•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tasco 304 Refractor

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#76 LDW47

LDW47

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 21 January 2019 - 03:37 PM

Do you see any evidence of gold/silver foil rectangular Passed sticker on the bottom side of the focuser housing? See ref pic.

Here is the pic of the underside of my scope !

Attached Thumbnails

• BCCBB352-0737-40D1-904F-E37F1ADC777B.jpeg

• Garyth64 likes this

#77 LDW47

LDW47

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 January 2019 - 03:47 PM

Because of the softness, the flimsiness of the thin wood veneer on parts of the original case I am not going to use it to store the scope ! Even if you were / are very careful handling it one could easily destroy certain surfaces ! In some ways they weren’t built to last, it is one of the weakest parts of the whole kit in my estimation !

#78 LDW47

LDW47

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 04:01 PM

I just recieved a hybrid diagonal that I ordered from Agena Astro so that I can use 1.25” eps in my new Tasco, this is a well built all metal piece of equipment with a great looking mirror all for $32 US + ship. One thing I have noticed with this scope that I would like to have verified is that when I insert either of the diagonals or an ep, for straight through viewing, into the ‘ eyepiece sliding sleeve ‘ there is no set screw that would securely hold them in place to prevent the diagonal from rotating in the sleeve when it was holding a heavy ep or either the diagonal / ep sliding back and falling out when viewing at a steep angle up to the zenith ? It looks like everything is held in place by friction only ? Can those that are a lot more familiar with these scopes verify this and if so have they had any problems ?

#79 JoeInMN

JoeInMN

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Minneapolis, MN, USA

Posted Yesterday, 06:26 PM

I just recieved a hybrid diagonal that I ordered from Agena Astro so that I can use 1.25” eps in my new Tasco, this is a well built all metal piece of equipment with a great looking mirror all for $32 US + ship. One thing I have noticed with this scope that I would like to have verified is that when I insert either of the diagonals or an ep, for straight through viewing, into the ‘ eyepiece sliding sleeve ‘ there is no set screw that would securely hold them in place to prevent the diagonal from rotating in the sleeve when it was holding a heavy ep or either the diagonal / ep sliding back and falling out when viewing at a steep angle up to the zenith ? It looks like everything is held in place by friction only ? Can those that are a lot more familiar with these scopes verify this and if so have they had any problems ?

I have a vintage 50mm Tasco that has no collar or setscrew on the focuser or on the diagonal; their downstream barrels both have slits to friction-grip whatever is inserted into them. If your focuser has a collar with a screw-hole but no screw, then it's time for a trip to the hardware store.

post-252462-0-66189500-1509825869.jpg

#80 LDW47

LDW47

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 07:42 PM

I have a vintage 50mm Tasco that has no collar or setscrew on the focuser or on the diagonal; their downstream barrels both have slits to friction-grip whatever is inserted into them. If your focuser has a collar with a screw-hole but no screw, then it's time for a trip to the hardware store.

There are no set screw holes anywhere on the scope, thats the reason for my post !

#81 LDW47

LDW47

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 07:46 PM

Friction fit is OK for those very lite 0.965” eps but when I start using the much heavier 1.25” eps especially a zoom lens it then becomes a different story ! I am sure others have had the same experience !

#82 DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted Yesterday, 07:49 PM

That's why the Vixen adapter is highly recommended if you plan on using 1.25" eyepieces.

#83 LDW47

LDW47

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted Today, 09:15 AM

4550B70E-B75E-4666-ACC3-3B5DCE7B7BDF.jpeg

That's why the Vixen adapter is highly recommended if you plan on using 1.25" eyepieces.

What would be the advantage of the Vixen diagonal over this one ? As I mentioned this one looks as good as it gets unless I could have gotten the out of stock dielectric model !

#84 Garyth64

Garyth64

Gemini

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted Today, 10:34 AM

That will work very well.  It looks very well made too.

The only thing for me is that it would force me to have to use the diagonal all the time if I wanted to use 1¼" eyepieces.  Which in itself is really not a problem, it's just that I like viewing straight thru when ever possible.

• LDW47 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics