•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron Electronic Focus Motor For SCT and EdgeHD

• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

#151 golfgti

golfgti

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 18 February 2019 - 10:13 AM

Yes I agree. The 2 screws that mount the focus motor does not carry the weight of the focuser. They just hold the focuser in place so that it doesn't rotate when focusing. Are you convinced the the 1/2'' diameter of the brass sleeve can be inserted into the clamp?

#152 HenrikH

HenrikH

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 18 February 2019 - 01:57 PM

Mike do you specifically where the "Updating Celestron Firmware with macOS is located it's not showing up in any of the searches and everything else is for windows which I've no luck at all with .. Thanks Carl

Here you go:

https://www.cloudyni...are-with-macos/

#153 lwool

lwool

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 18 February 2019 - 03:16 PM

Yes I agree. The 2 screws that mount the focus motor does not carry the weight of the focuser. They just hold the focuser in place so that it doesn't rotate when focusing. Are you convinced the the 1/2'' diameter of the brass sleeve can be inserted into the clamp?

I am sure about the diameter of my focus shaft but I don't know what size split bushing's come with the focuser, it looks like there is a large one in the focuser and a smaller converter bushing that fits in it for smaller focus shafts.  I went ahead and ordered the focuser thinking I could make an adapter or something if it doesn't fit.  

#154 vlxjim

vlxjim

Sputnik

Posted 18 February 2019 - 07:18 PM

The shaft diameter on my 8 Edge (2018) .504". The split bushing was about .514". I took aluminum foil and wrapped it one time around to shim the shaft. If not by the time the collar was compressed enough to grip the shaft it would be off-center. Shimming took care of most of the problem.

• golfgti likes this

#155 BrushyCanyon

BrushyCanyon

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 19 February 2019 - 12:03 AM

I also have a Celestron 80's vintage 8" SCT OTA, now deforked and riding on a CGEM II.  Please sign me up for any updates on plates, bushings, etc that would make it possible to fit up this focuser.

I have some good mechanical and machining skills, and are happy to DYI some basic adaptors.

Thanks

bc

• golfgti likes this

#156 golfgti

golfgti

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 19 February 2019 - 04:04 AM

The shaft diameter on my 8 Edge (2018) .504". The split bushing was about .514". I took aluminum foil and wrapped it one time around to shim the shaft. If not by the time the collar was compressed enough to grip the shaft it would be off-center. Shimming took care of most of the problem.

Many thanks. This is a great help. It makes me wonder why Celestron havn't designed an adapter to fit the older scopes, seeing that the shaft size fits.

Edited by golfgti, 19 February 2019 - 04:06 AM.

#157 vlxjim

vlxjim

Sputnik

Posted 19 February 2019 - 11:41 PM

It looks to me as tho most older scopes can be adapted to work. It maybe that Celestron did not have older scopes to try a test fit on.

CH75-64-16031-DC.jpg

#158 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 20 February 2019 - 09:19 AM

bigshock.gif Eeeeeewwwwww.  lol.gif

I'm sure Celestron could find some older examples but I'll bet it's more a case of cost (more variables in mounting, different couplers, testing, ongoing support, and general push to newer products) vs the simpler setup just for the newer scopes that drove the product decisions. 

• golfgti likes this

#159 vlxjim

vlxjim

Sputnik

Posted 20 February 2019 - 01:30 PM

Not my scope, found it on the net. But looking at this photo it would not surprise me if it mounted up with little to know modification. I think the shaft is the right size and the only question would be the the hole pattern. Adding a new hole pattern to one of the mounting rings if needed would be no big deal.

#160 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 February 2019 - 08:10 PM

bigshock.gif Eeeeeewwwwww.  lol.gif

I'm sure Celestron could find some older examples but I'll bet it's more a case of cost (more variables in mounting, different couplers, testing, ongoing support, and general push to newer products) vs the simpler setup just for the newer scopes that drove the product decisions. 

Yep, there have been so many slight variations through the years and I expect no one at Celestron has every design drawing for the dozens of variations that they most likely just decided to draw a line.  The internal conversation probably went something like - "we know if works with these, everything else is suspect so rather than upset customers with older gear, let's say it is only compatible with the new stuff."  Consider the fact that they didn't determine their first design wasn't compatible with the current 9.25" with focal reducer until an owner pointed it out...

So, it will be up to owners of older gear to discover whether it is compatible or not.

#161 saguaro

saguaro

Viking 1

• Loc: Southern Arizona

Posted Yesterday, 11:21 AM

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that the split bushing on the Celestron Focus Motor is .514-inch inside diameter, right?

The outside diameter of the brass focus shaft on my early 1980's C8 is exactly .5-inch. So it would seem that the Focus Motor would fit, with a bit of shimming as you suggested, assuming that there are no clearance issues between the Focus Motor housing and the visual back. There's also the question of whether a custom cover plate would be needed.

C8 focus knob half inch OD.jpg

Just found these on Celestron's site:

Focus Motor dimensions: https://celestron-si...ions 012219.PDF

Focus Motor Installation: https://celestron-si...ng_BookletF.pdf

Edited by saguaro, Yesterday, 11:39 AM.

#162 vlxjim

vlxjim

Sputnik

Posted Yesterday, 02:49 PM

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that the split bushing on the Celestron Focus Motor is .514-inch inside diameter, right?

The outside diameter of the brass focus shaft on my early 1980's C8 is exactly .5-inch. So it would seem that the Focus Motor would fit, with a bit of shimming as you suggested, assuming that there are no clearance issues between the Focus Motor housing and the visual back. There's also the question of whether a custom cover plate would be needed.

attachicon.gif C8 focus knob half inch OD.jpg

Just found these on Celestron's site:

Focus Motor dimensions: https://celestron-si...ions 012219.PDF

Focus Motor Installation: https://celestron-si...ng_BookletF.pdf

I would thing that it should fit, possibly a modification to the hole pattern on one of the two included mounting rings. I don't see any clearance problems as this focuser also fits the C6. The mounting ring would need to be installed on top of the bearing housing. This would shorten the length of the brass focuser knob by about an .125. This would not pose a problem as there Is plenty of hight to clamp to.

Edited by vlxjim, Yesterday, 02:53 PM.

• saguaro likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics