•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Advice to buy a Dobsonian.

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#51 alexantos

alexantos

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Estoril, Portugal

Posted 10 January 2019 - 09:26 PM

News update,

I get the Bresser 8" Dob for 340€ (shipping included)

I get the SW 8" Dob for 332,80€ (shipping included)

The price is almost the same so it's not an issue.

I found out that Bresser is Explore Scientific in USA

Based on this I found excellent topics here, here, here and here which are very clarifying.

So, and after all this reading and all those excellent advices, I'm almost decided to buy the Bresser, mainly because of the Focuser, the Mount and the Large Altitude Bearings with Tube Rings, which allow to adjust height and rotation, to a more comfortable viewing.(on the SW you just can't do this on his mount)

Any cons you can say to discourage me from making the buy?

#52 Ranger Tim

Ranger Tim

Apollo

• Loc: SW Idaho, USA

Posted 10 January 2019 - 11:32 PM

On the plus side, if you ever decide to get a german equatorial mount you can easily dismount the tube from the dob rings and switch mounts. If you progress in the hobby, it will happen. I like how the dob base comes apart too. Seems like this scope would do really well in the US. Wonder why we have not seen it?

See if you can get familiar with either SkySafari or other planetarium program. You may like the Sky And Telescope Pocket Sky Atlas. I like the Jumbo edition. Spend some energy learning the sky before beginning any more equipment research. Your next part of the journey is going to be really rewarding!

edit: Just found it on ES’s site here in the USA. It is supplied with a dovetail and a cell phone adapter (for pictures). The price is higher here from standard Astro vendors but discounted from others. Sounds like a very flexible option for a beginner scope from a reliable maker. What’s not to like at this price? I think f/6 Newtonians at this aperture are excellent visually, and this one has a decent focuser that I might just be able to live with.

Edited by Ranger Tim, 10 January 2019 - 11:51 PM.

• ShaulaB and alexantos like this

#53 alexantos

alexantos

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 January 2019 - 11:48 PM

On the plus side, if you ever decide to get a german equatorial mount you can easily dismount the tube from the dob rings and switch mounts. If you progress in the hobby, it will happen. I like how the dob base comes apart too. Seems like this scope would do really well in the US. Wonder why we have not seen it?

See if you can get familiar with either SkySafari or other planetarium program. You may like the Sky And Telescope Pocket Sky Atlas. I like the Jumbo edition. Spend some energy learning the sky before beginning any more equipment research. Your next part of the journey is going to be really rewarding!

Hi Tim,

I use Stellarium.

I look at the sky a lot with my binoculars and I can track and identify already some DSO's. I'm looking forward to see them through a telescope...

Thanks again.

#54 Recretos

Recretos

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Slovenia, Pohorje hill, 1050m altitude

Posted 11 January 2019 - 12:38 AM

Any cons you can say to discourage me from making the buy?

Not really. Both will give you equally pleasing views, which is the most important thing. And both will make you hungry for a 12"er in about a year. :D
  • ShaulaB likes this

#55 Bjorg63

Bjorg63

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Bucks County Pennsylvania

Posted 11 January 2019 - 06:16 AM

You've completed your research on scopes and you like the Bresser for certain features. You should get it. Most times certain features of one scope sway your decisions. It does for me on every astronomy purchase. Buy it and enjoy the great views.

#56 SeaBee1

SeaBee1

Gemini

• Loc: Under the DFW light barrier

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:58 AM

Get the Bresser. Looks like a good package and the price seems good for what you get.

Don't hesitate... 'Nuff said...

CB

#57 alexantos

alexantos

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:22 PM

It's done!

It will arrive Tuesday or Wednesday.

I could'n have done it without you guys. I started with a 6" tabletop and ended with a 8" Dob for almost the same money and a bit less portability.

Amazing job.

Special thanks to: (and in no particular order)

Feidb, sg6, gene 4181, DNA7744, RKK, barbie, SeattleScott, Space Station #5, Starkid2u, Recretos, penguinx64, Bjorg63, spaceoddity, ignoro, Ranger Tim, Dave Mitsky and SeaBee1.

Also I would like to thank Portuguese astronomer Pedro Ré and Portuguese astrobiologist Carlos Oliveira for their advices.

Clear skies to you all.

gallery_304439_10528_99760.jpg

gallery_304439_10528_31850.jpg

gallery_304439_10528_76523.jpg

gallery_304439_10528_48612.jpg

Edited by alexantos, 11 January 2019 - 10:41 PM.

• rowdy388, rnc39560, SeaBee1 and 2 others like this

#58 SeaBee1

SeaBee1

Gemini

Posted 12 January 2019 - 08:57 AM

Oi... that's a dandy! I think you are gonna love love love that scope!

Be sure and post your first light experience here!

CB

• alexantos likes this

#59 alexantos

alexantos

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 January 2019 - 02:28 PM

Oi... that's a dandy! I think you are gonna love love love that scope!

Be sure and post your first light experience here!

CB

Yeah, I hope so...

The weather forecast for next week here in Portugal is not so auspicious... But surely I will let you know how soon as I can.

We have a saying "Há mais marés que marinheiros" , in english "There are more tides than sailors", which means:

Don't get sad upon this lost opportunity, you'll have another, and another, and another...

Take care.

• SeaBee1 likes this

#60 DNA7744

DNA7744

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Big Bear Lake, CA

Posted 13 January 2019 - 05:28 PM

Glad you got the 8" and not the table top!  You will love it!  Next...save for a wide field 2" eyepiece (suggest 32 mm)...the views will be amazing!

#61 alexantos

alexantos

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 January 2019 - 05:20 PM

Glad you got the 8" and not the table top!  You will love it!  Next...save for a wide field 2" eyepiece (suggest 32 mm)...the views will be amazing!

Do you mean one like this?

• Dana in Philly likes this

#62 DNA7744

DNA7744

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Big Bear Lake, CA

Posted 14 January 2019 - 06:06 PM

Do you mean one like this?

Yes Exactly!  I purchased an Orion Q70 32 mm widefield 2" eyepiece...and it is just what you need to observe (or find your way) your targets.  Great views with this eyepiece of M31 (Andromeda Galaxy-fills the eyepiece), M42 (Orion Nebula, M81, M82 Galaxies near Ursa Major (the Big Dipper) etc, etc.  You can then use your other eyepieces that come with your scope to "zoom-in" on your target for more detail.

Edited by DNA7744, 14 January 2019 - 06:19 PM.

#63 Ranger Tim

Ranger Tim

Apollo

• Loc: SW Idaho, USA

Posted 14 January 2019 - 11:26 PM

I am watching this purchase since I am often asked which scope to buy for a beginner. This one ticks off a bunch of positive features. Let us know once you have begun using it how you feel about the way it handles, how smooth it moves, how stable it is, etc.

• alexantos likes this

#64 alexantos

alexantos

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 January 2019 - 11:49 PM

I am watching this purchase since I am often asked which scope to buy for a beginner. This one ticks off a bunch of positive features. Let us know once you have begun using it how you feel about the way it handles, how smooth it moves, how stable it is, etc.

(Just came from a Steven Wilson rockon.gif show. Amazing! Anyway, this have nothing to do with astronomy and telescopes...)

But of course Tim, I will post all my first impressions. After all the help I got from everyone, that's the least I can do.

Probably during next weekend I will start posting about it.

Take care.

#65 alexantos

alexantos

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 January 2019 - 07:35 PM

Bad news...

The mount has already arrived, but the OTA only Monday. frown.gif ohmy.gif 

There goes the 20-21 lunar eclipse...bawling.gif

• SeaBee1 likes this

#66 N3p

N3p

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 18 January 2019 - 08:04 PM

This is astronomy, you build expectation then you are disappointed but when you get an incredible night of observation the memories remains, perhaps forever. It's true, it's like being addicted to opium lol. 

• alexantos likes this

#67 SeaBee1

SeaBee1

Gemini

Posted 18 January 2019 - 09:33 PM

Bad news...

The mount has already arrived, but the OTA only Monday. frown.gif ohmy.gif

There goes the 20-21 lunar eclipse...bawling.gif

All is not lost if you have binoculars. Some will even say that the eclipse will look as good or better through binos. And if nothing else, your MarkII eyeballs won't be half bad...

• alexantos likes this

#68 alexantos

alexantos

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 January 2019 - 06:32 PM

All is not lost if you have binoculars. Some will even say that the eclipse will look as good or better through binos. And if nothing else, your MarkII eyeballs won't be half bad...

Yeah, I know what you mean.

But it would be nice to have a "first light session" with a lunar eclipse...

I still have my eyes and my binos, and hopefully, clear skies.

Take care.

• SeaBee1 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics