•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Explore Scientific Truss Tube Dobsonian / Making it Better

DIY dob EAA NV reflector
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ICit2

ICit2

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 January 2019 - 12:33 PM

There are a couple of things a guy can easily do to improve the ES truss dob.  To better illustrate these ideas, I put together a YouTube video on Dakota Starry Nights that shows how to increase contrast as well as optimizing it for night vision, among other things. Clear Skies 

DSN ES Dob

• Cron and RefractoryTWO like this

#2 twhitman123

twhitman123

Sputnik

• Loc: North Carolina

Posted 06 January 2019 - 07:51 AM

Enjoyed your video, you suggest several ideas that upgrade the performance of the scope. Thanks for work.

#3 dongallo

dongallo

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Knoxville, TN

Posted 06 January 2019 - 08:48 AM

Thank you for producing and posting the video. Great tips and info that will help a lot of people.

#4 Javier1978

Javier1978

Apollo

• Loc: Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Posted 06 January 2019 - 10:07 AM

Great video. Loved the TeleVue dew shield! wink.gif

#5 Dana in Philly

Dana in Philly

Mariner 2

• Loc: Delaware Valley

Posted 06 January 2019 - 10:40 AM

Great stuff.

Loved the "red pill" solution for getting the trusses to hold still.

I've been pondering how to create a light shield for the UTA on my ES 10" truss dob too, so what you did was interesting. I may try a similar rolled material, but perhaps less fibrous, and try using glued hook-and-loop fasteners to adhere it around the UTA interior (or exterior, not sure yet).

Thanks for the ideas!

Edited by Dana in Philly, 06 January 2019 - 10:42 AM.

#6 ICit2

ICit2

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 06 January 2019 - 12:46 PM

Great stuff.

Loved the "red pill" solution for getting the trusses to hold still.

I've been pondering how to create a light shield for the UTA on my ES 10" truss dob too, so what you did was interesting. I may try a similar rolled material, but perhaps less fibrous, and try using glued hook-and-loop fasteners to adhere it around the UTA interior (or exterior, not sure yet).

Thanks for the ideas!

Dana, I've recently came across this material that may suite your needs for the light shield: "Easy Bagger Lawn & Yard Bag Holder" available at dept stores like Walmart or Amazon.  It's essentially a thin black plastic sleeve that fits into a garbage bag to keep it open for easy filling.  May be worth a look.

And thank guys.  I'm glad folks are finding the video useful.smile.gif

• Dana in Philly likes this

#7 Dana in Philly

Dana in Philly

Mariner 2

• Loc: Delaware Valley

Posted 06 January 2019 - 12:49 PM

Dana, I've recently came across this material that may suite your needs for the light shield: "Easy Bagger Lawn & Yard Bag Holder" available at dept stores like Walmart or Amazon.  It's essentially a thin black plastic sleeve that fits into a garbage bag to keep it open for easy filling.  May be worth a look.

And thank guys.  I'm glad folks are finding the video useful.smile.gif

I'll check that out, thanks. Perhaps it's something that can be trimmed to the correct diameter, and then to a height about double the UTA's. I have a shroud arriving tomorrow from Shrouds by Heather, need to see how that attaches to the UTA first.

Edited by Dana in Philly, 06 January 2019 - 12:52 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics