•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New Celestron 7" Mak

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#51 luxo II

luxo II

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 13 January 2019 - 09:17 PM

There are solutions where the secondary mirror is separate from the corrector. This introduces two more degrees of freedom with the result that highly-corrected large aperture all-spherical solutions are possible.

Edited by luxo II, 13 January 2019 - 10:54 PM.

• jrbarnett and Asbytec like this

#52 jjack's

jjack's

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: normandy

Posted 14 January 2019 - 07:18 PM

Yes Luxo II youre right, but do you think they want to make something more heavy, with more cooldown, same collimation problems, reduced aperture and as costly as  an edgeHD ?

The market for this 7"MC is  : no collimation problem ready to go and competitive price for planetary use.

(and strong enough to fall on the ground without any damage :) )

Edited by jjack's, 14 January 2019 - 07:21 PM.

#53 luxo II

luxo II

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 January 2019 - 07:48 PM

jj - sure - having had three SW180mm maks over the past 12 years they are IMHO incredible bargains and form a marketing perspective Synta would have to be crazy not to offer these in the US.

While the early ones I had (2006 and 2010) had issues all of the recent ones I've seen have been very, very good - the only reason I sold the last one I had (2017) was to trade up to my current scope.

IMHO these are an excellent size and weight for a portable scope, the optics excellent, focussing is OK, and equipped with a big low power 2" eyepiece these have just enough aperture to be interesting on DSO's  - notably galaxies - where a 5" or 6" scope is simply hopeless.

Sure an 8" SCT has a slight advantage on DSO's when it comes to light-grasp - but I bypassed that by stepping up to a 228mm Mak (9") which outperforms 8" SCTs... 

IMHO the big question is whether Synta/SW would ever have a go at making a 9" or 10" mak and kill off the C8 and C9.25.

Edited by luxo II, 14 January 2019 - 07:55 PM.

#54 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Skylab

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 14 January 2019 - 09:13 PM

I doubt Synta would stop making the C8 and C9.25.  They are very popular scopes and probably sell a ton of them.  A 9" or 10" Mak is going to weigh quite a bit more than the C8/C9.25.  I don't think they would sell as many as the SCT's.

Bill

• jrbarnett and jjack's like this

#55 Wildetelescope

Wildetelescope

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 14 January 2019 - 09:21 PM

jj - sure - having had three SW180mm maks over the past 12 years they are IMHO incredible bargains and form a marketing perspective Synta would have to be crazy not to offer these in the US.

While the early ones I had (2006 and 2010) had issues all of the recent ones I've seen have been very, very good - the only reason I sold the last one I had (2017) was to trade up to my current scope.

IMHO these are an excellent size and weight for a portable scope, the optics excellent, focussing is OK, and equipped with a big low power 2" eyepiece these have just enough aperture to be interesting on DSO's  - notably galaxies - where a 5" or 6" scope is simply hopeless.

Sure an 8" SCT has a slight advantage on DSO's when it comes to light-grasp - but I bypassed that by stepping up to a 228mm Mak (9") which outperforms 8" SCTs... 

IMHO the big question is whether Synta/SW would ever have a go at making a 9" or 10" mak and kill off the C8 and C9.25.

That is an intriguing question.  I would give that serious consideration.  I like maks, but my 8 inch edge is very good so I can’t justify the 7 inch SW.  9 or 10 at f15 or greater would be a wonderful planet killer.  

Jmd

• Dave Ponder likes this

#56 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: Pampanga, PI

Posted 14 January 2019 - 11:28 PM

Meade offered what looked like a Synta 150 on an adequate GEM for about half the price. Don't hear much about them. I wonder if the higher priced Celestron versions will take off. The mounts look beefy, maybe enough for imaging.

#57 luxo II

luxo II

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 15 January 2019 - 08:49 PM

...my 8 inch edge is very good so I can’t justify the 7 inch SW.

Jmd

Sure if you have a scope you're happy with there's no reason to switch.

Until the night you have a look through another scope side-by-side on the same target, same conditions - that shows yours is chalk, vs their cheese.

I have a good friend who is a keen lunar observer and sketcher, who spends many nights drawing what he sees behind one or other of a clutch of 3 8" SCT's he had, thinking they were all fine. Until one night I swung by his place and set up my MK91 side-by-side with his scopes. Suffice to say I was lucky to escape with mine...

However this inspired him to beg, borrow or buy a fair assortment of 7" - 8" scopes - more than 8 - and really test them all critically side-by-side. About the only scope we could not locate was an Intes-Micro M815D that is known in this country (a rare beast, probably the only one). Out of that lot he chose an Intes-Micro M715D as the keeper. 

Edited by luxo II, 15 January 2019 - 08:59 PM.

#58 vanamonde

vanamonde

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 January 2019 - 11:34 PM

Highpoint appears to be selling the OTA only:

https://www.highpoin...scope-ota-91012

I read a comment in a review elsewhere that the SW 180 dovetail was only attached by "two screws" and the reviewer thought it felt a bit "flimsy". Looks like the Celestron version has a larger, more sturdy dovetail mounting rail. Celestron says it comes with a "CGE dovetail" mount. Is "CGE" unique to Celestron, or is it compatible with either the Vixen or Losmandy dovetails? I already have a mount with an ADM dual series saddle (Losmandy or Vixen) and this 180mm Maksutov OTA has intrigued me for some time now...

Also, if anyone can comment as to the quality (solidity) of the Vixen dovetail on recent-vintage SW 180s I would be interested to hear your thoughts...

#59 vanamonde

vanamonde

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 January 2019 - 11:44 PM

Oops! I think I just answered my own question:

https://www.celestro...th-other-mounts

"Larger mounts are made to carry larger optical tubes and payloads and use the second most common size, the Losmandy or CGE-width."

So CGE = Losmandy.

That makes the Celestron version of this OTA somewhat more attractive. I have an Astrotech AT8RCS (steel) with both kinds of dovetail, Vixen & Losmandy. I have an AVX mount that came with a Vixen-only saddle. I quickly determined that putting a 19 lb. OTA on a mount with a VX dovetail did not inspire confidence. So I replaced the stock saddle with an ADM dual series. I am much happier with the combination of scope and mount now that I use the Losmandy-style dovetail. It feels much more solid.

#60 luxo II

luxo II

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 26 January 2019 - 11:46 PM

Highpoint appears to be selling the OTA only:

https://www.highpoin...scope-ota-91012

I read a comment in a review elsewhere that the SW 180 dovetail was only attached by "two screws" and the reviewer thought it felt a bit "flimsy".

From the SW 180 maks I had, yes I would agree with that - the OTA flopped quite visibly on the vixen bar when attached to my mount.

SW really could do better in that area by fitting a couple of decent blocks on the OTA to spread the mechanical load. Or DIY.

Edited by luxo II, 26 January 2019 - 11:49 PM.

• jrbarnett likes this

#61 chakel

chakel

Explorer 1

• Loc: San Mateo, CA

Posted 27 January 2019 - 12:05 AM

Would I notice a visible difference with a 7” Celestron Mak or SW 180 over my Intes-Micro Alter M603 (f10)? If so, I’d prefer the paint scheme on the Celestron. 

#62 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Skylab

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 27 January 2019 - 11:10 AM

You would probably see a small difference in terms of brightness and resolution but not a “wow” factor.  

Bill

• chakel likes this

#63 Helvetios

Helvetios

Explorer 1

Posted 27 January 2019 - 11:20 AM

I went ahead and ordered the Celestron 7" MCT from High Point Scientific. They sell the OTA alone, which is all I'm interested in since I have a CEM60. It seems that the Orion, SkyWatcher, and Celestron 7" MCT's have now all been upgraded to 2" visual backs, which is really nice.  They are probably all identical optically as well, but I did notice quite a bit of variation in the advertising regarding coatings. Since these all apparenly originate from the same source, the coatings may very well be the same, but there was no way for me to know for sure. I went with Celestron largely because they make a big deal about their StarBright XLT Technology. Orion does not mention coatings and SkyWatcher just say "Fully multi-coated". It's very suggestive from the photo of the Orion version that the corrector is coated from the colors, so I certainly don't doubt that it has anti-reflective coatings. The question is are they all the same for each manufacturing line.

Should arrive tomorrow and I'll report back when I have a first assessment!

Richard

Edited by Helvetios, 27 January 2019 - 11:25 AM.

• Erik Bakker, Paul Morow, Tyson M and 1 other like this

#64 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 27 January 2019 - 12:00 PM

Look forward to your experience with the Celestron 7" MCT Richard!

#65 De Lorme

De Lorme

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 January 2019 - 03:57 PM

I to! and congratulations Richard.

#66 Peter Besenbruch

Peter Besenbruch

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Oahu

Posted 28 January 2019 - 01:20 AM

I went ahead and ordered the Celestron 7" MCT from High Point Scientific. They sell the OTA alone, which is all I'm interested in since I have a CEM60. It seems that the Orion, SkyWatcher, and Celestron 7" MCT's have now all been upgraded to 2" visual backs, which is really nice.  They are probably all identical optically as well, but I did notice quite a bit of variation in the advertising regarding coatings. Since these all apparenly originate from the same source, the coatings may very well be the same, but there was no way for me to know for sure. I went with Celestron largely because they make a big deal about their StarBright XLT Technology. Orion does not mention coatings and SkyWatcher just say "Fully multi-coated". It's very suggestive from the photo of the Orion version that the corrector is coated from the colors, so I certainly don't doubt that it has anti-reflective coatings. The question is are they all the same for each manufacturing line.

I think you will like the new scope. The Skywatcher has a multi-coated corrector and mirrors with enhanced aluminum. The Vixen dovetail is held in place with two screws. They use small, curved stabilizers on the inside of the tube at the attachment points.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics