•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Agema Optics anyone?

refractor
  • Please log in to reply
1646 replies to this topic

#1626 dryfly

dryfly

Mariner 2

• Loc: Maine

Posted 16 May 2024 - 10:33 AM

It looks like you have one heck of a telescope on your hands.  Enjoy!

Mike

#1627 French astro

French astro

Explorer 1

• Loc: Paris

Posted 16 May 2024 - 11:11 AM

2 words - Ed Trigubov. I didn't even doubt that it would be something similar, despite the large number of skeptics.

Absolutely, I would even say despite the large number of skeptic

• Jeff Morgan, weis14, rainycityastro and 2 others like this

#1628 rainycityastro

rainycityastro

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Kirkland, WA

Posted 16 May 2024 - 05:42 PM

That looks nearly perfect!  Congrats on a fantastic scope.

#1629 nofung

nofung

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Hong Kong

Posted 16 May 2024 - 08:21 PM

That honestly looks fantastic. 

Looks like slightly better in the red and green which means these are for visual? Either way, impressive IMHO.

Is this the 130?

Yes, the diameter of the aperture is 130mm. I personally think the Strehl ratios for blue, green, and red seem to align well with Agema's claims as depicted in their Strehl ratio graph.

For the test, i used a single-sided, non-coated optical flat and a 5 lines/mm grating. 

• jrazz likes this

#1630 RichA

RichA

Voyager 1

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 16 May 2024 - 09:08 PM

green and red images.

A zone appears visible in the outer 80 percent zone.  The effect is visible in the bands and the "null" image.  Colour on the polychromatic images seems very well-controlled.  

#1631 Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 May 2024 - 10:33 AM

Dark horses catch my attention.

In the beginning of my journey, of looking for a larger refractor, As I said someone mentioned Agema.  The dark horse. Skeptical, maybe, curious, definitely. The more I researched Agema, curiosity changed coarse, confidence emerged. After emails and later meeting Ed and Lana trust reigned supreme.   Now that scope sits on my mount and I use it every chance I get.  I admit I have not had many chances as of late.  This is one of the finest scopes I have ever owned.

In closing I'd like to add a third word to those two previously mentioned.  Lana & Eduard Trigubov

Joe

• M44, Heywood, Aleksandr Naumov and 3 others like this

#1632 BWAZ

BWAZ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 17 May 2024 - 12:27 PM

My name finally came up on top for a sd150, cannot wait for it's arrival this fall, hopefully wink.gif

Edited by BWAZ, 17 May 2024 - 12:29 PM.

• Jeff Morgan, Jeff B, M44 and 5 others like this

#1633 French astro

French astro

Explorer 1

• Loc: Paris

Posted 17 May 2024 - 04:24 PM

The more I researched Agema, curiosity changed coarse, confidence emerged. After emails and later meeting Ed and Lana trust reigned supreme.   Now that scope sits on my mount and I use it every chance I get.  I admit I have not had many chances as of late.  This is one of the finest scopes I have ever owned.

In closing I'd like to add a third word to those two previously mentioned.  Lana & Eduard Trigubov

Joe

A telescope is not only a scalpel, a surgical weapon, as my TSA can be, it is also a story, a desire, an adventure and a passion. In a word, A magic. Isn't astronomy after all a matter of emotion?

• Scott99, dawnpatrol and Aleksandr Naumov like this

#1634 Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 May 2024 - 06:51 PM

A telescope is not only a scalpel, a surgical weapon, as my TSA can be, it is also a story, a desire, an adventure and a passion. In a word, A magic. Isn't astronomy after all a matter of emotion?

French Astro,

Astronomy is a hobby, to me, and I can go as far as I want within it, viewing and imaging.  The telescope is one of many instruments used in astronomy, yes, each telescope has a story behind it / from the builder, and also tells a story to me every night I use it. A magnifying glass to the universe.   I get to see what 130mm of good glass allows me to see of this creation in all it's splendor.

My trust and confidence came from and is with the builders of my equipment, long before it was delivered to my doorstep. I gained confidence in and trusted the Nagler's, Catalin and Pal, Jim R Jr, Ed and Lana, the Bisque brothers, the people at Moravian Instruments, Joe Nastasi, now I have the utmost respect for them.   I know them, they know me.

Emotions are personal.   I get emotional when I am at a star party and someone for the first time looks through the scope and says "WOW", or when I look through the scope and see something different or for the first time in a long time.  I say " Thank you God for letting me see this".

That's what I think and who I am.   Joe

• Jeff Morgan, Retentive, dawnpatrol and 8 others like this

#1635 Scott99

Scott99

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: New England

Posted 18 May 2024 - 10:31 AM

Yes!  I used to feel the same reverence for skis - sitting in the basement worshipping them in the summer months. 

Skis and telescopes are things that magically transport me into other realms...one lets you step off the side of a mountain and fly at 80 mph, the other is a spaceship that can take your beyond the mortal realms of earth-bound existence bow.gif bow.gif

Edited by Scott99, 18 May 2024 - 10:32 AM.

• lwbehney and French astro like this

#1636 lwbehney

lwbehney

Apollo

Posted 18 May 2024 - 12:07 PM

Telescopes let us explore the frontier and a fine telescope is akin to having a fine space ship doing its very best for you. 

• Scott99, Aleksandr Naumov and French astro like this

#1637 lwbehney

lwbehney

Apollo

Posted 26 May 2024 - 07:38 PM

This is a question probably better directed to Agema Optics, but I have noticed that there is quite a bit of excitement surrounding the slightly longer focal ratio of the SD 120. The SD 180 is an f/9 design and I am curious to know if others think that there would be a market for f/9 Agema telescopes in the 130 and 150 apertures?

In another thread, there are imagers lamenting the fact that AI capabilities will make processing skills obsolete. Imaging has brought a lot of people into amateur astronomy and some will become attracted to visual enjoyment of their telescopes. 
Do you think that Agema could produce their telescopes at a faster rate if they relaxed the focal ratio?

#1638 weis14

weis14

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Midland, MI

Posted 26 May 2024 - 08:17 PM

This is a question probably better directed to Agema Optics, but I have noticed that there is quite a bit of excitement surrounding the slightly longer focal ratio of the SD 120. The SD 180 is an f/9 design and I am curious to know if others think that there would be a market for f/9 Agema telescopes in the 130 and 150 apertures?

In another thread, there are imagers lamenting the fact that AI capabilities will make processing skills obsolete. Imaging has brought a lot of people into amateur astronomy and some will become attracted to visual enjoyment of their telescopes. 
Do you think that Agema could produce their telescopes at a faster rate if they relaxed the focal ratio?

I don't think there is much of a market for a 150mm f/9 telescope any longer.  That would be a big, heavy beast and probably wouldn't ride well on a G11 class mount.  That means that you are in the next higher (Titan, AP1100, etc.) class mount and not really portable any longer.  Once you've moved the mount class up to the AP1100 and accepted that you probably need to be permanently mounted, I don't see much of a reason to pick the 150 f/9 over the 180 other than cost.  And, if you are buying a hypothetical SD-150 f/9 at $10k, an AP1100 to put it on at $11k, pier, observatory, etc., you probably don't care that much about the additional cost to get a SD-180.

• Jeff Morgan, M44, fmasa and 2 others like this

#1639 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted Yesterday, 01:01 AM

For a manufacturer, it is a case of "build it long, and they won't come".

Not just the imagers want fast refractors - the guys with cases full of Ethos and Naglers want them fast too. (Though they are thinking more in terms of true field and exit pupils.)

The Tele Vue Petzvals were wildly popular for visual astronomers. How many wildly popular f/9 refractors out there? Even Roland Christen gave up on f/9 three decades ago. If he can't sell them ...

• Mr. Mike likes this

#1640 Mr. Mike

Mr. Mike

Gemini

• Loc: Churchville, NY

Posted Yesterday, 06:40 AM

Not just the imagers want fast refractors - the guys with cases full of Ethos and Naglers want them fast too. (Though they are thinking more in terms of true field and exit pupils.)

The Tele Vue Petzvals were wildly popular for visual astronomers. How many wildly popular f/9 refractors out there? Even Roland Christen gave up on f/9 three decades ago. If he can't sell them ...

Yah, it feels like refractors have a sweet spot around F6 or maybe F7 for all around use.  Even F5 if the glass is up to the task.  For super high magnification I’d suspect you can just get a Mak Cass or an SCT.  

• Peter Natscher likes this

#1641 norvegicus

norvegicus

Soyuz

• Loc: en route

Posted Yesterday, 11:23 AM

I want an f/10 big refractor.

#1642 betacygni

betacygni

Mercury-Atlas

Posted Yesterday, 11:34 AM

The LZOS 130 f9.2 comes to mind. The two runs of the Tak FC100DL sold out. The Skywatcher 100ED f9 also seemed fairly popular over the years.

I suspect the biggest reason we don’t see them often is the manufacturer suggesting an f9 version would be optically better (which it should be at a given price point) would undercut their sales of faster scopes. Similar to why test reports are rarely included anymore. Everyone who bought an f7 version wouldn’t be happy.

Edited by betacygni, Yesterday, 11:36 AM.

• dryfly and norvegicus like this

#1643 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted Yesterday, 02:39 PM

The LZOS 130 f9.2 comes to mind. The two runs of the Tak FC100DL sold out. The Skywatcher 100ED f9 also seemed fairly popular over the years.

I suspect the biggest reason we don’t see them often is the manufacturer suggesting an f9 version would be optically better (which it should be at a given price point) would undercut their sales of faster scopes. Similar to why test reports are rarely included anymore. Everyone who bought an f7 version wouldn’t be happy.

Well, good catch. There are still a very few. So the guys pining for long apochromats have a solution. All they have to do is pull out the credit cards.

Seriously, these really are specialty items (like true planetary eyepieces). Great products yes, but only good for a few runs before the niche saturates. 

Edited by Jeff Morgan, Yesterday, 02:40 PM.

• betacygni likes this

#1644 Peter Natscher

Peter Natscher

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Central Coast California

Posted Yesterday, 04:09 PM

Well, good catch. There are still a very few. So the guys pining for long apochromats have a solution. All they have to do is pull out the credit cards.

Seriously, these really are specialty items (like true planetary eyepieces). Great products yes, but only good for a few runs before the niche saturates. 

I contacted Catalin at CFF Optics yesterday asking about any plans to resume production of their 160 f/8 oiled triplets.  He's planning on starting a new run of them in early 2025 after CFF settles down on their new location in Oz.  I'm interested in this.

• Jeff Morgan, weis14 and norvegicus like this

#1645 bobhen

bobhen

Cosmos

Posted Yesterday, 04:29 PM

I want an f/10 big refractor.

HERE you go.

200mm F11 TEC apo doublet. Just make sure you have $29,000 in your checking account when you write the check.

Bob

• Northern Jeff likes this

#1646 norvegicus

norvegicus

Soyuz

• Loc: en route

Posted Yesterday, 05:53 PM

HERE you go.

200mm F11 TEC apo doublet. Just make sure you have $29,000 in your checking account when you write the check.

Bob

If I didn't already have an SD-150 on the way...

• Aleksandr Naumov likes this

#1647 bobhen

bobhen

Cosmos

Posted Today, 04:57 AM

If I didn't already have an SD-150 on the way...

You said you wanted BIG!

Seriously though, congrats on the "small" 150 finder scope!

Bob

Edited by bobhen, Today, 04:58 AM.

• norvegicus likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics