•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron Electronic Focus Motor For SCT and EdgeHD

• Please log in to reply
257 replies to this topic

#101 CA Curtis 17

CA Curtis 17

Viking 1

• Loc: California

Posted 06 February 2019 - 12:36 AM

A friend bought one for his 9.25" Edge and found out it is not compatible with the 0.7X focal reducer.  He contacted Celestron support and this is their reply - seems like a pretty reasonable reply from them, so long as you forgive the original error and not thoroughly testing the device in all configurations.  Perhaps others may want to see if Celestron can provide the same option instead of trying to fix it themselves.

Mine is on back order, but is for my 14" Edge so I should not have a problem with that.

Best Regards,

Curtis

"Thank you for your e-mail to Celestron.

It has come to our attention that the Celestron Focus Motor is not compatible with certain combinations. One of those combinations being that with the Celestron 2" 0.7 reducer and the 9.25" SCT Edge HD.

Unfortunately, there is no workaround for this issue. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Our Product Development Team is working hard to address this concern and will be releasing a new focus motor mid this year. This new design will offer better compatibility across all Celestron’s optical tubes and accessories and will be guaranteed to work with the EdgeHD 925 .7x Focal Reducer combination.

We understand that this may be disappointing and we are happy to offer a RMA so that you can return your existing focus motor to us for a full refund. At the same time, I can also place an order for the new focus motor on your behalf. This way, you will be at the front of the line to receive the new motor as soon as it becomes available.

If you’d like to go this route, we will send you a prepaid shipping label immediately. You can either return the focus motor to us now or wait a few months and continue using it with your 9.25” EdgeHD optical tube (without the reducer lens) while the switch is taking place. Either way, as soon as your RMA arrives at Celestron, we will issue your refund. When the updated focus motor ships out, your card will be charged for the new unit.

Of course, if you prefer to return the unit to us now for a refund and not place an order today, I can take care of that as well. Please let me know which option you’d prefer.

We appreciate your continued interest and support our products and look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best regards,

Celestron Technical Support"

#102 K4PDM

K4PDM

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: East Kentucky USA

Posted 06 February 2019 - 05:40 AM

Does anyone know if the new electronic focuser can be controlled from the Star Sense HC while also using a tablet for the telescope positioning via wi-fi?

I currently keep the HC attached for when I need to manually move the telescope and use the tablet for go-tos.

#103 carlm01

carlm01

Explorer 1

Posted 06 February 2019 - 06:02 AM

I'm hoping that at some point they come out with a stand alone H/C for th focuser it would make simple things much easier 

#104 davidparks

davidparks

Ranger 4

• Loc: Battle Creek, MI - USA

Posted 06 February 2019 - 08:42 AM

Does anyone know if the new electronic focuser can be controlled from the Star Sense HC while also using a tablet for the telescope positioning via wi-fi?

I currently keep the HC attached for when I need to manually move the telescope and use the tablet for go-tos.

Yes, that works just fine.  (with Focuser connected via AUX port)

Edited by davidparks, 06 February 2019 - 03:45 PM.

#105 lwool

lwool

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 08 February 2019 - 12:51 PM

I see there are two shaft size options for this motor, one split sleeve is built into the motor and an adaptor bushing for a smaller diameter.  Can anyone please tell me the diameter of these two shaft sizes ?

I am building an adaptor to mount one on my 1990 C8, this is a cool little motor!  I'm also replacing the 1/4-20 focus thread with 1/2-40 to give higher resolution.

I have ask Celestron's customer service and they won't reply with an answer. Guess they aren't ready to deal with the hackers.  HA

• JFCalvano likes this

#106 saguaro

saguaro

Viking 1

• Loc: Southern Arizona

Posted 08 February 2019 - 01:04 PM

I have an early 1980’s Celestron 8-inch SCT optical tube that I use on an Evolution mount with Starsense. I’d love to know if this new focuser could be adapted to work with the focus knob on it.

• JFCalvano likes this

#107 descott12

descott12

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 08 February 2019 - 01:25 PM

Yes, that's exactly where I am with the nStep. Its very reliable and accurate but its just too slow for an SCT. 

The JMI motofocus is also incredibly slow...almost painful. Because of this, I have not wanted to do anything from prime focus since I started using my Hyperstar.

#108 Clouzot

Clouzot

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 08 February 2019 - 02:50 PM

I currently use a FeatherTouch with Starizona’s MotorTouch, which is reasonably fast when it comes to removing the HyperStar and switching back to F/D 10. One of the advantages of the Celestron solution seems to be the integration with the mount and HC. I’m just wondering if CPWI allows controlling the focuser as well: with a WiFi connection that would be a killer
  • Noah4x4 likes this

#109 PilotAstronomy

PilotAstronomy

Explorer 1

Posted 08 February 2019 - 05:31 PM

I’m just wondering if CPWI allows controlling the focuser as well: with a WiFi connection that would be a killer

From my understanding, it does.

Edited by PilotAstronomy, 08 February 2019 - 05:31 PM.

#110 djdoud

djdoud

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Northern California

Posted 08 February 2019 - 09:10 PM

Yes, I can confirm CPWI 2.1.14 beta does indeed control the focuser over  a WIFI connection

My setup is CPWI 2.1.14 beta - Win7 Laptop - WIFI - Evolution Mount - Aux Cable - Focuser.

The beta is now available for download at

http://software.cele...PWI_2.1.14_beta

• davidparks likes this

#111 davidparks

davidparks

Ranger 4

Posted 08 February 2019 - 09:18 PM

Indeed, it does waytogo.gif   While CPWI is still under devolopment, particularly with ASCOM support/features, it already supports the Celestron Focuser natively extremely well.  I removed my JMI Motorfocus which was painfully slow... ugh... and I really couldn’t be happier, am so impressed, both with back side native and with 6.3 reducer, and front side with Hyperstar, the focus is both fast and minisculely accurate.  (Is minisculely even a word?).  I love using it wirelessly through the SkyPortal Wifi connection with focuser connected via AUX.   

Edited by davidparks, 08 February 2019 - 09:20 PM.

• saguaro and PilotAstronomy like this

#112 descott12

descott12

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 08 February 2019 - 09:59 PM

I love using it wirelessly through the SkyPortal Wifi connection with focuser connected via AUX.   

Just so I  understand...Can you control it with SkyPortal on iOS? I currently use SkyPortal via the Evo's Wifi to aim the scope and I control a JMI motofocus via a long audio cable with the hand controller and the JMI app but, as you said, it is excruciatingly slow so I would like to get the new celestron focuser myself.

My laptop is not currently attached to the Evo's WIFI - it is on my main house WIFI so I would like to control the focus via my iPhone if possible.

#113 Clouzot

Clouzot

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 February 2019 - 05:33 AM

I’m not sure if minusculely is a word, but I’m delighted to hear that the focuser is recognized and controlable from CPWI! I could confirm Starsense already works out of the box with CPWI, so that one focuser should be a no brainer for anyone interested in remote control.
Now give me a WiFi camera, and I’ll be the remote king of my backyard

#114 carlm01

carlm01

Explorer 1

Posted 09 February 2019 - 05:41 AM

Hi Guys ,this may sound like a stupid question since I'm new at this but what is  CPWI.. ?   Thanks 

#115 Clouzot

Clouzot

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 February 2019 - 06:07 AM

CPWI is Celestron’s new mount control app (for Windows only). Supports almost all recent EQ and AltAz mounts

#116 carlm01

carlm01

Explorer 1

Posted 09 February 2019 - 06:17 AM

Thank you

#117 davidparks

davidparks

Ranger 4

Posted 09 February 2019 - 08:18 AM

Just so I  understand...Can you control it with SkyPortal on iOS? 

No, sorry, didn’t mean to cause any confusion.  I meant that I connect CPWI to the mount via the SkyPortal WiFi accessory.  This allows CPWI to control mount, Starsense, and Focuser.  Completely wireless, with no Hand Controller at all.

#118 JFCalvano

JFCalvano

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Hoover, AL

Posted 09 February 2019 - 01:10 PM

I see there are two shaft size options for this motor, one split sleeve is built into the motor and an adaptor bushing for a smaller diameter.  Can anyone please tell me the diameter of these two shaft sizes ?

I am building an adaptor to mount one on my 1990 C8, this is a cool little motor!  I'm also replacing the 1/4-20 focus thread with 1/2-40 to give higher resolution.

I have ask Celestron's customer service and they won't reply with an answer. Guess they aren't ready to deal with the hackers.  HA

I also have an older C8 and would be interested in ways to make this work with the older scopes. I did find a feathertouch adapter for old syle C8s (Starizona) and wondered if there was a way to work backwards...

What is the issue with older tubes? Understand it's the back - but is the focus too close to the center, and/or is the brass shaft different diameter (already too large)?

#119 lwool

lwool

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 February 2019 - 07:58 PM

I also have an older C8 and would be interested in ways to make this work with the older scopes. I did find a feathertouch adapter for old syle C8s (Starizona) and wondered if there was a way to work backwards...

What is the issue with older tubes? Understand it's the back - but is the focus too close to the center, and/or is the brass shaft different diameter (already too large)?

Before ordering a celestron motor focuser I need to know what shaft diameters it will accept. My older (1990) C8 is .500" shaft diameter when the knob is removed.  It looks like an adaptor could be fabricated with the (2) mounting threaded holes to accept the new motor focuser.  I will be able to tell you as soon as mine comes.

• saguaro likes this

#120 carlm01

carlm01

Explorer 1

Posted 09 February 2019 - 08:22 PM

Best answer is to reach out to Celestron Technical and ask the question ......

• davidparks likes this

#121 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Surveyor 1

Posted 10 February 2019 - 08:01 PM

Hi Guys ,this may sound like a stupid question since I'm new at this but what is  CPWI.. ?   Thanks 

https://www.nexstars...ontrol/CPWI.htm

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
Author of "The NexStar Users Guide II"
Author of "The NexStar Users Guide"
Author of "NexStar Observer List"
https://www.nexstarsite.com

#122 Nissaire

Nissaire

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Montreal, Canada

Posted 12 February 2019 - 08:12 PM

My local astronomy store received my order yesterday. Picked it up and installed it on my CPC 1100 today. Pretty easy to install. I started the calibration process, but the focus motor wouldn't move. Turns out I tightened the nuts that attach the motor to the scope too tightly. With the nuts barely tightened, the motor proceeded to its calibration. Works as advertised, from what I can tell. Can't wait to try it under the stars.

#123 lwool

lwool

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 12 February 2019 - 08:53 PM

Just tried mine last night with my EdgeHD 8" + Hyperstar + @focus2 in TheSkyX worked like a champ. I was going to try out @focus3 but has anyone seen our figured out the microns per step on it yet? Could probably sort it out if we know the mm of travel required to keep an eyepiece to stay in focus for one rotation of the stock focuser. I measured my feathertouch SCT (~18.5mm) but forgot to test the stock one before putting the focus motor on...

The new focus motor ships with a split bushing to accept the focuser shaft from the telescope, can you tell me what this diameter is?   It also ships with a reducer bushing for a smaller shaft diameter but I need to know what the larger shaft size is.    I asked Celestron but they have not replied yet.  Thanks

#124 Clouzot

Clouzot

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 February 2019 - 03:09 AM

Is it available in Europe already? My usual resellers don’t have it in stock (nor do they reference it)

#125 roelb

roelb

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Belgium, Antwerp

Posted 13 February 2019 - 12:02 PM

Celestron Germany can't deliver yet. They are in the process...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics