•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What year is this Criterion rv-6 dynascope serial # 1105.

classic beginner
  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Trablp

Trablp

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 January 2019 - 10:43 PM

Friend bought a house and this telescope was left behind. Don't know much about these so looking for more information.

https://imgur.com/gallery/K6Ps0gv

#2 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 04 January 2019 - 10:49 PM

Any photos of the optics?

I believe the serial number on the tubes has nothing to do with the date; the date is marked on the motor drive which you have to open up. They stopped putting serial numbers on the tubes in the mid-70s.

Edited by Augustus, 04 January 2019 - 11:30 PM.

#3 Trablp

Trablp

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 January 2019 - 10:58 PM

https://imgur.com/gallery/wbNGdL3

House was in the same condition as the telescope ... Here's a few other pictures I have.

#4 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 January 2019 - 11:00 PM

https://imgur.com/gallery/wbNGdL3

House was in the same condition as the telescope ... Here's a few other pictures I have.

Those thingies in the first photo have nothing to do with the scope.

Do you have any pictures of the mirrors?

#5 Trablp

Trablp

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 January 2019 - 11:10 PM

Sorry have no clue on specific parts you're wanting to see. Here's some more pictures of the motor? Looks like a timer though and almost looks as if it was changed? 

Motor https://imgur.com/gallery/THa60QT

#6 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 January 2019 - 11:13 PM

Sorry have no clue on specific parts you're wanting to see. Here's some more pictures of the motor? Looks like a timer though and almost looks as if it was changed? 

Motor https://imgur.com/gallery/THa60QT

I may be incorrect but it appears it's from 1964.

The tube is open at the front. A photo showing the mirror, looking down the tube, would help a lot.

#7 Trablp

Trablp

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 January 2019 - 11:20 PM

Does this help ?

Glass https://imgur.com/gallery/IBecL0v

#8 JamesMStephens

JamesMStephens

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hattiesburg, Mississippi

Posted 04 January 2019 - 11:21 PM

I think it's in pretty good shape, you definitely can work with it.  Provided the primary mirror (the big six inch diameter mirror at the bottom of the tube) is OK.  A lot of people on this site would love to restore that telescope.

Edited by JamesMStephens, 04 January 2019 - 11:22 PM.

• Augustus likes this

#9 Trablp

Trablp

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 January 2019 - 11:26 PM

Any idea of costs for restoring or a possible link to a parts list ? Completely new to this  any recommended vendors? 

#10 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 January 2019 - 11:32 PM

Looks like the mirror is alright.

First, you need eyepieces. A 32mm Plossl (GSO or Celestron), a 20mm Plossl (GSO or Celestron), and 9mm & 6mm "gold-lines" off eBay would be a good start.

A Telrad or Rigel Quickfinder to replace the near-useless included finderscope would be good too.

For all of that you're looking at $130 or so.

As for repainting/repairing, I'd guess you're looking at another $100 at least.

My RV6 is one of my favorite scopes ever, and they beat the pants off a modern 6" Chinese scope. I would highly recommend restoring it.

• BarabinoSr likes this

#11 Trablp

Trablp

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 January 2019 - 11:59 PM

Thank you! Any recommendations on places to buy parts?

#12 JamesMStephens

JamesMStephens

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 05 January 2019 - 12:06 AM

I think the scope could probably use some work, but I'll bet it's usable as is. Does the focusing mechanism work?  Do you have any eyepieces?  if you don't have any eyepieces get one https://tinyurl.com/y9vlf9rh, maybe a 20 or 25 mm from this line

Before you think about restoring anything make sure you familiarize yourself with how a Newtonian telescope works.  Try to use the scope as is, and don't do anything foolish like trying to clean the optics.  I think they're clean enough (even though dusty!) for you to see plenty.

Before you even think about cleaning the optics (the primary and secondary mirrors and the finder scope lens) take a look at this 

https://www.skyandte...or-your-optics/

Jim

• Augustus likes this

#13 pierce

pierce

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Cruz, CA

Posted 05 January 2019 - 12:29 AM

make sure that focuser is 1.25" in diameter where the eyepieces fit in....   some older scopes used 0.965" eyepieces which are unobtanium any more.

#14 Gil V

Gil V

Apollo

• -----

Posted 05 January 2019 - 08:58 AM

Someone took care of that scope, because no RV primary ever left that shop with a center dot.

That scope is in great shape. Easily restored.

Edited by Gil V, 05 January 2019 - 08:59 AM.

#15 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

• Loc: Willis, TX

Posted 05 January 2019 - 09:41 AM

There is not a lot that needs to be done to enjoy using this scope.  A general cleaning is probably in order.  As others have mentioned, get some good advice here before even considering cleaning the optics (mirrors). 

This is a pretty simple scope and can be broken down easily for a thorough cleaning or even repainting.  Folks here can guide you from simple cleaning to full-on restoration (which is pretty easy with this scope).  I'd probably do a thorough cleaning and start with that as well as some VERY minor lubing of some parts.

You will need some eyepieces.  Lots of choices there.  Criterion eyepieces come up from time to time for sale, or there are plenty of aftermarket eyepieces available (I wouldn't worry about having Criterion eyepieces if you are just wanting to enjoy it).  I'd leave the finder scope in place.  It's fine.

#16 JamesMStephens

JamesMStephens

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 05 January 2019 - 12:22 PM

make sure that focuser is 1.25" in diameter where the eyepieces fit in....   some older scopes used 0.965" eyepieces which are unobtanium any more.

These were 1.25".

• Augustus likes this

#17 deepwoods1

deepwoods1

Apollo

Posted 05 January 2019 - 06:29 PM

Looks like a nice find! Do you have any Astronomy clubs nearby? If so, I’m sure you can find help there.

#18 rcwolpert

rcwolpert

Vanguard

• Loc: South Hutchinson Island, Florida

Posted 08 January 2019 - 11:33 AM

I had a 1964 RV-6. The knobs on the rings that secure the OTA looked nothing like those. I just had wing nuts. Must be an after market addition. This would be fun to restore!

#19 pierce

pierce

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Cruz, CA

Posted 12 January 2019 - 10:11 PM

man, I wish I could find the recordings, I taped Prine circa 2000 or so at the Strawberry Music Festival, putting on the performance of his life....   he'd been there a couple years earlier and put on a really weak performance, he obviously wasn't feeling well, a few weeks later they discovered he had throat cancer.      when he came back in '00 (?), the cancer was gone or in remission or whatever and he totally knocked it out of hte park, played a nearly 2 hour set, alternately solo and with a backing guitarist.    his voice was deeper and a little more gravelly than it had been before the cancer, but he adapted quite to it nicely 

#20 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Vendors
  • Loc: Athens, Georgia, USA

Posted 12 January 2019 - 10:19 PM

The book All About Telescopes, by Sam Brown, will tell you what all the parts are and how to use it.  (It's for people building similar telescopes from scratch.)  The only thing he doesn't explain is the clutch in the Criterion motor drive... one of the last things you'll restore.  (For now, just don't use the motor drive.)  That telescope is a good match to mine, which was delivered September 1, 1970.  So that's its approximate date, although it could be off by several years in either direction.

• JamesMStephens and Augustus like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: classic, beginner

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics