•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

6" Meade Reflector Focus

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Gashog

Gashog

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 January 2019 - 08:14 PM

I bought a Meade 6600 from an eBay seller.

It's a little rough but I got the nicotine (or whatever the heck that was!) off the mirrors.

I just star tested it on my neighbor's Christmas tree (hope he's not a member here!) about 1.5km away and I think it'll be pretty sweet...once I can see the sky.

The only thing is; I had to slide my eyepiece out a little bit in order to find focus.

Is 1.5km really that close?

Or did I mess up my eyeball collimation? I have a Cheshire eyepiece on the way but I get a pretty even looking donut when I focus it longer.

Also I was using a Meade 4000 26mm. The 6600 came without eyepieces.

Anyway I'm pretty excited.

It's very similar to a telescope I saw Halley's Comet with when I was a kid. A nice guy invited me, my mom and my sister look through it when all we had was my grandfather's pair of WW2 binoculars...and were looking in the wrong direction! tongue2.gif

So thanks dude on High Point in the middle of the night in 1986. This telescope's dedicated to you!

• steve t likes this

#2 gene 4181

gene 4181

Aurora

• Loc: n.e. ohio

Posted 03 January 2019 - 08:32 PM

Yup , to look thru a reflector  terrestrially  have to pull out  the eyepiece  . 

#3 Gashog

Gashog

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 January 2019 - 09:00 PM

Yup , to look thru a reflector  terrestrially  have to pull out  the eyepiece  . 

Kewel good news.

This is my first reflector....besides my kid's 3" Tasco that they never used.

I have a small collection of ETX telescopes in various stages of disrepair.

My 60mm, which I just finished, will focus down to 15 feet or something.

#4 Gashog

Gashog

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 January 2019 - 11:45 PM

Best way to attach my basket case ETX~90 to the piggyback mount?

Both plates are threaded.

Drill ETX?

#5 Gashog

Gashog

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 January 2019 - 08:28 PM

t96Pv33.jpg

xpHCZZm.jpg

jSleNhl.jpg

#6 Gashog

Gashog

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 January 2019 - 08:52 PM

I'm missing a couple parts.

I'm still too noob to be trusted to post a want add.

#7 apfever

apfever

Aurora

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 07 January 2019 - 09:48 AM

That is a Mizar mount. A very nice mount but about at it's load limit with that scope. I wouldn't be tacking on extras like an ETX.  You need to be VERY careful without a counterweight. 

There should be a weight on the long metal shaft, that counters the weight of the telescope tube.  As it is, the set up will want to swing around and bash the scope into the tripod if you don't have that weight.

If you have the weight, it should always be on the mount when the telescope tube is on the mount. 

#8 Gashog

Gashog

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 January 2019 - 01:09 PM

That is a Mizar mount. A very nice mount but about at it's load limit with that scope. I wouldn't be tacking on extras like an ETX.  You need to be VERY careful without a counterweight. 

There should be a weight on the long metal shaft, that counters the weight of the telescope tube.  As it is, the set up will want to swing around and bash the scope into the tripod if you don't have that weight.

If you have the weight, it should always be on the mount when the telescope tube is on the mount. 

Good point. No piggyback.

That's one of the pieces (counterweight) missing from the mount. That, a toe saver and a slow motion handle.

I need an eyepiece tray/wingnut/bolt for the tripod...and one tiny countersunk phillips flat head for a stabiliser strut.

I need a knurled adjuster screw and nut for the finder scope bracket...Oh.. and one rubber tripod tip.

I'd like to find original parts even though most of the things are off the shelf.

The hardware on the telescope and tripod legs is all stainless.

I could make a weight (will attach something temporary ASAP) but it wouldn't look correct.

I need to crate it all in foam.

I might build a plywood box but any suggestions would be great!

It'll need to secure everything in the back of my pickup down bumpy, dusty roads.

I'll snap some macros of the small parts.

#9 JoeInMN

JoeInMN

Vostok 1

• Loc: Minneapolis, MN, USA

Posted 07 January 2019 - 04:45 PM

Looks nice. Until you get an eyepiece tray, at least run some cord or something between the tripod legs to keep them from splaying outward and collapsing the rig if the feet slip or somebody bumps the tripod in the dark...

#10 Dwight J

Dwight J

Gemini

• Loc: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada

Posted 07 January 2019 - 04:51 PM

I have one of these scopes and mounts.  The mount tracks very well but as mentioned about the limit with this scope.  I upgraded the focuser and added a 50 mm finder.  My mirror was pinched in the cell on arrival but easily fixed.  As well, not the greatest mirror but fine for lower power which the F5 focal ratio is intended for.  

#11 Gashog

Gashog

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 January 2019 - 05:57 PM

Looks nice. Until you get an eyepiece tray, at least run some cord or something between the tripod legs to keep them from splaying outward and collapsing the rig if the feet slip or somebody bumps the tripod in the dark...

Thanks.

The spreader bars are there so I'll use a 1/4" wing nut and carriage bolt temporarily.

I was thinking about lamp or picture frame chain for my laser transit tripod.

Future project.

Here's the little missing screw.

p4uVDK7.jpg

I have one of these scopes and mounts.  The mount tracks very well but as mentioned about the limit with this scope.  I upgraded the focuser and added a 50 mm finder.  My mirror was pinched in the cell on arrival but easily fixed.  As well, not the greatest mirror but fine for lower power which the F5 focal ratio is intended for.  

Fixed how?

Did you have to cut the silicone away?

My heart sank when I saw the condition of the mirror but it actually cleaned up nicely.

Have no optical test equipment at the moment...except for my eyes.

I have a brand *spankin'* new SvBony 32 Plössl in it now. As soon as the weather clears I'll have a look around.

Thumb thingy;

9dbvKjj.jpg

Rubber;

JEdjj5q.jpg

#12 Dwight J

Dwight J

Gemini

• Loc: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada

Posted 07 January 2019 - 06:20 PM

Yes, cut away the silicon and released the mirror clips.  I then gently snugged the clips to hold the mirror as daintily as possible.  Only necessary if your stars are triangle shaped.  If they are round the mirror is mounted properly.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics