•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tele Vue eyepieces only

• Please log in to reply
350 replies to this topic

#1 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Soyuz

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Ajman - UAE

Posted 04 January 2019 - 05:53 PM

Hi again,

So this year as i said before i will start to collect eyepieces this time, and i know this eyepiece topic is as complicated or long debates/discussions as for example which telescope or camera or mount or even filter, so that i know i may end up with a lot of options so i am narrowing it regardless of price, and i will say i will only stay with Tele Vue, i don't want to go cheaper than TV eyepieces and also i will pass going with higher price/quality than TV as well, and let e give this kind of straightforward question.

Which 3-5 TV eyepieces will be your top choices all the time? And when i said 3-5 because i know some will come and say i like these 2 TV EPs the most then someone else will come to favorite another two, or maybe they will choose at least 1 as common, so it will be like there are at least 3 best favorite EPs, so to all of TV owners, what are your favorite most TV eyepieces you use?

I don't want to end up like some here with 8-20 eyepieces, and i want to build that TV EP list as i am also planning to buy a hard case that can accommodate TV eyepieces up to 5 only in addition to Powermate extenders maybe all of them, and please, put money or budget aside, don't tell me i am happy with ES or Baader EPs and i can't see much difference, from so many comments many said there is difference, so i will stay with TV, i will buy them very slowly anyway.

• Lewis Cason likes this

#2 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Viking 1

• Loc: Puget Sound

Posted 04 January 2019 - 05:55 PM

7mm DeLite, 9mm Nagler, 17mm Nagler.

• buddy ny likes this

#3 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Viking 1

• Loc: Puget Sound

Posted 04 January 2019 - 05:56 PM

I also really like the Powermates, they're a great way to double your eyepiece collection.

#4 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Soyuz

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 January 2019 - 05:57 PM

7mm DeLite, 9mm Nagler, 17mm Nagler.

Ok, here we go.

1. 7mm DeLite

2. 9mm Nagler

3. 17mm Nagler

I won't ask why you chose those and for which scope, but thank you very much!

#5 StarWolf57

StarWolf57

Viking 1

• Loc: Granada Hills (Los Angeles), CA

Posted 04 January 2019 - 05:58 PM

What scope(s) will you be using. Do you want wide field 82* - 100* EPs?

• Dave Mitsky and Jon Isaacs like this

#6 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Soyuz

• -----
  • topic starter

I also really like the Powermates, they're a great way to double your eyepiece collection.

I will buy them for visual and imaging, from what i read they are enough high quality that you feel they aren't there, not pricey, i have one, more will come soon too.

#7 Mike W

Mike W

Viking 1

• Loc: Upstate NY

Start with a Panoptic, I use a 27mm but 24 is fine. My other eyepieces are an 18mm Radian, 15 Delite, 10 Radian, 8 Radian and 6 Radian. You could make them all Delites if buying just new.

#8 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Soyuz

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 January 2019 - 06:00 PM

What scope(s) will you be using. Do you want wide field 82* - 100* EPs?

Yes, definitlely i want wide field [82-100 degrees]

Scopes? for now i have 8" F5 Newtonian and 7" Mak, but in the future there is a Dobsonian too, that will be anywhere of F3.5 up to F5 [16" up to 20"], so i will view anything, from planets to the moon and sun and DSO targets.

#9 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Soyuz

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 January 2019 - 06:02 PM

Start with a Panoptic, I use a 27mm but 24 is fine. My other eyepieces are an 18mm Radian, 15 Delite, 10 Radian, 8 Radian and 6 Radian. You could make them all Delites if buying just new.

Asking me to start with it, does it mean i will end up with it too? i just don't want to start with Panoptic now and then later if i buy Nagler or Ethos then i will ignore that Panoptic completely, but if this will not happen then i welcome Panoptic so much, just you know better than me if i buy one i won't let it go because of another, no need to start then upgrade later, just i want those that i really won't upgrade later and each has its own place or use.

Are there Radian versions from TeleVue? As i said, don't base the choices on the budget, base it on the quality and performance or say the logical wise choice from TV, Why i get DeLite if there is Nagler or Ethos or even Delos, hope you got my point.

Edited by TareqPhoto, 04 January 2019 - 06:04 PM.

#10 marcus_z

marcus_z

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: SE Germany

Posted 04 January 2019 - 06:04 PM

Ethos 21, 13, 8, 6 plus 2x Powermate.

• JimMo and mountain monk like this

#11 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Soyuz

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 January 2019 - 06:07 PM

Ok, the list getting bigger or growing faster than i think, great, that is the way.

1. 7mm DeLite

2. 9mm Nagler

3. 17mm Nagler

4. 21mm Ethos

5. 13mm Ethos

6. 8mm Ethos

7. 6mm Ethos

Later i will keep whatever and remove whatever so no overlapping.

Thank you very much for your post too

#12 areyoukiddingme

areyoukiddingme

Soyuz

Posted 04 January 2019 - 06:22 PM

It is difficult to limit the eyepiece number when you have F15 and F5 scopes.

FWIW, the best of the Ethos to my eye are the 3.7, 6, 10, and 17. The edges and contrast on the others is still excellent, but not quite as high as these.

Add a 31 Nagler for lowest power, and a barlow, and you should be pretty well covered. 

• Ryan555_1 likes this

#13 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 04 January 2019 - 06:26 PM

Most of my scopes are around F/5.  My first string eyepieces are all Televue.

I do like the 21mm, 13mm, 8 mm Ethos progression and adding the 6 mm would be helpful but even with a 2x Barlow, I'd want shorter focal lengths and longer lengths. I'd at least ad the 31 mm Nagler and the 4.7 Ethos. And I'd want to fill the holes between the 21mm and the 13 mm and particularly one between the 13 mm and the 8 mm,  

With a Newtonian, a Paracorr needs to be included.

But if I were building a set today, I would at least consider other manufacturers.. 

jon

#14 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Soyuz

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 January 2019 - 06:28 PM

It is difficult to limit the eyepiece number when you have F15 and F5 scopes.

FWIW, the best of the Ethos to my eye are the 3.7, 6, 10, and 17. The edges and contrast on the others is still excellent, but not quite as high as these.

Add a 31 Nagler for lowest power, and a barlow, and you should be pretty well covered. 

And that is why in my first post above as original i mentioned 3-5 eyepieces at most, just in case for different scopes as you said.

I have 2X Powermate and TV 3X Barlow, later i will add more of TV Powermates too, but i need to start with eyepieces one day sooner or later, Barlow isn't an issue at all, can buy them all one by one.

#15 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Soyuz

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 January 2019 - 06:31 PM

And the list will sound like as following:

1. 7mm DeLite

2. 9mm Nagler

3. 17mm Nagler

4. 21mm Ethos

5. 13mm Ethos

6. 8mm Ethos

7. 6mm Ethos

8. 31mm Nagler

9. Either 3.7mm or 4.7mm Ethos

#16 John O'Hara

John O'Hara

Viking 1

• Loc: Oil City, PA

Posted 04 January 2019 - 06:32 PM

It depends on which scope.  My primary eyepiece set is as follows: 

• 40 Pentax XL (no longer produced)
  • 30 TMB Paragon (no longer produced)
  • 20 mm Nagler T-5 (no longer produced)
  • 15 Celestron Axoim LX (no longer produced)
  • 13 TV Ethos
  • 11 Nagler T-6
  • 9 Nagler T-6
  • 7 Nagler T-6
  • 2.5 TeleVue Powermate

However, you've narrowed it down to the TV eyepieces, so I'll stick with those:

In my 12.5" f/5 scope, my most used eyepieces period are the TVs, the 3 most often in my focuser are the 20 Nagler, 13 Ethos, and 7 Nagler.  I've often spent the entire night using only those three.

In my 7" f/5.4, the most used TV eyepieces period is again, the TVs as follows: 20 Nagler, 13 Ethos, 11 Nagler, 9 Nagler, and the 11 Nagler with the Powermate.

In my 6" f/8 refractor, the most used TV eyepieces are the 20 Nagler, 13 Ethos, 9 Nagler and 7 Nagler.  However unlike the 7 inch and 12.5 inch scopes, I use the non-TV eyepieces a lot.  Namely, the 40 mm Pentax for the widest field, and the 15 Axiom with the Powermate for higher power.  

In my 100 mm f/9 ED refractor, the most used TV eyepieces are the 20 Nagler, 13 Ethos and 9 Nagler; however, as with the 6" f/8 refractor, I use other eyepieces to round out high and low power, some of them non-TV

I'm giving you this broad spectrum because much will depend on the aperture and focal ratio of the scope you're using.

#17 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Soyuz

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 January 2019 - 06:33 PM

So, what is the biggest/largest length of all those TV eyepieces? i want to calculate the hard case based on something like maximum length and minimum length of all TV eyepieces, i will try to have one that can go for minimum 4 eyepieces and 4 Powermate, if i end up with 6 or more eyepieces then i don't mind to separate them into 2 hard cases, but the list isn't finalized, so i will wait, i have long time or say whole year.

#18 Ken Sturrock

Ken Sturrock

Cardinal Ximénez - NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!

• Administrators
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 04 January 2019 - 06:34 PM

I have purposely avoided Ethos eyepieces because, I know that they are nice but, they are so expensive (to me) and I know that if I looked through them then I couldn't un-forget. Having said that, I only use TeleVues, just not top of the line versions.

My eyepiece collection, bought over the past ten years, is:

TV T6 Naglers: 3.5, 5, 7, 9, 11 and 13

TV Panoptics: 19 and 24

Of these, my favorite is the 13mm T6 Nagler.

If I were going to recommend three, it would be the 5mm, 13mm T6 Naglers and the 24mm Panoptic, but that'll depend on your instruments and interests. I have also owned a Nagler Zoom and a TV Plossl, but never took to them.

Good luck. You won't go wrong.

• Jon Isaacs, Edrow10 and Ronofthedead07 like this

#19 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Soyuz

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 January 2019 - 06:36 PM

It depends on which scope.  My primary eyepiece set is as follows: 

• 40 Pentax XL (no longer produced)
  • 30 TMB Paragon (no longer produced)
  • 20 mm Nagler T-5 (no longer produced)
  • 15 Celestron Axoim LX (no longer produced)
  • 13 TV Ethos
  • 11 Nagler T-6
  • 9 Nagler T-6
  • 7 Nagler T-6
  • 2.5 TeleVue Powermate

However, you've narrowed it down to the TV eyepieces, so I'll stick with those:

In my 12.5" f/5 scope, my most used eyepieces period are the TVs, the 3 most often in my focuser are the 20 Nagler, 13 Ethos, and 7 Nagler.  I've often spent the entire night using only those three.

In my 7" f/5.4, the most used TV eyepieces period is again, the TVs as follows: 20 Nagler, 13 Ethos, 11 Nagler, 9 Nagler, and the 11 Nagler with the Powermate.

In my 6" f/8 refractor, the most used TV eyepieces are the 20 Nagler, 13 Ethos, 9 Nagler and 7 Nagler.  However unlike the 7 inch and 12.5 inch scopes, I use the non-TV eyepieces a lot.  Namely, the 40 mm Pentax for the widest field, and the 15 Axiom with the Powermate for higher power.  

In my 100 mm f/9 ED refractor, the most used TV eyepieces are the 20 Nagler, 13 Ethos and 9 Nagler; however, as with the 6" f/8 refractor, I use other eyepieces to round out high and low power, some of them non-TV

I'm giving you this broad spectrum because much will depend on the aperture and focal ratio of the scope you're using.

And that is what i need exactly, so it sounds from TV your most used are 20mm, 13, 9, and 7mm, and because 20mm is out of production so it left with 13, 9, 7, no added already in the list, only remaining is 7mm Nagler.

#20 Keith NC

Keith NC

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Guilford County North Carolina

Posted 04 January 2019 - 06:38 PM

Did all my TV accumulating before intro of the Ethos, so consider my recommendations BE (before Ethos).

• 3-6 Nagler zoom a must
  • 13 Nagler T6 my favorite of the T6 series (have them all)
  • 31mm NT5 (although the weight occasionally can be a challenge)
  • 17 NT4.  I know not every one loves it so maybe consider me a statistical outlier ?

and rather than list everything I do love Pan 24mm as well

#21 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Soyuz

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 January 2019 - 06:40 PM

I have purposely avoided Ethos eyepieces because, I know that they are nice but, are so expensive and I know that if I looked through them then I couldn't un-forget. Having said that, I only use TeleVues, just not top of the line versions.

My eyepiece collection, bought over the past ten years, is:

TV T6 Naglers: 3.5, 5, 7, 9, 11 and 13

TV Panoptics: 19 and 24

Of these, my favorite is the 13mm T6 Nagler.

If I were going to recommend three, it would be the 5mm, 13mm and the 24mm Panoptic, but that'll depend on your instruments and interests. I have also owned a Nagler Zoom and a TV Plossl, but never took to them.

Good luck. You won't go wrong.

I have 100% no doubt about TV eyepieces of all models, and i can mix of them, i mean i can buy Nagler and Ethos, it doesn't have to be all Ethos or all Delos or all Nagler, if 2 or 3 of them are like say less than $500 each then i can buy both, but if one is like $600-800 then i buy that one only now, then later in several months  can get another, but good you told me that you don't take that zoom and Plossl, so i won't waste budget on them.

Thank you very much

#22 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Soyuz

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 January 2019 - 06:42 PM

Did all my TV accumulating before intro of the Ethos, so consider my recommendations BE (before Ethos).

• 3-6 Nagler zoom a must
  • 13 Nagler T6 my favorite of the T6 series (have them all)
  • 31mm NT5 (although the weight occasionally can be a challenge)
  • 17 NT4.  I know not every one loves it so maybe consider me a statistical outlier ?

and rather than list everything I do love Pan 24mm as well

I can add them to the list, although 2 of them i think are already in the list, now it is clearly that 13mm is a nice eyepiece of whatever model, i have a difficult time now to decide if i should go with Ethos version or Nagler one, and both are remarkable i know.

#23 Ken Sturrock

Ken Sturrock

Cardinal Ximénez - NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!

• Administrators
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 04 January 2019 - 06:50 PM

but good you told me that you don't take that zoom and Plossl, so i won't waste budget on them.

As always you should look for yourself if possible. I know it may not be easy for you.

While I didn't care for the Nagler Zoom or the Plossl line, many others (like Keith NC) *love* one, the other or both.

#24 Mike W

Mike W

Viking 1

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 04 January 2019 - 07:26 PM

Asking me to start with it, does it mean i will end up with it too? i just don't want to start with Panoptic now and then later if i buy Nagler or Ethos then i will ignore that Panoptic completely, but if this will not happen then i welcome Panoptic so much, just you know better than me if i buy one i won't let it go because of another, no need to start then upgrade later, just i want those that i really won't upgrade later and each has its own place or use.

Are there Radian versions from TeleVue? As i said, don't base the choices on the budget, base it on the quality and performance or say the logical wise choice from TV, Why i get DeLite if there is Nagler or Ethos or even Delos, hope you got my point.

At low powers (24mm, 27mm, 35mm, 41mm)I've never felt an 82deg. eyepiece was necessary. Which panoptic you choose would depend on what higher power eyepieces you go with. Obviously since Radians and Delites are not 82deg. eyepieces you can forget them. I choose the Radians and Delites because of the generous eye-relief, and don't like to look around to see the whole view. But that is MY preference and of course for you a Nagler at LEAST (82deg.) would be your starting point.

Edited by Mike W, 04 January 2019 - 07:27 PM.

• buddy ny likes this

#25 buddy ny

buddy ny

Ranger 4

• Loc: USA N.Carolina

Posted 04 January 2019 - 07:35 PM

Befor you buy an Ethos, get a Nagler of your choice. You might find 82dg FOV enough.
Personally.. I do find 82dg generous. Almost to much
Food for thought
Peace
B
  • Mike W likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics