•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron Electronic Focus Motor For SCT and EdgeHD

• Please log in to reply
528 replies to this topic

#51 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 10 January 2019 - 07:21 PM

On a tangent, wouldn't it be nice if NexRemote included Starsense operation cool.gif

Hi David,

NexRemote won't be updated but it is being replaced by CPWI:

https://www.nexstars...ontrol/CPWI.htm

CPWI supports StarSense and the current beta version (available for testing if you join TeamCelestron.com) is already working with all of the current Celestron mounts.

Best regards,

Mike Swanson
Author of "The NexStar Users Guide II"
Author of "The NexStar Users Guide"
Author of "NexStar Observer List"
https://www.nexstarsite.com

Edited by Michael_Swanson, 10 January 2019 - 11:03 PM.

• beammeup, PilotAstronomy and djdoud like this

#52 vlxjim

vlxjim

Explorer 1

Posted 10 January 2019 - 11:00 PM

I order mine the first day from Celestron as it show in stock. Celestron still shows it in stock. This is not true. I got a email yesterday stating it was back ordered. I gave them a call and was told it should be shipped out on Feb. 5th. They said they weren't sure why it shows in stock as they have not received the first shipment yet. Nice....

#53 davidparks

davidparks

Viking 1

• Loc: Battle Creek, MI - USA

Posted 10 January 2019 - 11:08 PM

CPWI will support StarSense and the current beta version (available for testing if you join TeamCelestron.com) is already working with all of the current Celestron mounts.

Oh that sounds great Michael, thanks for the update!  

#54 vlxjim

vlxjim

Explorer 1

Posted 10 January 2019 - 11:19 PM

Correct, you must use the hand control or an external computer to focus.  That is the big drawback of this focuser, it mounts right onto the focusing knob (after removing the rubber cover) and there is no easy way to remove it out in the field should you need to resort to manual focus. 

Those who only use SkyPortal/SkySafari in place of the physical hand control may not be so interested although it is likely the physical hand control could control the focuser without disrupting SkyPortal/SkySafari.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson

I not sure that removing it and putting the rubber knob back on would take more than a minute or two. There is two screws to the mount and loosen the clamp screw. I don't see that you would need to remove the mount plate. 

• Farzad_K likes this

#55 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 11 January 2019 - 01:16 AM

I not sure that removing it and putting the rubber knob back on would take more than a minute or two. There is two screws to the mount and loosen the clamp screw. I don't see that you would need to remove the mount plate. 

I think that is correct and since the focus motor mounting screws are captive, no danger of loosing them in the dark.  I would recommend a screwdriver-type hex wrench in your field kit rather then the provided "L" shaped Allen key - much easier to use in the dark.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson

#56 skaiser

skaiser

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: dallas Texas

Posted 13 January 2019 - 11:48 PM

Anyone spotted any dimensional information on this.

the couple pictures I see of it mounted to a scope have me worried about interfering with my celestron OAG guider setup.

it May clear but would be nice to know the dimensions.

also, 8deg / sec as the slowest speed seems a bit fast for fine tuning the focus.

although from the manual it looks like you can move to specific indexer positions.

Just not sure how well the built in autofocus routines in various programs will handle this unless they can make adjustments in “index” moves?

do the auto focus routines keep track of the focuser position and the “best” focus reading to figure out the optimized location?

i use 5deg minimum moves with my homemade LEGO nxt focuser to tweak things in.

Edited by skaiser, 13 January 2019 - 11:59 PM.

#57 andicus

andicus

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 14 January 2019 - 04:33 PM

the couple pictures I see of it mounted to a scope have me worried about interfering with my celestron OAG guider setup.

also, 8deg / sec as the slowest speed seems a bit fast for fine tuning the focus.

although from the manual it looks like you can move to specific indexer positions.

Just not sure how well the built in autofocus routines in various programs will handle this unless they can make adjustments in “index” moves?

do the auto focus routines keep track of the focuser position and the “best” focus reading to figure out the optimized location?

It's more money, but if you find that the clearance is an issue for you, consider Pegasus Astro.  Their SCT focuser is designed with an offset so that it won't interfere with filter wheels, and the like.

https://pegasusastro...-focus-kit-sct/

#58 dylanodonnell

dylanodonnell

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 14 January 2019 - 05:28 PM

Hi all, 

If it helps at all I just measured the test unit I have here. 

The long side is 10cm (100mm)
The amount it sticks out from the back of the OTA is 6cm (60mm) + a small gap, roughly 1cm (10mm)
The width of the unit is 5cm (50mm) 

(Approximate .. not measured with calipers or laser precision but hopefully it's a guide.) 

Dylan. 

Edited by dylanodonnell, 14 January 2019 - 05:29 PM.

• davidparks and Cfreerksen like this

#59 mkpaulson

mkpaulson

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: va

Posted 14 January 2019 - 06:52 PM

Got the Celestron focus motor for my C-14 HD and during the installation procedure after it was all tighten down it was binding wouldn't turn, loosened up the mounting screws started to turn but still was binding. Remove the focus motor and noticed on the back that there was a grinding mark against the back of the motor where it had been rubbing on the screws. The original screws heads are just too thick, or the orange plate is not raised high enough. Only solution I could come up with was to file down the head of the screws put together and it seems to work okay. Went through the calibration and the motor moved freely back and forth. They either need to make the mounting plate a little thicker or supply screws with a shallower head.

Attached Thumbnails

• motor.jpg
  • plate.jpg

• mumbles, Farzad_K, davidparks and 1 other like this

#60 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 14 January 2019 - 11:29 PM

Got the Celestron focus motor for my C-14 HD and during the installation procedure after it was all tighten down it was binding wouldn't turn, loosened up the mounting screws started to turn but still was binding. Remove the focus motor and noticed on the back that there was a grinding mark against the back of the motor where it had been rubbing on the screws. The original screws heads are just too thick, or the orange plate is not raised high enough. Only solution I could come up with was to file down the head of the screws put together and it seems to work okay. Went through the calibration and the motor moved freely back and forth. They either need to make the mounting plate a little thicker or supply screws with a shallower head.

Thanks for this info and pictures.  I've passed this up the chain at Celestron.  If anyone else experiences similar issues, please post here along with the optical tube you were attempting to mount this to.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson

• davidparks likes this

#61 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 15 January 2019 - 09:37 AM

A simple fix (aside from filing down the tops of the bolts) would be to add a thin spacer with an inside diameter just larger than where the 3 bolts are. This could be just about any material ... a plastic one could be made up rather quickly with minimal tools.

• davidparks likes this

#62 vlxjim

vlxjim

Explorer 1

Posted 15 January 2019 - 07:07 PM

A better fix would be to use counter sunk screws and counter sink the mount holes. Or increase the spacer of the motor to the mount. And are those the screws that came with the motor mount? I would change them out.

Edited by vlxjim, 15 January 2019 - 07:12 PM.

#63 John Z

John Z

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 16 January 2019 - 05:08 PM

Hi All,

New here, but thought I would relay my experience.   Just received the Celestron focuser (ordered from Astronomics and received it within 3 days of my order). 

I have a NexStar 8SE with a wedge.

Followed the install instructions and was literally done in 5 mins. 

I recently (about a month ago) updated my HC, but it didn't have the focuser software at that time.  Used CFM_2.7.9007 and updated again today with no issue.

Plugged HC back into the mount, powered up and now had "Focuser" as a menu option.

Immediately performed a calibration (sub menu under "Focuser") and was done.

Still light here, but did play around with focusing on a license plate about 300 yrds away (and through a window)...I must say, I am extremely pleased.  3 speed settings and my scope doesn't vibrate near as bad as when I manually focused.

If durability matches performance (thus far), then this is a value product for me.

John Z

• GalaxyPiper likes this

#64 dylanodonnell

dylanodonnell

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 16 January 2019 - 05:56 PM

Hi All,

New here, but thought I would relay my experience.   Just received the Celestron focuser (ordered from Astronomics and received it within 3 days of my order). 

I have a NexStar 8SE with a wedge.

Followed the install instructions and was literally done in 5 mins. 

I recently (about a month ago) updated my HC, but it didn't have the focuser software at that time.  Used CFM_2.7.9007 and updated again today with no issue.

Plugged HC back into the mount, powered up and now had "Focuser" as a menu option.

Immediately performed a calibration (sub menu under "Focuser") and was done.

Still light here, but did play around with focusing on a license plate about 300 yrds away (and through a window)...I must say, I am extremely pleased.  3 speed settings and my scope doesn't vibrate near as bad as when I manually focused.

If durability matches performance (thus far), then this is a value product for me.

John Z

Good to hear.. and I agree completely.. having this for Celestron scopes native is great news. I'm really enjoying motor focus now. This will be a hugely popular product. 

I believe there were a number of issues with the HC Firmware but they are resolved since CFM_2.7.9007

d

• Cfreerksen likes this

#65 TimmyTim

TimmyTim

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Henderson, NV

Posted 18 January 2019 - 06:19 AM

I got mine today, when I first tried installing it on my Edge 925 with EdgeHD x.7 Reducer I noticed that it was extremely difficult to install after pushing it down my self I was able to get it installed, but when attempted to calibrate the motor kept getting stuck, it seemed like because of the angle the reducer is pushing the focuser at it was causing strain on the housing of the knob. Once I removed the Reducer I was able to calibrate and use the focuser properly. Anyone experienced same issue and have a solution? 

#66 davidparks

davidparks

Viking 1

Posted 18 January 2019 - 10:44 PM

Received the focuser today, stunned I was.  After reading John Z's post about his experience ordering from Astronomics, I cancelled my order with Celestron direct, which was on backorder til Feb 2nd... Placed my order with Astronomics Wednesday night, and received it mid-day on Friday, standard shipping... wow... just wow...

I found the installation instructions to be very clear and detailed enough that I had no problems fixing the focuser to my Nexstar 6 SE.  Just read it step by step and don't skip ahead... voila, not one problem at all, very nice.

Of course the first thing I did was test it with the Starsense Hand Control, calibration, focus in and out, speed/rate... works great.  Right away I could tell that large movements after adding a reducer/barlow etc. will be no concern at it's highest rate, and the finest of focus tweaks at the highest magnification would also be easy.  Far better than my previous motorized focuser.  Way Far.

Removed the Starsense HC, and connected laptop via SkyPortal WiFi Accessory with the Focuser connected via AUX...  Tested the Focuser with Celestron PWI... great success.  Couldn't be happier waytogo.gif

(In fact a brilliant 'ecosystem' with mount, starsense, skysync, skyportal, focuser, and beta CPWI under development) 

Also tested the new Focuser with the ASCOM driver connected via USB, again, great success with both the Celestron Focus Utility and within Sharpcap.

This is truly a great focuser for Celestron, with the ability to communicate via AUX or USB, and to be powered via AUX, USB, or direct 12v.  Very versatile.

With focus control integrated right into the Celestron HC, needing only one cable for both power and communication, with or without laptop this is a game changer.  Big Win Celestron!

• mclewis1, S1mas and roelb like this

#67 djdoud

djdoud

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Northern California

Posted 19 January 2019 - 12:04 AM

Same experience here!  Astronomics order placed wednesday night - standard shipping - got it early this afternoon!

Tested setup: CPWI beta 2.1.14 on Win7 - wifi - evolution mount - aux cable - focuser.

Works great!

#68 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 21 January 2019 - 05:55 PM

More on this - Celestron checked the EdgeHD 14" optical tubes they had there at their offices and those did not experience this problem.  That said, it is obvious at least one mount left the factory with screws that have larger heads then expected.  Celestron said anyone experiencing this problem should contact their Support team via their website for a solution (presumably they will offer replacement screws).

Best regards,

Mike Swanson

#69 haleymon

haleymon

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Tomball, Texas

Posted 22 January 2019 - 06:53 PM

All

FYI Telescopes Plus not only has them in stock...  They are $10 less then everyone else at $189 (free shipping, no tax)

https://www.telescop...nd-edgehd-94155

#70 PilotAstronomy

PilotAstronomy

Explorer 1

Posted 23 January 2019 - 04:39 AM

I currently have a Rigel Stepper Motor on my C925, but I’m considering swapping over to this. Anyone have experience with both? The Rigel is somewhat flimsy and SLLLOOOWWW when swapping from f/2.3 to f/6.3 to f/10, etc. I usually just disengage it and manually focus, but I would vastly prefer not to. This seems like a no-brained at $200, but I also know money doesn’t grow on trees. I’m almost definitely going to get it unless one of y’all talks me out of it.

#71 TimmyTim

TimmyTim

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 23 January 2019 - 05:46 AM

If you have a Reducer on your C925 than stay away until they come up with another revision of this focuser. This one won’t fit properly on the C925 with the Reducer installed.

#72 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 23 January 2019 - 09:33 AM

If you have a Reducer on your C925 than stay away until they come up with another revision of this focuser. This one won’t fit properly on the C925 with the Reducer installed.

That isn't an accurate statement. You had problems with an EdgeHD setup, not the regular 9.25 SCT. The rear cell and reducer are physically very different.

#73 TimmyTim

TimmyTim

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 23 January 2019 - 03:41 PM

That isn't an accurate statement. You had problems with an EdgeHD setup, not the regular 9.25 SCT. The rear cell and reducer are physically very different.

Ah good to know thanks for the update. 

#74 davidparks

davidparks

Viking 1

Posted 23 January 2019 - 04:11 PM

I thought i read a recent post where someone was asking if the new focuser worked through ASCOM while connected to the mount via AUX, but now I can’t find the post...

In any case, just to be clear... YES waytogo.gif

For handcontrol operation, i only tested the Starsense HC, not the Nexstar+ HC, but I assume it will work the same, which is wonderfully.  (Focuser connected to mount via AUX)

With Focuser connected to the mount via AUX, you can use the Celestron Focus Utility (PC interface), and/or ASCOM compatible software using the “Celestron Focuser Driver” driver.

With Focuser connected to PC via USB, you can use the Celestron Focus Utility, and/or ASCOM compatible software using the “Celestron USB Focuser” driver.

In both cases (AUX or USB Focuser), you can connect the PC via USB to Handcontroller running Nexremote on PC.  Also, in both cases, you can connect the PC via wireless (no handcontroller), running SkyQLinkPC and Nexremote on PC.  I used the SkyPortal WiFi Accessory, as the Nexstar 6 SE does not have built in WiFi.

Celestron Mount, SkySync, Starsense, and Focuser, all connected via AUX, communicating to PC via SkyPortal = Game Changer, with minimal  AUX cabling, needing very little 12v power.  In fact, slewing and focusing simultaneously at highest rate only pulled 0.9 amps!  It doesn’t take much battery to keep this rig running all night weekend cool.gif

#75 PilotAstronomy

PilotAstronomy

Explorer 1

Posted 23 January 2019 - 10:55 PM

Gah! I was going to buy it this evening but it seems to be sold out everywhere! Was literally available everywhere this afternoon. Anyone know anywhere that has one? I put an order in at highpoint but can cx it to try somewhere else.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics