•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Green haze? on C11 secondary mirror

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 adamsdp

adamsdp

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 January 2019 - 09:04 PM

I have a CPC1100 and bright stars/planets all have a strong green tint to them.  I bought the scope used and it had a spot of clear goo like substance on the secondary.  i removed the corrector plate and cleaned the spot with a mixture of 50% alcohol and 50% distilled water.  The primary, secondary and corrector plate all look clean without any green tint to them under normal lighting.  The only thing I can think of is that there might be a thin film still left on the secondary that is causing the green tint to bright objects at the eyepiece.  If anyone has any advice on how to better clean the secondary or what else could be causing the green tint, please let me know.  Thank you.

Edited by adamsdp, 05 January 2019 - 09:04 PM.

#2 pkrallis

pkrallis

Vostok 1

• Loc: Colorado Springs, CO

Posted 06 January 2019 - 12:05 AM

Does it happen with all your EP?  If yes, then clean the secondary again and the corrector.  I hesitate suggesting mirror cleaning but I wonder if the previous owner did some cleaning or some thing and unknowingly mucked up the secondary  It's really hard to get something on a secondary except dust unless you open up an SCT

#3 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

• -----
  • Loc: British Columbia Canada

Posted 06 January 2019 - 03:17 PM

What does the secondary look like with your eye? Is there any green tint to it?

I'd suggest rinsing it again with just distilled water just to clean off any excess alcohol that may have been left on it.

Steve

#4 adamsdp

adamsdp

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 January 2019 - 09:27 PM

Thanks for the replies and I will examine the secondary, eyepiece and diagonal under a brighter light and reclean secondary if nothing obvious is seen.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics