, jeff toma and 2 others like this

#25 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 04 January 2019 - 08:17 PM

It's going to be interesting to see just what the physical requirement actually is to mount and use the new focuser. Over the years that focuser knob post has changed a little bit on some scopes but I assume that there will some clever folks performing a little DIY work to adapt things.

The operating manual and installation instructions are two separate downloads. The installation is a bit involved.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
Author of "The NexStar User's Guide II"
Author of "The NexStar User's Guide"
https://www.NexStarSite.com

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics