•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Road Trip for 5" Jaegmunds

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Peter B

Peter B

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Parker, Colorado

Posted 05 January 2019 - 12:20 PM

So a buddy of mine and I drove to Kansas City this week to pick up the 5" Jaegmunds scope that I purchased off of Ebay. Thought I would post a few pictures.WholeScopeTripod.jpg

The lens is pretty dirty and might have some fungus issues.SmallLens.jpg

The mount is missing the RA gear/collar, I wonder if that could be replaced.  The spacers for the setting circles are missing and/or split. I don't recall seeing Edmund mounts in this brown color although the collar on the Dec. axis is grey. The tripod legs are very heavy as is the entire mount.Mount1.jpg Motor.jpg Mount2.jpg Mount4.jpg Legs.jpg

Really big focuser on this scope with a press fit 1.25" adapter.Focuser.jpg

Overall, the OTA is in pretty good shape and the finder crosshairs are still intact.OTA.jpg

I think with a little clean up this might be an interesting find.

Edited by Peter B, 05 January 2019 - 12:21 PM.

• Jon Isaacs, Ron359, starman876 and 11 others like this

#2 Compressorguy

Compressorguy

Vanguard

• Loc: Clayton, NC

Posted 05 January 2019 - 08:23 PM

Congrats, looks to be in fantastic condition and should clean up very nicely.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#3 shredder1656

shredder1656

Apollo

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 05 January 2019 - 08:57 PM

Thanks, for posting. Very cool!

#4 clamchip

clamchip

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 05 January 2019 - 09:12 PM

That's a very desirable tripod head you've got there, from the absolute last of the gray wrinkle 1976-79

See how much taller it is than mine, it gets the drive up and out of the tripod legs.

Notice my mount has Bakelite circles and chrome clamp on pointers from the 1960's era, fiber circles

with white plastic pointers came next, with square section O-rings ether side of the circles to keep them

in place.

post-50896-14073928022946_thumb.jpg

• steve t, terraclarke and Bomber Bob like this

#5 bremms

bremms

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: SC

Posted 06 January 2019 - 09:36 AM

Very nice. 2" mirror diagonal and eyepiece and you will be in RFT nirvana. The 2.7" focuser is perfect for that application. it won't truncate the light cone.

#6 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 06 January 2019 - 09:40 AM

Peter:

It's a looker.  :goodjob:

The scope didn't happen to be located at 12th Street and Vine?  smile.gif

https://www.youtube....h?v=vE0T-EA1294

Jon

• Peter B likes this

#7 Peter B

Peter B

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 06 January 2019 - 10:06 AM

That's a very desirable tripod head you've got there, from the absolute last of the gray wrinkle 1976-79

See how much taller it is than mine, it gets the drive up and out of the tripod legs.

Notice my mount has Bakelite circles and chrome clamp on pointers from the 1960's era, fiber circles

with white plastic pointers came next, with square section O-rings ether side of the circles to keep them

in place.

attachicon.gif post-50896-14073928022946_thumb.jpg

I was wondering about the color of my mount...definitely brown. Does anyone know if this an option...it doesn't look like it was painted over. The focuser racks out quite a ways, I wonder if a binoviewer would work...5" f/5 with binoviewer, that could be pretty cool too!

#8 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• Loc: 39° 4' 19" N / 84° 28' 22" W

Posted 06 January 2019 - 10:50 AM

Congratulations! That is a very cool rig that should be very restorable with minimal effort and expense. I too love the vintage 2” diagonal. You don’t see a lot of those!

#9 apfever

apfever

Aurora

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 06 January 2019 - 11:28 AM

I've heard of Edmund brown and I've seen pictures, but haven't seen it in person and I've seen a lot of this type Edmund finish.  

I'll also be making some more of those rubber flat O rings that go on each side of the setting circles. I make extras.

I believe the upper mount parts, shaft housings, are the same as the 6" scopes.  This is another case of seeing Jaegers and Edmund completely cross hatched. It's been my personal thought that these may have come out of one assembly place for retail, that most likely being Jaegers. This one I have is a 6" cross, almost identical the OP pictures with the difference in the clock drive color - same texture. This mount didn't come with an Edmund OTA but I'm not sure which other 6" OTA it came with. I'd have to get them together for a pic and see if one is Jaegers - I wouldn't know by looking. 

I could explain this assembly - but why?

I have 3 different cells, one Edmund, and one of the two others I thihnk went on this.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1060003.JPG

• steve t, TOM KIEHL and Bomber Bob like this

#10 Peter B

Peter B

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 06 January 2019 - 03:24 PM

Nice looking mount there Neil, is that one of those new fangled Center-Balanced Equatorials? wink.gif   By the way, you don't happen to have any unused RA gears laying around there in your collection do you?

On another note, my lens cleaned up nicely... CleanLens.jpg

• steve t, ianatcn, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#11 apfever

apfever

Aurora

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 06 January 2019 - 04:14 PM

Nice looking mount there Neil, is that one of those new fangled Center-Balanced Equatorials? wink.gif   By the way, you don't happen to have any unused RA gears laying around there in your collection do you?

On another note, my lens cleaned up nicely... attachicon.gif CleanLens.jpg

I don't know what I have. There are some gears laying around but I don't know yet what they might go to if anything.  I believe they go to the beige colored Edmund great splayed leg fork mounts.

The Jeagers gear is a little different than the standard Edmunds. I haven't counted teeth or checked the mesh for fit.

#12 Peter B

Peter B

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 January 2019 - 05:22 PM

So I observed the eclipse last night with the scope and the views were pretty nice for an f/5 achromat.  Today I did an initial sanding of all three legs. Here's a couple of pictures showing two legs done and one not for comparison.  Can anyone tell what kind of wood they're made of from the pictures?  It seems fairly dense and hard wood, perhaps teak?

SmallLegs.jpg

• steve t, TOM KIEHL and Kasmos like this

#13 Peter B

Peter B

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 January 2019 - 05:24 PM

Here's another closer view of the legs. If they are teak, should I just use teak oil on them?

SmallLegs2.jpg

• steve t likes this

#14 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 January 2019 - 07:11 PM

Can anyone tell what kind of wood they're made of from the pictures? 

Cherry or more like Maple would be my guess .

#15 CharlieB

CharlieB

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Southern NH

Posted 21 January 2019 - 10:29 PM

Sure looks like maple to me.

Charlie

• TOM KIEHL likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics