•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Penncrest Spotting Scope

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 busdrvr

busdrvr

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 January 2019 - 02:54 PM

I recently picked up a Penncrest vintage spotting scope.  It came in the original cardboard box with Styrofoam insert.  Color is a blue hammer-finish.  Made in Japan.  Has a OLD JCPenny price tag of $9.95.

It is a 20x-60x 60mm Zoom spotting scope; Lot number 626-6660 with no mention of a model number; 20 1/2" in length.  It has the original tripod and both lens dust caps.

I am looking for any info. I can find on this scope and hopefully a copy of the original owner's manual.  I have looked and have not had any luck online.

My dad rescued this scope from a guy at the dump who was getting ready to throw it out believe it or not.  Some people throw out some nice stuff.

Edited by busdrvr, 04 January 2019 - 08:09 PM.

#2 Astrolite

Astrolite

Ranger 4

• Loc: S. Central Pennsylvania

Posted 04 January 2019 - 04:55 PM

Does it look like the small army green scope in the foreground of the attached picture? If so they were Japanese made, I believe, in the 1960"s and re-branded by many importers. I have seen Pencrest, Focal and mine is a Tasco. I'm sure there were many others. I have not seen a users manual for them. Do a Google search for "Vintage Focal Spotting Scope" and you should find lots of information.

IMG_3055r.jpg

Edited by Astrolite, 04 January 2019 - 04:58 PM.

#3 busdrvr

busdrvr

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 January 2019 - 05:23 PM

Yes, it is made in Japan and looks identical to the tan scope in the foreground,  but is blue in color.  Looks like they may have been made by the same company and branded under different names as you mentioned.  I was hoping to find some info on how to clean the lenses and do's/don'ts of operation.

#4 Astrolite

Astrolite

Ranger 4

Posted 04 January 2019 - 06:36 PM

Welcome to Cloudy Nights by the way! You can find lots of good advice by searching the forums. Here is a good guide on cleaning optics. I've used a 50/50 blend of 91% isopropyl alcohol and hydrogen peroxide with great success.

http://www.televue.c...n=Advice&id=103

#5 busdrvr

busdrvr

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 January 2019 - 08:49 PM

Thanks for the link on the lens cleaning instructions.

The scope looks new and used little if at all; how would I know if the lens needs to be cleaned?  Can someone who has one explain how to disassemble for cleaning/servicing?  I don't know anything about optics, so any help appreciated. 

I'll try and get some pics posted this weekend.

Edited by busdrvr, 04 January 2019 - 08:50 PM.

#6 Astrolite

Astrolite

Ranger 4

Posted 04 January 2019 - 09:18 PM

I do not know how these come apart. Mine is very dirty and needs cleaning badly. I have seen pictures of these scopes with the dew shield removed, usually they screw off. I really don't know whether or not the lens cell screws off like they usually do on larger vintage scopes. Mine has resisted every effort to remove the dew shield. Even if you find an owners manual I doubt it will tell you how to take it apart.

That being said, if your scope looks to be in new condition I would highly recommend that you do not clean the lens. A little dust on the optics is of no concern and you always run the risk of damaging the lens coatings when cleaning. Cleaning should be a last resort.

• Russell Smith likes this

#7 busdrvr

busdrvr

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 January 2019 - 09:40 PM

I was able to remove the shield at the end of the scope that the large lens cover screw onto.  It screws onto the end of the scope to the right, while the large dust cap screws on to the left.  The image looked a little cloudy, but it is an overcast rainy day; I'll see what it looks like on a sunny day.  I guess if the lens does not look smudged or dirty, then it's probably fine and does not need to be cleaned.  I'll remove the dust with some compressed air.

#8 Astrolite

Astrolite

Ranger 4

Posted 05 January 2019 - 03:20 AM

Compressed air is NOT recommended! Canned air can spew chemicals onto your lens that will leave stains. Compressor air can leave droplets of water which will leave water stains. In either case you could wind up with a worse problem than you have now. If you really want to blow the dust off it is recommended to use an air blower bulb or ear syringe as in the links below.

https://www.bhphotov...ft=BI:514&smp=Y

https://www.amazon.c...231836590&psc=1

When viewing through the spotting scope start out with the magnification at its lowest setting, in this case 20x. Zoom scopes will always give the best view and focus easier at there lowest power. As you gradually increase the magnification you will need to tweak the focus. At the highest magnification, 60x, you will find it difficult, if not impossible to get a perfectly clear image. Also make sure you are not viewing through window glass. That will always degrade the image.

#9 Astrolite

Astrolite

Ranger 4

Posted 07 January 2019 - 06:45 AM

Found this on the internet. Probably the closest you will get to a user manual.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics