•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mak-Newt pics

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#51 jeffmac

jeffmac

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Triad area, NC

Posted 16 February 2019 - 08:21 PM

That MN86 is an impressive and imposing scope.  I didn't realize they were so heavy.  That's the same weight as a C14, and it's interesting to see it on what looks like an AP1200 (maybe 1100?).   

Are those rotatable rings?

I see many MN users have their scopes on alt-az configurations which would bypass the eyepiece positioning issue, except for altitude.    And some appear configured for photography where it doesn't matter.

GN

I have entertained the idea of buying a mak newt and putting it on a dob mount, since they can be somewhat heavy for their aperture. A good dob mount is not only sturdy, it usually is inexpensive.  smile.gif

#52 JohnH

JohnH

Gemini

• ****-
  • Loc: Squamish BC Moved!!!!!

Posted 17 February 2019 - 11:59 AM

I have entertained the idea of buying a mak newt and putting it on a dob mount, since they can be somewhat heavy for their aperture. A good dob mount is not only sturdy, it usually is inexpensive. smile.gif

A few people have gone that route. One problem you end up with is the corrector it makes the scope very top-heavy, much more so than a secondary cage spider and secondary mirror and focuser. And it will need a solid tube

#53 Larry Carlino

Larry Carlino

Sputnik

Posted 17 February 2019 - 05:36 PM

Here are a couple of photos of my Intes-Micro MN-86 - a rather heavy instrument but with wonderful optics.  It works nicely on my home-made Dob mount.  The tube rotation rings allow for the eyepiece to be in convenient position wherever the scope is pointed.

Larry

Attached Thumbnails

• mn86-1p.jpg
  • mn86-2p.jpg

• Paul Hyndman, Starman27, Jeff B and 9 others like this

#54 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Apollo

• Loc: Washington

Posted 17 February 2019 - 05:55 PM

Wow, beautiful job! That is really, really nice. Any chance I could talk you into making one for my MN66? :-)

#55 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Moderators
  • Loc: Madoc, Ontario

Posted 17 February 2019 - 06:40 PM

I have a Teeter dob base hanging around my house from an incomplete 8" dob project.  Some extra wood to take up the extra space due to the smaller tube and I managed to get my HD 145 on it.

Practically speaking, an 8" f/6 dob has an less than convenient eyepiece height.   The base is best used raised up on a couple of 8" cinder blocks.  Also, because the tube is short, you tend to have to sit really close to the scope which causes some inadvertent knee bumps..  It works but the ergonomics of a Discmount DM6 on a Discmount  tripod are much, much better..  OTOH the latter system isn't quite as 'grab and go'....

IMG_7777.jpg

IMG_0120.jpg

Dave

• Starman27, psandelle, SkyRanger and 3 others like this

#56 NHRob

NHRob

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southern Cloud-Hampshire

Posted 18 February 2019 - 08:26 AM

Hi Dave,

How are you liking the HD145 on DM6?

I am thinking of maybe going that route.

#57 Haydon

Haydon

Vostok 1

Posted 18 February 2019 - 09:06 AM

I know the question was intended for Dave, but FWIW I'll give you my take.  The DM6 is excellent with the Ceravolo.   Balancing is effortless and there is generally no need for re-balancing during changes of eyepieces, etc.  The operation is very smooth and virtually vibration free.  I can't imagine a better Alt/Az mount for the HD145.  If you do end up with one I'd recommend ordering the pier extension with it.

#58 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Moderators
  • Loc: Madoc, Ontario

Posted 18 February 2019 - 11:24 AM

Hi Dave,

How are you liking the HD145 on DM6?

I am thinking of maybe going that route.

The DM6/Nexus combination is a joy to use.   Smooth, very, very accurate pointing.  As Haydon said, the DM6 friction can be set up to keep the scope from moving while changing eyepieces.   Easy to track by hand at more than 300x, a power I often use to go for really tight doubles...

I have a pier extension for my Losmandy HD tripod but I find that even in the lowest leg setting the scope ends up just a bit too high for my viewing comfort (a taller observing chair might end this problem...).  So I use the Discmount wooden tripod and no extension...   Working around bumping into the legs has become second nature...

Highly recommended piece of gear, the DM6.....

Dave

#59 Brad Stewart

Brad Stewart

Lift Off

Posted 14 April 2019 - 09:00 PM

Hello!

I recently purchased a Cerevolo HD216 along with an AP900 mount. This is a huge step up from my Questar standard 3.5 scope. Anyone out there that owns an HD216 that could give me any operating / observing tips or advice using this scope would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

• Tyson M likes this

#60 MDRP

MDRP

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 14 April 2019 - 09:19 PM

The link shows my AP 180 Fast Max F4.5 on a DM-6 alt/az and AP 600e equatorial mounts. I especially like the DM-6 option: the scope delivers 6" apo performance with the rotating tube of Fast Max permitting ideal, low eyepiece placement in a rigid, low configuration.

https://www.cloudyni...deal-telescope/   

• Tyson M likes this

#61 stevenwav

stevenwav

Viking 1

• Loc: New England

Posted 15 April 2019 - 03:46 PM

Hello!

I recently purchased a Cerevolo HD216 along with an AP900 mount. This is a huge step up from my Questar standard 3.5 scope. Anyone out there that owns an HD216 that could give me any operating / observing tips or advice using this scope would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Congratulations! A fantastic scope. If you don't have rotating rings, I strongly suggest you get them. Best ep - TV35 Panoptic - as was recommended in the brochure for this scope. I think the Leica Zoom would be great as well for that scope. I can find and send you a PDF of the brochure. I had no problems with the helical focuser, just takes a bit of getting used to use it in the dark. If the AP900 proves too much, you can use an AP400 or Mach1. The DM6 would be great as well as mentioned above. What serial number do you have? I had a few HD145's as well as an HD216. Contrast, contrast, contrast. The 216 put up equal performance to my TEC180, so enjoy those views. 

#62 NHRob

NHRob

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 15 April 2019 - 05:50 PM

Wow. What did you do with your Ceravolos?

#63 SkyRanger

SkyRanger

Messenger

• Loc: Prescott Valley, AZ

Posted 15 April 2019 - 06:02 PM

Wow. What did you do with your Ceravolos?

He sold a 145 to lucky me!

GG
  • stevenwav likes this

#64 NHRob

NHRob

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 15 April 2019 - 06:35 PM

Hey, ShyRanger,

How do you like your HD145on a G11?

I am using mine on a altaz pipe mount but, it is begging for a tracking mount.

A GEM means rotating tubes which I'm not keen on.

#65 SkyRanger

SkyRanger

Messenger

Posted 15 April 2019 - 11:12 PM

Hey, ShyRanger,
How do you like your HD145on a G11?

I am using mine on a altaz pipe mount but, it is begging for a tracking mount.
A GEM means rotating tubes which I'm not keen on.

It works very well. I had it on a GM 8 which was barely adequate. You will need a tall chair as EP height can be a trifle high.

GG

#66 Tyson M

Tyson M

Gemini

• Loc: 53 degrees North

Posted 16 April 2019 - 10:20 PM

I have entertained the idea of buying a mak newt and putting it on a dob mount, since they can be somewhat heavy for their aperture. A good dob mount is not only sturdy, it usually is inexpensive.  smile.gif

Great idea. Reach out to Dennis at Dobstuff if you do.

I did for my Takahashi MT-160 and it was awesome. All you need to do is send him your tube rings and he will take care of the rest. 

#67 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern Tier NY

Posted 17 April 2019 - 08:38 AM

Great idea. Reach out to Dennis at Dobstuff if you do.

I did for my Takahashi MT-160 and it was awesome. All you need to do is send him your tube rings and he will take care of the rest. 

Dennis does amazing work.

• Tyson M likes this

#68 Brad Stewart

Brad Stewart

Lift Off

Posted 18 April 2019 - 10:48 AM

Congratulations! A fantastic scope. If you don't have rotating rings, I strongly suggest you get them. Best ep - TV35 Panoptic - as was recommended in the brochure for this scope. I think the Leica Zoom would be great as well for that scope. I can find and send you a PDF of the brochure. I had no problems with the helical focuser, just takes a bit of getting used to use it in the dark. If the AP900 proves too much, you can use an AP400 or Mach1. The DM6 would be great as well as mentioned above. What serial number do you have? I had a few HD145's as well as an HD216. Contrast, contrast, contrast. The 216 put up equal performance to my TEC180, so enjoy those views. 

The serial number is 216015. I believe there were 18 or so made. I do have the TV35 Panoptic for it as well, just need clear skies to start observing. I have never used a Helical focuser so this will be new to me. 

• stevenwav likes this

#69 NHRob

NHRob

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 19 April 2019 - 06:31 PM

Phil,

You dont really have all those scopes in your signature, do you?

That’s amazing.  

#70 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 April 2019 - 07:19 PM

Phil,

You dont really have all those scopes in your signature, do you?

That’s amazing.  

Yes I do and some not in the sig.

#71 NHRob

NHRob

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 20 April 2019 - 06:09 AM

Yes I do and some not in the sig.

I am not worthy !!!!

I am curious about your 8" DobStuff dob.  I have an 8" f/7.75 mirror being made for me (Normand Fullum).  I plan for it to be my planet buster dob.

I would love to see pics of your dob.  Maybe offline?  Thx

#72 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 April 2019 - 11:15 AM

I am not worthy !!!!

I am curious about your 8" DobStuff dob.  I have an 8" f/7.75 mirror being made for me (Normand Fullum).  I plan for it to be my planet buster dob.

I would love to see pics of your dob.  Maybe offline?  Thx

Sure, Dennis did an outstanding job. Message me and I’ll send.

#73 Jeff B

Jeff B

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 April 2019 - 12:41 PM

I'm sorry but I need to inform you all that the number of pictures being posted has fallen below minimums.

Step it up!

#74 SkyRanger

SkyRanger

Messenger

Posted 25 May 2019 - 06:35 PM

DSC_0173.jpg

Ceravolo HD 145 ready for action.

GG

• Starman27 and Colin exraaf like this

#75 NHRob

NHRob

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 26 May 2019 - 07:52 AM

How do you like those rotating rings?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics