•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Need new power supply for CPC 1100

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 adamsdp

adamsdp

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 January 2019 - 09:28 PM

I experienced a cord wrap problem that bent the plug which is causing intermittent power outages on the power supply for my CPC 1100 and wondering if the following would be a good choice  https://www.amazon.c...DKIKX0DER&psc=1

Are there any available with a long cable or something like an old style curled telephone handset cord to be more forgiving of cord wrap issues?  

#2 Neptune

Neptune

Apollo

• Loc: Georgia

Posted 05 January 2019 - 10:04 PM

I just purchased this one:

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's 12vdc, 4 amp should provide plenty of power.  I read that the CPC only draws about 2 amps when both axis are slewing. I tried it out today and works just fine.

David

#3 pkrallis

pkrallis

Mariner 2

• Loc: Colorado Springs, CO

Posted 05 January 2019 - 11:49 PM

Any 12 VDC 3 Amp or better should do the trick, but why don't you just replace the plug.  Celestron uses 5.5/2.1 mm as I recall and you can find the plug or even plug and cord at any well stocked electric supply house or Radio Shack type store.  Just make sure you have the tip positive after you wire it up and before you plug it into your CPC

#4 saguaro

saguaro

Viking 1

• Loc: Southern Arizona

Posted 06 January 2019 - 12:04 AM

I use this one. https://www.amazon.c...e/dp/B008CGBN3W

It’s got a 12 ft cord and is very well made. I think it’s better than the original Celestron power supply.

#5 Ryan555_1

Ryan555_1

Messenger

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 06 January 2019 - 12:41 AM

I use a battery setup. I like it better and no cordwrap issues. 

https://www.cloudyni...tery/?p=8327350

#6 Betelgeuse1958

Betelgeuse1958

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 06 January 2019 - 10:01 AM

Just to add my two cents, for my AVX mount I have gone with cheaper power supplies. First a 12V 5A, recommended for this mount, but now I am using a 10A so I have extra power for things like dew heaters, a red LED light string under the tripod for a bit of light during set up, etc. It's less than $25 and I have been very happy with it. 

https://www.amazon.c...lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Hope this helps. 

#7 adamsdp

adamsdp

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 January 2019 - 09:31 PM

Thanks for all the replies and some nice options for power.  About using dc, wondering how it eliminates the cord wrap?  Do you have a small battery you mount to the rotating part of the scope?  

#8 Migwan

Migwan

Apollo

• Loc: Meeechigan

Posted 07 January 2019 - 10:31 PM

Before replacing power supply or its plug, widen the plug inside CPC power in port.  It should have a little split center conductor that can be widened with a very small screw driver.  I have had to do this three or four times now.  Be careful.  Just need to spread the wings a little bit.  Celestron really needs to upgrade that power port for sure.

Battery power is the way to go.  Sits on the deck or can be velcroed to an arm if light enough.   No cord wrap so you can turn cord wrap off.    Talent cells are popular round here.  I use a 12Ah at 12v bienno LiFePO4 battery pack that sits on the deck.  I run 5 dew strips and the CPC on it.    There has been a lot of threads about battery packs to get.  Googling it works better than a local search and still brings you right back here.

I measured the load on a my CPC1100.  Non-slewing load is about 0.2A.  Around 1.7A slewing both alt and az at the same time.   6Ah at 12 volt will run a CPC for a decent night with out dew strips.  8Ah would be better.  Watch out for battery packs that have more than one voltage output.  They may claim 12Ah without telling you that is at the 5v USB port.   That's not enough at 12V.  Good luck.

jd

#9 Ryan555_1

Ryan555_1

Messenger

Posted 07 January 2019 - 11:51 PM

Here's the information about what I use, in case the link didn't work :

Hello guys/gals,

As an update, I have a setup that is working very nicely for me and my CPC edge. I thought I would share some info to save anyone some future trouble. (Photo to come.) Basically, all I had to do is purchase three items to make it work well:

1. TalentCell Rechargeable 72W 132WH 12V/11000mAh - note that the battery comes with a cord that is 2.1mm on one end and 2.5mm on the other. 
  2. Barrel Plug Adapter from 2.5mm to 2.1mm - the only reason that this is necessary is that the 5.5/2.1mm barrel that comes with the battery above--or really any standard DC 5.5/2.1mm cords--is not long enough to make a solid connection with the deep seated outlet in the CPC unit. I find this adapter the cheapest and best option. (I bought about five other cords and adapters and they all failed.)
  3. Self-adhesive velcro

Anyway, I hope this helps. It sure beats plugging into a wall outlet!

I will post a picture later when I have my telescope out. It is somehow raining tonight....in Phoenix....

Ryan 

Thanks for all the replies and some nice options for power.  About using dc, wondering how it eliminates the cord wrap?  Do you have a small battery you mount to the rotating part of the scope?  

Yes, it eliminates cord wrap since the battery and all connections can be attached to the arm or base that rotates with the OTA. I think it is the way to go. Migwan has some great advice too. My battery option (talentcell) is cheaper than his, I think, but his battery is heavy duty. Mine has been more than I need, but probably need more juice than me. 

Before replacing power supply or its plug, widen the plug inside CPC power in port.  It should have a little split center conductor that can be widened with a very small screw driver.  I have had to do this three or four times now.  Be careful.  Just need to spread the wings a little bit.  Celestron really needs to upgrade that power port for sure.

Battery power is the way to go.  Sits on the deck or can be velcroed to an arm if light enough.   No cord wrap so you can turn cord wrap off.    Talent cells are popular round here.  I use a 12Ah at 12v bienno LiFePO4 battery pack that sits on the deck.  I run 5 dew strips and the CPC on it.    There has been a lot of threads about battery packs to get.  Googling it works better than a local search and still brings you right back here.

I measured the load on a my CPC1100.  Non-slewing load is about 0.2A.  Around 1.7A slewing both alt and az at the same time.   6Ah at 12 volt will run a CPC for a decent night with out dew strips.  8Ah would be better.  Watch out for battery packs that have more than one voltage output.  They may claim 12Ah without telling you that is at the 5v USB port.   That's not enough at 12V.  Good luck.

jd

I didn't realize that fix with the power port. That's good to know. The problem in my experience is finding a plug that is deep enough for it. You are right it's a real weakness in the scope.

Btw, is there a way to turn off cordwrap permanently? I turn it off after every time I align the scope. It is a minor pain for me. It would be nice to set the default to off! 

#10 Migwan

Migwan

Apollo

• Loc: Meeechigan

Posted 08 January 2019 - 07:00 AM

Yes, it eliminates cord wrap since the battery and all connections can be attached to the arm or base that rotates with the OTA. I think it is the way to go. Migwan has some great advice too. My battery option (talentcell) is cheaper than his, I think, but his battery is heavy duty. Mine has been more than I need, but probably need more juice than me. 

I didn't realize that fix with the power port. That's good to know. The problem in my experience is finding a plug that is deep enough for it. You are right it's a real weakness in the scope.

Btw, is there a way to turn off cordwrap permanently? I turn it off after every time I align the scope. It is a minor pain for me. It would be nice to set the default to off! 

Yes, that power port is definitely a weak link.  Even if it doesn't cause a complete reboot on your alignment, it can throw it off due to the added resistance of a poor contact.  This manifests as a gradual loss of alignment unrelated to whether a target is near the zenith or the horizon.

I dug through all my old power supplies gained over the years and found a right angle 2.1 so it doesn't get bumped as much.  I also tape the wire to the deck next to the port so it doesn't get yanked on either.   If I wasn't such a klutz, maybe this would not be necessary, but I don't want to mess with those wings too much.  All said and done, the 1100 stays on target all night long now. 

That bienno pack is only 1Ah more than your Talentcell and I have run it couple of nights without recharge in the wilderness.  I bought it because it has a much flatter voltage curve and it is said to have twice the charge discharge cycles and shelf life.  Considering the price I might have gone overkill.  Those prices should start coming down as the number of producers goes up.  The Celestron power pack now has LiFePO4 cells in them.  Pretty sure Talentcells will offer them at some point.  Hopefully at a better price.

I have asked the same question about turning cord wrap staying off permanently.  Evidently not.  If Celestron would add that to update, that would be cool.  

jd 

#11 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 08 January 2019 - 07:33 AM

https://starizona.co...a-power-pack-ii

This power pack from Starizona is ideal for the CPC. Rides right on the based, works all night.

• Umasscrew39 likes this

#12 Ryan555_1

Ryan555_1

Messenger

Posted 08 January 2019 - 10:21 AM

This power pack from Starizona is ideal for the CPC. Rides right on the based, works all night.

That is a nice one too. I wish they had a couple extra ports, including one for USBs. Most people need to power more than just the scope. I don't even run any dew strips, but I still need two more plugs in my power supply (bluetooth to connect to skysafari and a plug for my TEMPest fans). 

#13 adamsdp

adamsdp

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 January 2019 - 09:44 PM

Thanks for the battery, power port and plug tips.  I will check the center of the port and see if it needs to be split a bit.  A lot of good battery options.

• Ryan555_1 likes this

#14 Umasscrew39

Umasscrew39

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 10 January 2019 - 05:26 AM

Get this one.  I've used mine for over 2 years and it runs all night like Mike said.  Complete no-brainer.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics