•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sky Watcher 120 or ES 127?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#26 bob midiri

bob midiri

Soyuz

• Loc: pa 19320

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:18 PM

I had both SW ed 120 and ES 127 triplet original at same time. I still own the SWed 120!

• Jon_Doh and RefractoryTWO like this

#27 reddog1972

reddog1972

Mariner 2

• Loc: Northern NJ

Posted 11 January 2019 - 05:20 PM

I've owned both the ES127 FCD1 and ES127 CF FC100 and the difference between the two is night and day (pun intended)!  The FCD100 glass and the weight differential makes a huge difference in performance.... I plan on keeping the ES127CF FCD100 for a very long time.... can't speak to the SW120, but ES has a tremendous reputation for customer service and that goes a long way in my book.

• RefractoryTWO likes this

#28 Peter Besenbruch

Peter Besenbruch

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Oahu

Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:03 PM

My CG-5 has the Orion pier extension, which allows the legs to be fully retracted. It's quite stable with the ED127.

That pier extension sure is handy with a refractor. The CG-5 is more stable when working without it. I found that out when working with the 180mm Maksutov. It damps more quickly with the pier gone, and the tripod legs raised. That said, with the 120mm damp times were under a second.

#29 precaud

precaud

Skylab

• Loc: north central New Mexico

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:12 PM

That pier extension sure is handy with a refractor. The CG-5 is more stable when working without it. I found that out when working with the 180mm Maksutov. It damps more quickly with the pier gone, and the tripod legs raised. That said, with the 120mm damp times were under a second.

I wont be using the Mak on the CG-5 with extender. Only the ED127. I am skeptical that, with a 5" frac mounted at equal heights, the CG5 is more stable sans pier than with it.

#30 Peter Besenbruch

Peter Besenbruch

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Oahu

Posted 12 January 2019 - 01:42 AM

... I am skeptical that, with a 5" frac mounted at equal heights, the CG5 is more stable sans pier than with it.

It sure  is with the Mak. I found that the base of the pier caused flex on the top of the tripod. The heavier the load on the top of the pier, the greater the flex.

• SteveG likes this

#31 RefractoryTWO

RefractoryTWO

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 January 2019 - 11:10 AM

Have you considered the AT115EDT or AT130EDT, higher quality focusers than the ES and I've never run across an owner that doesn't love theirs. Look for photos taken through them on Astrobin. 

Just started reading up on those AT scopes. Very appealing. Thanks for pointing me in that direction.

#32 rkaufmann87

rkaufmann87

Apollo

• Loc: Folsom, CA

Posted 12 January 2019 - 12:08 PM

Just started reading up on those AT scopes. Very appealing. Thanks for pointing me in that direction.

Your welcome, they're terrific scopes and often overlooked. Also, they are offered by our forum hosts (Astronomics), if you order mention you are a Cloudy Nights member and you will get a discount on your purchase. 

#33 mrpmark

mrpmark

Lift Off

• Loc: Michigan

Posted 12 January 2019 - 08:53 PM

A year and a half ago I was trying to make the same decision you are between the ES 127 ED APO and the SW 120 ED. My research said they both had excellent optics so I had to make a decision based on other things. I went with the ES 127. The reasons being the ES has a sliding dew shield, a rotatable focuser, a handle for carrying the telescope and mounting equipment on, 7mm more aperture, was a triplet (in case some day I decide to get into AP), a lower price (I bought new) and ES has excellent customer service. I already had an AVX mount so the weight of the scope wasn't an issue. I have not regretted my decision.

#34 mogur

mogur

Gemini

• Loc: WI

Posted 13 January 2019 - 05:02 PM

I think the focuser on the ES is superior to the SW also.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics